Show the IAA's and the magistrate some love

Jared12100

Basically, security is under no obligation to listen to the IAA's unless the IAA reports a violation of SoP or something like that. The magistrate, a judge sent by NT, can only give sentences. I think a decent change to space law is that all capital crimes require a trial unless the accused can't be put on trial for safety reasons. This would give the IAA's and magistrate much more to do and make the IAA's life much more interesting. Especially since the IAA is almost entirely a RP based role.

The IAA's job is to deal with SoP violations. Why would security have to listen to them otherwise? As for trials for all capital crimes, I just don't think there is enough time to dedicate to trials for every capital crime that occurs, security is usually stretched as is.

Trials are hard to put together, difficult to manage and more often then not get interrupted by a riot of greytide or bombed by an antag as a lot of high-profile people have to be present for them.

Trials also take forever and divert a lot of manpower. Spending an entire round to prove Spud McNugget didn't steal a mech, only to show he DID steal a mech cuz his fuckin prints were on the thing, as was his passed out meth addicted ass half hanging out of it, meanwhile across the station 3-4 people just got killed or dragged screaming into maintenance, is really just not worth it.

Trials are generally only called in a case where evidence isn't 100%, but high indicative, and it's for something super serious like being an enemy of the corporation, because only then is it really worth the time.

Honestly, most of the trials would go like this:

"I accuse him of being a changeling that murdered X with his arm blade. Here's the proof."

"FUCK YOU SHITCURITY"

"Yeah execute him".

Etc. It's really rare a trial is needed, and most people demanding them are for 10 minute sentences.

I too would like to see IAA/magistrate buffed, but this is not the way to do it.

Trials, in general, are a bad idea.

If we want to buff IAA/magistrate, then a better way to do that would be to have security actions (e.g: brig timers) automatically create records that they can look at. If that was done, then they'd have better access to information about what is going on, which would help them do their jobs.

The IAA's job is to deal with SoP violations. Why would security have to listen to them otherwise? As for trials for all capital crimes, I just don't think there is enough time to dedicate to trials for every capital crime that occurs, security is usually stretched as is.

I disagree. While yeah only capital crimes merit a trial, the IAA's are supposed to act as lawyers as well. A sorta powerless magistrate

I feel like a simple change could be to edit the current trial guidelines. Currently, security can deny someone a trial, even if the magistrate requests one- which makes no sense as the magistrate is supposed to be the final say on space law. Obviously, if a magistrate is caught abusing this, they should be job banned. Additionally, it is already on the trial guidelines that trials should only be held for capital crimes.

I feel like a simple change could be to edit the current trial guidelines. Currently, security can deny someone a trial, even if the magistrate requests one- which makes no sense as the magistrate is supposed to be the final say on space law. Obviously, if a magistrate is caught abusing this, they should be job banned. Additionally, it is already on the trial guidelines that trials should only be held for capital crimes.

Yeah. That sounds even better then what i said, based on the points everyone else made.

Basically, security is under no obligation to listen to the IAA's unless the IAA reports a violation of SoP or something like that. The magistrate, a judge sent by NT, can only give sentences. I think a decent change to space law is that all capital crimes require a trial unless the accused can't be put on trial for safety reasons. This would give the IAA's and magistrate much more to do and make the IAA's life much more interesting. Especially since the IAA is almost entirely a RP based role.

Too many trials is a no-no. It would fuck up too many rounds where security cannot afford to do so.

The Magistrate can "only give sentences", which means they have absolute authority over who dies, who goes free, and why. That's quite a lot of authority.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use