feminine and masculine IPC body parts?

Tykenn

"IPCs are generally made of metal and plasteel with glass circuit internals. Their build resembles that of a humanoid, simply made of hydraulic parts. Often incorporating synthetic muscles, IPCs are capable of using cybernetic limbs designated for other species. >>Often IPCs choose to model their chassis to resemble another species’ build in a fairly realistic manner."<<

Pulled straight from the wiki. and considering it's lore for the race, as well as this being a roleplay server. Lore plays a huge part into what happens/is happening right now. So why isn't there any feminine/masculine parts for them? It would make sense for them to have it.

Also, please no ERP-jokes/jokes or things along those lines. Let's actually have a discussion about this, instead of it being someone dismissing it without giving real reasons as to why.

Also for whatever reason, I can't edit a post. But I wanted to add this in, I'm not talking about having obscene genitalia, just a slimmer frame compared to that of the parts we have right now. Titanfall 2 does it really well. http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Titanfall_2_Concept_Art_HS-07.jpg

I know you only have so many pixels to work with, while making the sprites but it can be done.

I'm not too sure how much you would actually be able to see given the low res sprites and the clothing, I'd rather a neuter option be add rather than relatively minor sprite changes.

Keyword 'Fairly Realistic Manner'

They wouldn't build private parts because they're going be in some type of clothing and is pointless as it will never be seen and serves zero purpose.

An arm built to resemble a human arm is different because you actually see the arm.

Edited by scrubmcnoob

2 minutes ago, scrubmcnoob said:

Keyword 'Fairly Realistic Manner'

They wouldn't build private parts because they're going be in some type of clothing and is pointless as it will never be seen and serves zero purpose.

An arm built to resemble a human arm is different because you actually see the arm.

again this is why I said slimmer frame. Go have a look at the body parts for the IPC's. all of them are stupidly bulky

Just now, Tykenn said:

again this is why I said slimmer frame. Go have a look at the body parts for the IPC's. all of them are stupidly bulky

No complaint from me.

If some one wants to code that in, good stuff.

Just now, scrubmcnoob said:

No complaint from me.

If some one wants to code that in, good stuff.

Does it actually need that much code for it to work? Couldn't it just be a simple sprite change? I would of thought it would be more work to reshape outfits than it would be for coding.

3 minutes ago, Tykenn said:

Does it actually need that much code for it to work? Couldn't it just be a simple sprite change? I would of thought it would be more work to reshape outfits than it would be for coding.

Poor word choice on my part. I used the word 'code' to just mean work.

But yes, if some one wants to sprite it in and upload it to the Git and make a PR to make male frames and female frames, I can't see much opposition.

2 hours ago, scrubmcnoob said:

Poor word choice on my part. I used the word 'code' to just mean work.

But yes, if some one wants to sprite it in and upload it to the Git and make a PR to make male frames and female frames, I can't see much opposition.

How big are the sprite boxes exactly? and any other information you could offer would help me regarding this. I'll see if I can make a few. Also, I'm not sure if you know this but changing the body color on an IPC makes it stupidly bright.

You would need talk with @Dumbdumn5 as he is the elite spriter here and can help you with spriting/constructive criticism. At the end of the day, you'll get a base to work off of, the current IPC body, and can either make two new ones off this base or just make a slimmer version.

And hell ye, forum mentions are lit.

• Like 1

Elite, eh? Me and @KasparoVv both. There are a bunch more to boot, but I'm just stating the one I know the best, keep in mind I may be slow due to school and being a nerd. (Also, holy crap, didn't know this pinged me on my desktop, thing's kinda cool.)

3 minutes ago, Dumbdumn5 said:

Elite, eh? Me and @KasparoVv both. There are a bunch more to boot, but I'm just stating the one I know the best, keep in mind I may be slow due to school and being a nerd. (Also, holy crap, didn't know this pinged me on my desktop, thing's kinda cool.)

No need to rush with the replies, feel free to do it when you have time!

Not even humans have substantial differences between male/female on this game.

As someone who has played IPC *a lot* and had it as their first karma unlock (over two years ago) I really don't see the need for this. It honestly just sounds like something arbitrary (especially for a species of robots) that would add a huge amount of overhead for respriting jumpsuits (because let's face it, you're always going to be wearing one which will make this a moot point anyhow).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

Not even humans have substantial differences between male/female on this game.

As someone who has played IPC *a lot* and had it as their first karma unlock (over two years ago) I really don't see the need for this. It honestly just sounds like something arbitrary (especially for a species of robots) that would add a huge amount of overhead for respriting jumpsuits (because let's face it, you're always going to be wearing one which will make this a moot point anyhow).

