Post-Freeze PR: Job Slots Increase

Kyet

This thread is for discussing a PR I plan to create, one that will increase job slots.

The main goal is to give Civilians other, useful jobs to do, rather than us drowning in civilians during highpop.

Here's what I've changed now:

• Engineer gets +1 slot, +1 locker, +1 start position at Eng table

• Atmos Tech gets +1 slot, +1 locker, all start positions moved into atmos itself

MD gets +1 slot, +1 medical hud in the supply room

Scientist gets +1 slot, +1 locker

Detective gets +1 slot, plus a ton of extra items (+1 camera, +2 camera rolls, +1 handcuffs. In closet: +1 revolver, +2 ammo, +1 seclite, +1 det scanner)

Borg gets +1 slot, with the new start position in robotics mech bay

Cargo Tech gets +1 slot, +1 locker

Shaft Miner gets +1 slot, +1 locker

Janitor gets +1 slot, and a new office.

In total, this adds:

+9 job slots

How do I fit extra stuff in for Janitor, you ask?

Old office becomes a hidden room in maint:

NOOWzUZ.png

New, bigger Janitor office is added between Holodeck and Bar:

vv4iFGq.png

Yes, this is the only office that is hidden in maint. Yes, holodeck moves north a bit.

No, it isn't really practical to fit all of this in the current Janitor office.

Yes, we do need a second janitor. Many shifts, the station is a complete mess, and lack of adequate janitors is a big reason why.

Personally, I believe the amount of blood/etc on the floor is a major contributor to people going nuts / the station seeming like a hellhole.

So, although it requires map changes, and a bigger office, I do think a second janitor slot would be really helpful.

Here's the code:

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... s?expand=1

(I have not yet reconciled how this will work with jobs.txt. For the moment, the job slot changes are in the job definitions.)

Please comment with:

• Any jobs I missed that really need more slots

• Any of the jobs above which, you feel, need more equipment to account for the higher job slots

Overall opinion: Awesome lets do it.

However the devil is in the details.

1) With the Janitor's closet's new location - would you consider implementing a camera for the AI in that room?

2) Just so I understand, your current plan with the old Janitor closet is to leave it an empty area similar to Maint surgery?

3) Shaft miner will need more suits and GPS devices also.

4)A second detective actually adds a huge amount of power to Security. Not saying thats a bad thing, but something to be fully aware of. If the intention is for it to increase the amount of paperwork done as detective it might be better to always put one Detective subserviant to the other, as an Assistant Detective.

5) A lot of the time it doesn't feel like there is a lot for cargo to do, unsure if adding another tech is necessarily the right thing to do.

I've been saying for a while that we need to restore the 2nd janitor slot. I think the new janitor office is a great idea, but I think the old one should be kept too. Spawn one janitor in one office and one in the other. Many buildings have several janitor closets, the Cyberiad can be this way too. If the cargo bot system is too difficult to set up for two janitor closets, then just set it up for one and let the other simply be a spawn point/storage area.

Don't forget to add a mining hardsuit on the asteroid for the extra miner. Honestly adding more than one would be a good idea.

I also think extra security officers would be valuable (or specialty "Prison guards" reporting to the warden as suggested in another thread). At least two. In addition to extra officer lockers (could be placed in the security meeting room), a box of secHUD's should be available in the armory. I recently latejoined as security and not one of the lockers had a secHUD. Why don't joining officers get secHUD's anymore, anyway?

Extra pair of agreeable glasses for the 2nd Detective? Maybe place in joining detectives' backpack to prevent one detective from taking both?

Add a 2nd bartender/waiter?

1 - For the janitor a new centralized office could be both good and bad, but overall the rewards outweigh the risk for it. Just make sure to have a camera installed in there.

2 - For the Shaft Miner the EVA room would need to be expanded out by one to fit the new suit needed and to be honest, a spare suit someplace else would be handy as well due to the amount of miners that go SSD after encountering a patch of bad luck out on the surface and never have a GPS so we can find them. Increase in supplies as well would be needed for that to go with the manpower.

3 - For the detective I can agree with Purpose on the fact a second detective would bring a lot of sec power and could be a problem if they are competent. Would make the antag rounds those detectives are on duty for a drag. So detective secretary/assistant role would be best.

4 - Now a place I would like to a position open as the game goes on is a Permabrig Officer. Whenever someone gets sentenced to perma, open up this spot in security and their job is to control perma brig as the warden tends to only keep watch on the front jail cells. This leads to things happening in the back there at Sec which should not normally be going on.

5 - The cargo slot is iffy for if cargo is doing their job then it gets boring quickly and there is not much to do, however if cargo techs go missing, go SSD due to the boredom, ect then things get chaotic there real quick. I think part of that problem lies in the quartermasters not hiring new assistants with the guest pass terminal when the HoP is unable to help in the situation. Maybe in the future we could create something else that cargo can do when it is quiet there.

6 - A new chef/cooking section spot of a delivery boy/girl for delivering food to departments may be something that could be done.

