Separate the borg modules

shazbot194

I would first off like to say sorry about my contribution to the medical borg discussion. I was very hyperbolic and only helped fuel the fire, I still hold onto my thoughts but I think I expressed them in a very poor way. I also think that in hindsight, I wasn't even really talking about what was getting at me, and after much reading and thinking, I think I found what has been nagging me about the borg modules, the are too generic.

Medbay has about 8 unique jobs someone can do, excluding the CMO, with medical doctor covering two of these, with general practice, surgeon, and cloner. The medical borg module is more or less meant to cover three to five of these jobs, general practice, surgeon, and paramedic while being able to operate as a geneticist and cloner, but in trying to do all of these jobs, it fails to do any to a satisfactory level. This has lead to the medical borg getting quite powerful while remaining quite ineffective at any specific task.

I think if we split the borgs to be properly specialized, we would both have borgs that aren't too powerful, but are competent at their jobs. We can already see some hints at this. The current medical borg is based on what I would like to call the paramedic style borg, with a defib, roller bed, and injector producing epinephrine, charcoal, spacicilin, and saline solution. If we took out the surgical tools and made a new module for just surgery, I think it would be a lot easier to have an equivalent of the magnetic gripper for these borgs because they wouldn't become one man shows, but rather a one trick horse, that are actually good at their trick.

Other borg modules could also benefit from this specialization, imagine a service bot without instruments or the beer bottle, and instead have a small 50u drink dispenser cup and a shaker so it could make all manor of drinks. One module that does already take advantage of this is security. Under special circumstances, you can get the combat module, which is more or less the lethal version of the security borg. This ultra specialization would have some balance problems, and would make more for a case of "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!", but I think if we were to go through with it, these would be easy enough to solve. So please, tell me your guy's thoughts on this, is it a good idea, are some parts bad but others good, did I make a horrible suggestion, please tell me below. This also isn't a complete list of possibility so feel free to expand them if you want to.

Edited by shazbot194

We used to have this, it was removed because it was pretty much pointless in practice. @Fox McCloud can probably tell you a more detailed explanation than I can on why, I'm too tired right now.

Edited by Spacemanspark

1 minute ago, Spacemanspark said:

We used to have this, it was removed because it was pretty much pointless in practice.

I remember there use to be a surgical upgrade for medical borgs, but it was very lackluster. Other then the old implementation not working out, what do you personally think?

While medical does have a bunch of jobs, most of them aren't going to be done by a Borg. The only medical jobs a Borg can do really is Medical Doctor and Paramedic and those two jobs have a lot of overlap already.  "Cloner" isn't a job so much as a shared responsibility of most of medical, and it all Borgs are capable of operating the cloner anyway, so it'll never be a thing you can assign to a specific borg type. 

I just don't think there is enough variety in what medical borgs can do to justify splitting them up.  I think it would be an unnecessary nerf by overspecialization. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use