Some changes to Space Law

BottomQuark

So I used to play on FTL13 server for a while, and they have some very intresting crime system there.

I looked at it and I personally think Paradise station would make use of some new crimes.

1. Insubordination
-To disobey a lawful direct order from one's superior officer.
-Charge issued by a head of staff to one of their direct subordinates. The person is usually demoted instead of incarcerated. Security is expected to assist the head in carrying out the demotion.
I would place that in the "Medium" or "Minor" category. What is the use of that? Basicly that would make people listen to the superior. From time to time we all have that engineer that just steals hardsuit and just walks around the station. If this crime existed, engineer would be imprisoned if disobeyed the order from CE to put the hardsuit back.

2. Dereliction of Duty
-To willfully abandon an obligation that is critical to the ship's continued operation.
-A demotion is often included in the sentence. Emphasis on the word critical: An officer taking a break is not dereliction in of itself. An officer taking a break knowing that operatives are shooting up the Captain is. Engineers who refuses to fix breaches can also be charged. 
In the Major/Medium category. Would force people to work in extreme situations.

Something from me:

3. (Major) Breaking of SoP
-To (severely) break the SoP
-Can be applied only if the suspect refused to follow SoP at least one time before, suspect has to get WARNING first. That includes the officers mishandling prisoners, as much as hydroponists not helping chef for a long time. The crime does not stack with crimes like "Drug Distribution" etc. What means if the crime can be called as any other, it is.
That would apply ONLY in extreme circumstances like hydroponist ignoring chefs requestes for 1,5h. Or Officer constantly badly processing prisonners. Would force people to know SoP, and make IAA job more interesting.

I also suggest some changes in parolling. What would be:

If suspect commited crime against one person, that person might PRAROLE the prisonner.

Current paroling works like "Prisoners may technically be paroled for any crime. However, for Capital Crimes, see Enemy of the Corporation above. For non-Capital Crimes, Parole may be offered at the discretion of the Warden, Head of Security, Captain or Magistrate."
That means only sec can parole the prisonner, and we all know that sometime sec might be wrong. And would ignore the "random guy walking around screaming that someone is innocent". With that system applied, manslaughtered guy might parole the prisonner. 

I know the crimes might be to harsh, BUT That's only suggestion after all.

2 hours ago, BottomQuark said:

So I used to play on FTL13 server for a while, and they have some very intresting crime system there.

I looked at it and I personally think Paradise station would make use of some new crimes.

1. Insubordination
-To disobey a lawful direct order from one's superior officer.
-Charge issued by a head of staff to one of their direct subordinates. The person is usually demoted instead of incarcerated. Security is expected to assist the head in carrying out the demotion.
I would place that in the "Medium" or "Minor" category. What is the use of that? Basicly that would make people listen to the superior. From time to time we all have that engineer that just steals hardsuit and just walks around the station. If this crime existed, engineer would be imprisoned if disobeyed the order from CE to put the hardsuit back.

2. Dereliction of Duty
-To willfully abandon an obligation that is critical to the ship's continued operation.
-A demotion is often included in the sentence. Emphasis on the word critical: An officer taking a break is not dereliction in of itself. An officer taking a break knowing that operatives are shooting up the Captain is. Engineers who refuses to fix breaches can also be charged. 
In the Major/Medium category. Would force people to work in extreme situations.

Something from me:

3. (Major) Breaking of SoP
-To (severely) break the SoP
-Can be applied only if the suspect refused to follow SoP at least one time before, suspect has to get WARNING first. That includes the officers mishandling prisoners, as much as hydroponists not helping chef for a long time. The crime does not stack with crimes like "Drug Distribution" etc. What means if the crime can be called as any other, it is.
That would apply ONLY in extreme circumstances like hydroponist ignoring chefs requestes for 1,5h. Or Officer constantly badly processing prisonners. Would force people to know SoP, and make IAA job more interesting.

I also suggest some changes in parolling. What would be:

If suspect commited crime against one person, that person might PRAROLE the prisonner.

Current paroling works like "Prisoners may technically be paroled for any crime. However, for Capital Crimes, see Enemy of the Corporation above. For non-Capital Crimes, Parole may be offered at the discretion of the Warden, Head of Security, Captain or Magistrate."
That means only sec can parole the prisonner, and we all know that sometime sec might be wrong. And would ignore the "random guy walking around screaming that someone is innocent". With that system applied, manslaughtered guy might parole the prisonner. 

I know the crimes might be to harsh, BUT That's only suggestion after all.

https://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Standard_Operating_Procedure#Causes_for_Demotion_and_Dismissal

---

Causes for Demotion and Dismissal

Refer to the above for dismissal authority. Ultimately, the decision to fire/demote any personnel falls to the relevant Head of Staff or Captain. This is merely a list of reasons to fire someone over.

Any medium-severe breach of Standard Operating Procedure without proper cause; This looks like it covers your 3 / major breaking of SOP.

Any medium crime or higher;

Critical incompetence at a given job; This looks like it covers your point 2 / dereliction of duty.

Refusal to follow legal and relevant orders by the respective Head of Staff. Legality and relevance of said orders are to be judged by the Captain or Head of Personnel; This looks like it covers your point 1 / insubordination.

Creation of an abusive and/or unsafe work environment. Personnel consistently berating, insulting, belittling, or otherwise treating their coworkers like dirt, should be immediately disciplined

---

Edited by tzo

We used to have the prior two, it honestly just lead to a lot of powertripping.

You can fire someone already for not doing their job, they don't need to be brigged as well.

A demotion is already much worse than a temporary brigging.

Temporary briggings don't last for the rest of the shift. Demotions do.

Temporary briggings don't result in you losing your access, department radio, other useful/job items, etc. Demotions do.

Adding a brig sentence on top of demotion doesn't make it significantly worse.

The demotion itself is serious enough already.

• Like 1

I've had staff members refuse to comply with a demotion before, and I'm not sure what you'd do in a situation like that other than call security to remove the person who is now a trespasser. Of course, by the time security arrived the person in question had absconded into maintenance with mutant powers and I don't think we saw him again for the rest of the shift except for when he raided his old lab with his still working ID card.

Would an actual space law have made a difference in that case and similar ones? I'm not inclined to think it would have.

Well you have the point. I personally have seen only like one demotion? I belive putting that in the space law would make it more often. But hay. Propably not :P

Edited by BottomQuark

12 hours ago, Jountax said:

I've had staff members refuse to comply with a demotion before, and I'm not sure what you'd do in a situation like that other than call security to remove the person who is now a trespasser. Of course, by the time security arrived the person in question had absconded into maintenance with mutant powers and I don't think we saw him again for the rest of the shift except for when he raided his old lab with his still working ID card.

Would an actual space law have made a difference in that case and similar ones? I'm not inclined to think it would have.

Ahelp that. People shouldn't be sparking a security manhunt over being demoted.

That's why we have IAA's and an NT Rep.

Edited by Shadeykins

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use