See, the reason for that is because of hair styles. That's more or less how you tell one from the other without looking at the names of course. honestly I could re-sprite all of them, it isn't that hard. It would just take time. And considering that most if not all suits are the same shape- all you would have to do is reshape one>apply it to all of them>then recolor accordingly. It's more tedious than anything else really.

I'm not talking about reshaping all clothing items, hard-suits for example would make no sense. Just the more form fitting ones would be a good candidate for this

You can already tell IPC's apart based on hairstyles, because 90% of them now have hair.

I have yet to see a male with the floor-length braid on SS13 (which is a little surprising).

2 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

You can already tell IPC's apart based on hairstyles, because 90% of them now have hair.

I have yet to see a male with the floor-length braid on SS13 (which is a little surprising).

I think you're missing my point here. It's because of the lack of definition that the hair styles are NEEDED to tell genders apart from one another. Which is pretty limiting considering that most if not all of the IPC parts are very bulky and bleh looking to begin with. 

What I want from it, is to have definition between them. Nothing overly sexual or suggestive. Just a simple reshape.

Once again, if I could get the needed assets, I'll do it myself. Also have a look at the image link I posted before, I'm aiming to have it like that. It isn't overly obvious but if you keep looking you can tell them apart.

1 hour ago, Tykenn said:

I think you're missing my point here. It's because of the lack of definition that the hair styles are NEEDED to tell genders apart from one another. Which is pretty limiting considering that most if not all of the IPC parts are very bulky and bleh looking to begin with. 

What I want from it, is to have definition between them. Nothing overly sexual or suggestive. Just a simple reshape.

Once again, if I could get the needed assets, I'll do it myself. Also have a look at the image link I posted before, I'm aiming to have it like that. It isn't overly obvious but if you keep looking you can tell them apart.

As said before, it's going to require you to look at every single jumpsuit/uniform in the game and make the slimmer alternatives. While it is good in principle, when standing east/west the bodies in SS13 are only about 5-6 pixels wide, and north/south it's like 7-9.

If you can find a way to make it not look terribly janky that would be fantastic. I just don't really see it being doable, since it's going to call for a reduction of a pixel on either side (you need to take from either side, or the sprite won't be centred on tiles) which equates to a 15-30% trimming of the sprite's size (very substantial).

It may be more conducive to look into using a percentile reduction (much the way dwarfism works) and code in a better filter for downsizing/upsizing. Right now things that are upsized/downsides utilize a "best quality" filter which blends nearby pixels (which is why you get that fuzzy appearance) rather than a bicubic or nearest neighbour approach (which would preserve pixel density/not blend things.

If you do go the route of male/female parts make sure you *absolutely* get a coder (if you're unfamiliar with BYOND) and lock the options to people who select female. The vast majority of "male" IPC's are already the ones picking the feminine hairstyles/body colours, so if you don't restrict it you're going to get male IPC players picking the female parts which negates the entire purpose of your suggestion/idea.

1 minute ago, Shadeykins said:

As said before, it's going to require you to look at every single jumpsuit/uniform in the game and make the slimmer alternatives. While it is good in principle, when standing east/west the bodies in SS13 are only about 5-6 pixels wide, and north/south it's like 7-9.

If you can find a way to make it not look terribly janky that would be fantastic. I just don't really see it being doable, since it's going to call for a reduction of a pixel on either side (you need to take from either side, or the sprite won't be centred on tiles) which equates to a 15-30% trimming of the sprite's size (very substantial).

It may be more conducive to look into using a percentile reduction (much the way dwarfism works) and code in a better filter for downsizing/upsizing. Right now things that are upsized/downsides utilize a "best quality" filter which blends nearby pixels (which is why you get that fuzzy appearance) rather than a bicubic or nearest neighbour approach (which would preserve pixel density/not blend things.

If you do go the route of male/female parts make sure you *absolutely* get a coder (if you're unfamiliar with BYOND) and lock the options to people who select female. The vast majority of "male" IPC's are already the ones picking the feminine hairstyles/body colours, so if you don't restrict it you're going to get male IPC players picking the female parts which negates the entire purpose of your suggestion/idea.

Yep! that's the goal, I can make the sprites, but anything code related- I will need help with. Also someone brought up the suggestion of my parts being in its own company. Which from what you're saying. would make it a lot easier code wise.

3 minutes ago, AffectedArc07 said:

why do we need this? 

It's more of a quality of life kinda thing. Not needed, but wanted.

Edited by Tykenn

As I started messing around with it more, I've started to remodel the (human)female body/suit design to look more feminine.

Also for whatever reason the default human body has a giant belly- It's weird.

But yeah! My thought process now is that it wont matter if I change the IPC body as long as the default suit looks the same.

So far I've remodeled the side angle of the human female body and jumpsuit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use