Post-Freeze PR: SSD Bot

Kyet

I love this idea and I believe it'll be great. However, wouldn't it just be better to just teleport SSD people to cryo and instantly store them after 10 minutes? The teleporting process would take like 30 seconds so if you see someone being tp'd you can drag them and it resets the timer if you know they're coming back. No need for a bot and it kinda makes sense, and it can't be abused in any way because it just removes SSD from the round.

If that isn't happening, yeah do the bot. However, have him phase through doors or something because even a split second is enough for anyone to pass through the door.

• 1 month later...

I love this idea and I believe it'll be great. However, wouldn't it just be better to just teleport SSD people to cryo and instantly store them after 10 minutes?

Not really. Not as immersive.

have him phase through doors or something because even a split second is enough for anyone to pass through the door.

I don't think its possible for him to phase through doors.

I could, though, spawn an invisible forcefield on his tile that lasts a few seconds, in addition to the fact he triggers the door to close manually very fast, to prevent people tailgating.

When this is introduced, it won't be part of the map by default. Admins will manually spawn it in at roundstart to observe how it influences the round.

If it goes well, it can be mapped in to be part of the default station.

If issues arise, I'll look to fix those in another PR before it is mapped in.

I don't exactly mind the idea of this except for the fact that cryo removes you entirely and doesn't allow you to rejoin the round anymore. The fact that cryo was changed to basically say "lol you were gone too long, now you can only observe" has honestly just discouraged people from taking SSD crew to cryodorms in the first place. I think it was fine the way it was before and if people were cryoing to abuse things then that's something that should've been addressed per individual case.

We might not have such an issue with SSD people not getting removed if it wasn't for those cryo changes in the first place. I generally feel bad for moving someone to cryodorms because there is the very real chance their internet died and they might take more than 15 minutes to get back on and by then it's too late for 'em and they can only watch the round.

Is it possible/likely that those cryochanges will be re-addressed?

After our discussion on Discord @tzo, I've gone from totally opposed to, moderately in favour.

How does it deal with bolted doors, or doors that have had its wired tampered with?

Quite honestly, I wouldn't want this.

There were too many times where I just wanted to leave for some minutes then come back or where my internet or power failed on me, just to come back seeing I'm a ghost. Even I mostly take SSD players not into cryo but into like, beds in medical or somewhere else where they can be SSD without being bothered and then rejoin the round when they come back.

There were too many times where I just wanted to leave for some minutes then come back or where my internet or power failed on me, just to come back seeing I'm a ghost. Even I mostly take SSD players not into cryo but into like, beds in medical or somewhere else where they can be SSD without being bothered and then rejoin the round when they come back.

Except it takes more then just a few minutes for Cryo to ghost someone, it's more like the range of 5 - 10 minutes. It can be assumed if you were willing to join the round, you were willing to play the round for it's duration.

Real life happens an shit comes up, so you gotta AFK, that's fine. But there's a -world- of difference between AFK and SSD. AFK players don't show up as SSD on examine and it's easy enough to hide in a closet to -go- AFK. AFK players would also be unaffected by the bot, since it only goes after truly SSD players, afaik. SSD are flat out disconnected from the server, and if they are gone for 10 minutes, odds are they are not coming back very quickly, and other people would be more then happy and willing to take that job slot or it's an important slot that needs to be occupied ASAP (Captain, etc.)

Bear in mind also, the Bot, last it was discussed would wait 3-ish minutes before hauling an SSD person into cryo, that basically gives someone almost 15 minutes to reconnect to a server. IF you can't make it back in 15 minutes, then you need to let someone else have a turn and try again next round.

But NOT taking SSD players into cryo, people are essentially flipping the bird to late-join players. I cannot tell you the amount of times I've logged in mid-round, and wanted to play medical, only to find the slots are all filled up. So I just observe/go Civvie and lo and behold, like 3 of the 5 doctors are SSD and just laying in the middle of the floor. And they don;t come back until maybe 30 minutes later.

If accidents happen like a power outage, then let's be honest, you weren't gonna make it back into the round sooner then 20 minutes. If you just have to restart BYOND, you'll be back in the round before cryo is a problem. If it's a computer error that hits that unfortunate sweet spot, well... That's unfortunate, but again, being honest just how common is that? and while unfortunate, there's always next round to join in again when your PC won't be a butt about playing spessmen.

Except it takes more then just a few minutes for Cryo to ghost someone, it's more like the range of 5 - 10 minutes. It can be assumed if you were willing to join the round, you were willing to play the round for it's duration.

Real life happens an shit comes up, so you gotta AFK, that's fine. But there's a -world- of difference between AFK and SSD. AFK players don't show up as SSD on examine and it's easy enough to hide in a closet to -go- AFK. AFK players would also be unaffected by the bot, since it only goes after truly SSD players, afaik. SSD are flat out disconnected from the server, and if they are gone for 10 minutes, odds are they are not coming back very quickly, and other people would be more then happy and willing to take that job slot or it's an important slot that needs to be occupied ASAP (Captain, etc.)

The problem is that AFK players do not get protection unlike SSD, so people can freely steal from you, murder or maim you or otherwise.

The bot takes 4+ minutes to even start to fetch you, plus time to fetch you, plus the time it would normally take for someone put in cryo by a third party to despawn.

And that's assuming the bot wasn't busy with someone else.

If you're gone for 5-10 minutes, the most you'll have to do is step out of cryo and walk back to your department. Not a big deal.

Heck, if you simply buckle yourself to a chair, the bot will ignore you forever.

Ditto hiding in a locker.

Ditto simply going SSD in a locked area.

Ditto many other conditions.

You can easily opt out of the bot if you want to.

Edited by Guest

The problem is that AFK players do not get protection unlike SSD, so people can freely steal from you, murder or maim you or otherwise.

A fair point, but not one really related to this particular issue. Whether or not an SSD-Bot exists an takes you into cryo, the issue you've described with AFK players being totally unprotected is still gonna be the case.

I would be in favor a suggestion to perhaps alter the rules a bit, but that's not really what this current thread is about.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use