Give magistrate an announcement console

Anticept

Here's the reason: When I play magistrate, I love to high RP the role. I'd love to advertise my services for trials and to let people know they can speak with me for appeals. Going through someone else to make this announcement is a bit annoying.

Also, I would like to be able to make such announcements that I will be holding a trial.

Finally, if security is breaking space law, it's definitely within reason for the magistrate to inform them as such, since the HoS isn't always available.

• Like 4

I'm not sure how to feel about this. The magistrate should really either be handling issues within command/security channels or faxing CC. Actually reminding people to follow the law should probably be done by the HoS, as he's the one tasked with enforcing it.

It's not that it's a bad idea, but I'm starting to see magistrate power-creep a little, and I am very apprehensive about.

Edit- If you're holding a trial, you REALLY sure you want to invite all sorts of riff raff with nothing better to do in the loudest way possible? :P

Edited by SomeGuy9283

Not really a fan of the idea. They don't typically need to make any announcements, and instances of trials its simple to get the AI or someone else to do. Sorry, I don't support the concept, personally.

I was really on the fence about it for a while. It is very much within the HoS's realm to keep Sec in line, but sometimes it doesn't happen and the law breaks get so bad, that I have to get involved.

I would never recommend this if the magistrate was a normal job. Only because of its steep karma cost would I suggest this.

I've had quite a few times where as a magistrate I legitimately needed to make an announcement, but couldn't.

* When holding a trial, it's an easy way to ask involved parties to step up to the plate. If there's riffraff, you can easily have them removed.

* When the Captain decides to encourage people to perform an abject violation of Space Law via announcer, it's much easier to counter off the cuff.

* Encouraging people to speak to IAA's (as you run the department), or making your presence known if people are seeking legal advice.

* Close to the above, but clarifying the conditions on which you'll be holding trials for the shift can be a major boon.

Obviously like any announcer, misuse should be subject to bwoinking.

Edited by Shadeykins

21 minutes ago, Sothangel said:

The need is slightly mitigated by the fact that the Magistrate can now use the bridge announcement console, yes?

Can they? Did that PR get pushed through?

If so this is indeed mitigated.

Mitigated... yes that should work well enough. I was really conflicted about the access part but maybe it's unfounded... it's even rare to see HoS's hanging out on the bridge, and maybe even less so for magistrates on most shifts.

Tested. I can enter the bridge. I cannot make announcements.

'You are not authorized to send announcements.'

Magistrate ID lacks the RC Announcements access.

Edited by Anticept

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use