Another thing that could open up new things for people to do is to start working on porting over the new TG lavaland map for mining. It adds many new things for people to spawn as instead of an assistant. Ashwalkers, Free Golems, Veterinarian Hospital, Beach Hangout, Crashed Prison Ship, Botanical Plant people, and clown stuff.

1) With the Janitor's closet's new location - would you consider implementing a camera for the AI in that room?

1 - For the janitor a new centralized office could be both good and bad, but overall the rewards outweigh the risk for it. Just make sure to have a camera installed in there.

The current janitor's closet doesn't have a camera and is basically in maint, why would we need one here?

The majority of these seem great!

Although the two detectives could prove either essential or far too annoying depending on how the round goes, as the detective can often be left with nothing to do or too much to do. However the passive-rp opportunities having someone to talk to provides great areas for increased roleplaying and overall immersion!

The current janitor's closet doesn't have a camera and is basically in maint, why would we need one here?

Yes, it doesn't have a camera currently. But with its new location fully within maintenance, we should at least consider including one. Also it isn't "basically in maint" any more than the Paramedic's is currently. AKA it isn't. Where as this new location is much closer to being electrical maintenance.

I've been saying for a while that we need to restore the 2nd janitor slot. I think the new janitor office is a great idea, but I think the old one should be kept too. Spawn one janitor in one office and one in the other.

I thought about this, but then I thought:

1) If I move the office entirely, then there can be this neat secret room right next to the primary corridor. A great place for antags, etc to use.

2) Splitting the items across both offices, with some items only available in one office, means that a pair of roundstart janitors have their gear determined randomly, rather than them having a chance to talk about it, or at least swipe the cart first. Splitting them up reduces interaction.

3) There isn't really any need for the first office if we have the second. The new second office is big enough for both.

Don't forget to add a mining hardsuit on the asteroid for the extra miner. Honestly adding more than one would be a good idea.

Added one.

I also think extra security officers would be valuable (or specialty "Prison guards" reporting to the warden as suggested in another thread). At least two.

I'm inclined to agree, but I'm going to think about this for awhile before adding them.

In addition to extra officer lockers (could be placed in the security meeting room), a box of secHUD's should be available in the armory.

If I add more sec slots, I'm going to add lockers for them. Not just a box.

I recently latejoined as security and not one of the lockers had a secHUD. Why don't joining officers get secHUD's anymore, anyway?

Don't know.

Extra pair of agreeable glasses for the 2nd Detective? Maybe place in joining detectives' backpack to prevent one detective from taking both?

Added to closet.

Add a 2nd bartender/waiter?

Thought about it - but decided they probably would not have enough to do.

I can do it, though.

Done.

2 - For the Shaft Miner the EVA room would need to be expanded out by one to fit the new suit needed and to be honest, a spare suit someplace else would be handy as well due to the amount of miners that go SSD after encountering a patch of bad luck out on the surface and never have a GPS so we can find them. Increase in supplies as well would be needed for that to go with the manpower.

One suit added in the east room with the other suits.

One extra suit added in the west room with the pick.

3 - For the detective I can agree with Purpose on the fact a second detective would bring a lot of sec power and could be a problem if they are competent. Would make the antag rounds those detectives are on duty for a drag. So detective secretary/assistant role would be best.

Uh... I'm not sure if the popular support is there for creating an entirely new "Detective Assistant" job.

I'd prefer to stick with two detectives. Or simply not change the Detective role.

4 - Now a place I would like to a position open as the game goes on is a Permabrig Officer. Whenever someone gets sentenced to perma, open up this spot in security and their job is to control perma brig as the warden tends to only keep watch on the front jail cells. This leads to things happening in the back there at Sec which should not normally be going on.

This isn't really viable, for several reasons.

5 - The cargo slot is iffy for if cargo is doing their job then it gets boring quickly and there is not much to do, however if cargo techs go missing, go SSD due to the boredom, ect then things get chaotic there real quick. I think part of that problem lies in the quartermasters not hiring new assistants with the guest pass terminal when the HoP is unable to help in the situation. Maybe in the future we could create something else that cargo can do when it is quiet there.

That's the idea - it assumes at least one cargo tech will go SSD.

6 - A new chef/cooking section spot of a delivery boy/girl for delivering food to departments may be something that could be done.

Delivery boy is actually a good idea idea for a job. Arguably Cargo Techs might do this, but in practice, they don't.

Another thing that could open up new things for people to do is to start working on porting over the new TG lavaland map for mining. It adds many new things for people to spawn as instead of an assistant. Ashwalkers, Free Golems, Veterinarian Hospital, Beach Hangout, Crashed Prison Ship, Botanical Plant people, and clown stuff.

Agreed, but out of scope for this PR.

The current closet DOES have a camera. The fact the new one doesn't was an oversight.

Camera added.

2) Just so I understand, your current plan with the old Janitor closet is to leave it an empty area similar to Maint surgery?

Exactly.

3) Shaft miner will need more suits and GPS devices also.

Two suits added. One locker added.

4)A second detective actually adds a huge amount of power to Security. Not saying thats a bad thing, but something to be fully aware of. If the intention is for it to increase the amount of paperwork done as detective it might be better to always put one Detective subserviant to the other, as an Assistant Detective.

