The Combat System

Mass595

After discussing the current combat system with a few players, it's clear that some changes should be made to it, mainly due to the fact that it is often viewed to be heavily based around being the first to stun/push your opponent over. Following is a list of ideas for possible changes to the combat system which should make disarming much less powerful and the system as a whole slightly more skill-based. I would love to see one, if not all, of these ideas implemented in some form, and encourage people to comment their opinions on these ideas, describe possible changes to these ideas, or add in their own ideas to this list.

•Changing Disarming

-(This is an idea for a complete re-work of the disarming system. Any time I use the term 'attack' here, I mean clicking on someone using the harm/disarm intent.)

-Instead of disarming having a straight chance to push someone down, have to chance to make them 'unstable'

-Someone that attempts to attack while 'unstable' has a high chance of becoming 'off-balance'

-Disarming someone that is 'unstable' has a moderate chance to make them 'off-balance' and a low chance to make yourself 'unstable'

-Disarming someone that is 'off-balance' has a high chance to push them over

-Attempting to attack someone while you are 'off-balance' has a high chance to make yourself fall over and a low chance to make both you and your target fall over if you were attempting to disarm

-Attempting to grab someone while 'unstable' or 'off-balance' has a moderate chance to remove the status effect from you and apply it to them

-The 'unstable' and 'off-balance' status effects wear off after a few seconds of not attacking/being disarmed or after another person uses the help intent on you to help you regain your balance

•Disarming Weapons

-Attempting to disarm someone that has a sharp melee weapon, such as an energy sword, while you are unarmed has a much lower chance of causing them to drop it, and a moderate chance to cause damage to the unarmed person attempting to disarm

-Attempting to disarm someone that has a sharp melee weapon while you also have a sharp melee weapon in hand still has the normal chances of causing them to drop it

-Disarming an object has a chance to send it flying 1-2 or very rarely 3 tiles away from the target

•Combat Changes

-Grabbing/harming/disarming someone has different results depending on the current intent of the target

-For example, have a chance to miss a grab on someone who has harm intent selected, but not on someone who has the help intent selected

39 minutes ago, Mass595 said:

-Disarming an object has a chance to send it flying 1-2 or very rarely 3 tiles away from the target

That's a change id like.

I feel like these are good ideas but I imagine some of them would be unbelievably difficult to program into the game. Curious what some of the people who code the game have to saunt about the viability of some of these

You're implementing further RNG into the game, and that isn't necessarily a good thing. I don't think combat should be primarily mandated by chance, as much as I dislike combat being mandated by "first to stun". Don't forget to mention stun weapons in this matter, because those weren't really brought up. Also, I hate to be the one to say it, but some of this shit just isn't going to be easy to implement, with all the shit that's been built around it.

AmericanBird.gif

1 hour ago, froz-t said:

You're implementing further RNG into the game, and that isn't necessarily a good thing. I don't think combat should be primarily mandated by chance, as much as I dislike combat being mandated by "first to stun". Don't forget to mention stun weapons in this matter, because those weren't really brought up. Also, I hate to be the one to say it, but some of this shit just isn't going to be easy to implement, with all the shit that's been built around it.

If this were something that was easy to accomplish, it likely would have been done ages ago, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Also, I know it's likely that not all of these ideas will be implemented, but I'd still like to see atleast a few of them added in. In regards to stun weapons, they should have a chance, when attempting to disarm them while unarmed, to stun the attacker.

That's the thing, I'm trying to find ways to improve the current 1v1 combat system. In regards to anti-stuns, those may sometimes be difficult to obtain, especially if you're say.. an IPC, which already have major combat disabilities.

IPCs are supposed to be weak in combat. If you don't want this downside, play a more combat orientated race.

And 1v1 is all up to the stun. If you got stunned, means you got bested.

Always invest in team mates and/or have one of the many chemicals that will lessen the stun time like caffeine or nicotine.

This is part of the game. Kind of like a hardcore shooter like Ro2. One bullet and you're dead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use