Personal energy shield!

Holyass

As the title says.

Why don't we have Personal energy shield?

WE have laser, can make a Singularity Engine for power, Have stealth cloak, Teleporters and a hand held one too.

so why don't we have a rechargeable Personal energy shield that we can wear as a belt?

If we do add it in then here the pros and cons i will like to see.

Pros.

Blocks all range attacks.

Comes in Three versions, Poor man shield, Sec shield a lot better then the poor man shield and command level shield is the best.

Poor man shield can only block two range hits but can run off any battery, Sec shield need at least tier 2 and command level need the tier 3 and up.

Cons.

It take time for the shield to reach full strength, meaning when it's low it can block like one shot.

Cant block melee attacks.

Need a shit ton of power to get to full strength but once at full strength, it don't need as much power to keep it at full strength like 1/4 of the power need to keep it there.

EMP do a lot of damage to the shield strength like 5x damage to it meaning it can nearly out right kill the shields to 0

Have to be made at R&D after they unlock it BUT Poor man shield can be made any time but still need some stuff from R&D.

If you can think of a Con Do suggest it!

:D

It'd be a cool thing to have, reminds me of KOTOR, but TBH lasers are weaksauce enough already.

If it only blocked say the first 10 damage/a flat 50% and nothing else and had a very tight use time (something like activate it and last for 20 second before needing a new battery) that'd be fine though, makes stealing the cap's personal weapon less of a wonder combination and actually gives a reason to acquire ballistics.

Personally, I do not think this will be a good idea, giving practically everyone on the station the ability to decrease the damage of the most widely used lethal weapons does not sound too great. And giving command an extra snowflake one is also not a great idea, as it's essentially feeding them more traitor power. Making this a science item is out the question and it would have to have a very high traitor TC price to justify it being in without being unbalanced.

To be honest, when I first read it I though of the shields in Rimworld. While I cannot say if it would be broken or not, I don't think having a simple/easy to make shield would be a great idea, however if it was rare and treated as valuable equipment it might work out. I do have one thing to add, why not have them all be functional similarly with possibly replaceable batteries, but have them take up different equipment slots. The basic/civilian model would take up a backpack slot, the security takes up a vest, and command takes up the belt. This gives a meaningful decision if you want protection or storage in both civilian and command versions and if you want to have a hardsuit/armor or partial range immunity for security. Does this mean someone can have 3 different shield at once, yes, but they only have 2 pockets and a suit slot to store anything, which does limit what they can hold considerably and when they run out of charge...

For certain jobs that see themselves interacting with volatile things and hostile situations I can see that being interesting. Personal shields for security when at a certain elevation code, one for the scientist interacting with the E.X.P.E.R.I.M.E.N.T.E.R machine. Perhaps gateway explorers can be issued it if a certain degree of hostile life is found on the other side? Mining maybe if the mining map ever gets updated to something newer with more risk/reward factor in it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use