If we're going to create a whole new job which exists solely to do paperwork in the brig... hm. Maybe I should call it something else.

5) A lot of the time it doesn't feel like there is a lot for cargo to do, unsure if adding another tech is necessarily the right thing to do.

It is mostly because techs go SSD/cryo a lot.

Delivery boy is actually a good idea idea for a job. Arguably Cargo Techs might do this, but in practice, they don't.

On the first server I ever played, "mailman" was a selectable job one day of the week (it wasn't that day). I could see the old janitor's office being turned into a mailroom. A service desk a la the one at the kitchen, a disposal with a looping conveyor belt so received packages continually go in a circle like at a baggage claim. Add some package wrap, gift wrap, tape, crates, destination tagger, one MULEbot if we want to be ambitious. Perhaps a Rapid Crate Sender and a cargo telepad: now cargo can beam crates directly from the shuttle to the mailroom and just tell the mailman what to do with it. Mailman can beam empty crates back to cargo with the RCS. Give the mailman both supply and service comms, a message console and a newsfeed. Ambitious mailmen could set up a store at that location. Antags could really do well with that job, too. May need more room to make all this happen, and the more I think about it, I'd think that two slots could work.

You might say, cargo right now has the EXACT SAME layout I just described, down to the service desk. But I think that separating the mailroom from cargo could really make things interesting. Maybe cargo techs can work there instead of a new mailman job. Mailman or cargo tech, they should report to the QM.

I do actually try to play the sort of 'mailman' role on the few occasions I do get Cargo Tech.... running disposals, organising it, and distributing items that people might want that came through it... saving all the auto-injectors people disposal and mailing it to medical etc.

On the first server I ever played, "mailman" was a selectable job one day of the week (it wasn't that day). I could see the old janitor's office being turned into a mailroom. A service desk a la the one at the kitchen, a disposal with a looping conveyor belt so received packages continually go in a circle like at a baggage claim. Add some package wrap, gift wrap, tape, crates, destination tagger, one MULEbot if we want to be ambitious. Perhaps a Rapid Crate Sender and a cargo telepad: now cargo can beam crates directly from the shuttle to the mailroom and just tell the mailman what to do with it. Mailman can beam empty crates back to cargo with the RCS. Give the mailman both supply and service comms, a message console and a newsfeed. Ambitious mailmen could set up a store at that location. Antags could really do well with that job, too. May need more room to make all this happen, and the more I think about it, I'd think that two slots could work.

You might say, cargo right now has the EXACT SAME layout I just described, down to the service desk. But I think that separating the mailroom from cargo could really make things interesting. Maybe cargo techs can work there instead of a new mailman job. Mailman or cargo tech, they should report to the QM.

A server I was playing on a few months ago had the mail room separate and a little room attached to the kitchen for the food delivery boy/girls and it was actually pretty interesting. There was a good balance of antag options being available with those jobs. Captain order a special meal just for him with the highest quality ingredients and you are tasked to deliver it? How about poisoning the food or slipping in a bomb into the box.

It may also help in moving that usual chaos and bloodbath that happens in front of the kitchen/medical if food is getting delivered to departments. Maybe give the food delivery person a little robot they can ride around like the janitor has (Your food to you department in 15 minutes or less).

Two detective slots is going to be bad, to say the least; there's already rampant complaints about how difficult it is to antag--now you're going to have two people who have the ability to solve crimes--not only that, but you now have two revolvers in play, which is a huge increase in overall security power, especially given how powerful ballistics are to begin with.

The janitor's closet looks like it was tacked on, at best, and doesn't fit where it's at--it feels like a case of "let's find a spot to cram it in and put it there" not to mention it leaves an empty hole near engineering and paramedics....as for the job slot itself; we've tried it before and it didn't really work out well; really not sure why it would work out any differently this time.

Some of the jobs here don't scale well overall tasks at hand, no matter if they have an additional locker, or not---cargo tech is a prime example of this; the fact of the matter is, there's really only so much you can do in cargo, and if cargo is full, the last tech isn't really going to be able to accomplish much but greytide around on the mulebot or something similar.

+1 borg may also be a bit contentious, depending on who you ask, especially with the power of secborgs.

But we run into issues of people having absolutely nothing to join as. The station is almost always an utter mess, HOP hiring janitors is seen quite frequently. Just... Double the amount of stuff that spawns in the janitorial locker? Make most of it spawn on the janitor?

...as for the [janitor] job slot itself; we've tried it before and it didn't really work out well; really not sure why it would work out any differently this time.

...Because we are listed now and three times the population can make the station REALLY messy. That's why it would work now. The janitor's closet really only is needed once a round for many janitor players. Equip and go. I don't see how adding additional equipment to the locker to support a second janitor is a big deal. If we need to add a janistorage area in maintenance somewhere in the spirit of electrical maintenance (put an extra janicart there, a space cleaner refiller, etc.), that might be able to work to supplement the gear for a second janitor as janitors don't really "live" in their space. Their stuff can really be anywhere as long as they can access it.

That's also the reason I don't have a problem with the new janitor closet location. It's centrally located and honestly, closer to where the big messes happen anyways.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use