LIMITED public chem dispenser vending machine

alexpkeaton

Okay. As far as I know, we're still under the feature freeze. That said, it has been a while since I posted my last absolutely nutso suggestion, so, just for fun, here goes.

Something Shadeykins said in jest in a different thread got me thinking. Basically, Shadey responded to someone who said that if atmos could be replaced by public scrubbers and oxygen/nitrogen tanks, then why not public chem dispensers and a public cryotube while we are at it.

So, I thought, why not a public chem dispenser. We have a public botany and public tools.

Now, let me clarify what I mean. I'm not talking your fully functional chem dispenser in medbay. But perhaps a chem dispenser vending machine where you can exchange credits for units of charge. This chem dispenser would have a highly limited repertoire of chemicals, half (not even) at best. I'm not a chemistry wizard, so I wouldn't be the best person to curate the list of chems for a public chem dispenser, but the objective would be to maximize the possible safe chems concoctions while minimizing the number of unsafe combinations and eliminating any explosive chems (at least without access to a chem heater) to prevent griffing.

The vending machine concept would help bring some actual value to credits. Make credits great again! So, instead of the chem dispenser automatically recharging upon use, you would need to insert credits to get dispensing ability. If we wanted to go far down the rabbit hole here, we could have individual prices for chems. You insert your card and are charged as you dispense chems. Water could be free, sodium could be 1 credit/unit, while plasma could be 100 credits/unit. (Totally spitballing here, not sure what relative values of chems make sense/are appropriate here)

Perhaps, hacking the machine could reveal a slate of unlisted chems, but at obscene prices (only obtainable by pooling funds or hitting the slot machines).

Ok, time to get shot down! Take your best shot!

I think a public chem machine, even with limited chems, is going a bit overboard in regards to the recreational rooms for civies.

Chem dispensers are not supposed to be as common as your Costco soda fountain machine.

E: In regards to credits, can't you just play a few games at the slot machine and be a millionaire after some time?

E: In regards to credits, can't you just play a few games at the slot machine and be a millionaire after some time?

Yep. My original draft said "or play the slot machines for five minutes." I get that credits matter as much as the points on Whose Line is it Anyway but if anything is in obvious need of a nerf, it's those payout rates.

Money can be easy nerfed and balanced, but I always had question, if this game supports civilan life, like going to bar, makeing some crazy things around the station, why not have near cargo, something totally the same like cargo, where they will ask you for money and not for reason. And same near R&D and chemistry. It does not have to be near, it can be one shop who is connected to others. And the staff who would work in there should be " businessman " or just cargo guy I dont care.

But for start, we should add documentation's, to see who is buying what, and how much, to avoid abuse of dangerous thing, and also that security can be informed. Prices ups and downs. Eventually it will work.

Most people already avoid visiting medbay unless they have a broken bone, and even then it's not really required they do. I'm against giving medbay less to do. Also, it's obscenely easy to win the lottery.

Most people already avoid visiting medbay unless they have a broken bone, and even then it's not really required they do.

Agreed with this statement here, at least on the level being discussed in this thread.

It's one of the reasons that, despite the fact I think Goon's medical vending machines are really neat, I'd rather not see them added to Para because....it invariably means that only severe injuries will ever warrant a trip to medbay---otherwise, just buy things from a vendor and be done with it.

why would anyone like to go to medbay, where they put you in to sleep and you can just pray that you will get good doctor that is healing you less of half round time. I guess you never have been sleeping all round in the medbay, and prety much all changeling and vampires are mostly there.

Most people already avoid visiting medbay unless they have a broken bone, and even then it's not really required they do.

Agreed with this statement here, at least on the level being discussed in this thread.

It's one of the reasons that, despite the fact I think Goon's medical vending machines are really neat, I'd rather not see them added to Para because....it invariably means that only severe injuries will ever warrant a trip to medbay---otherwise, just buy things from a vendor and be done with it.

Put just one machine near surgery and restrict it with medical access so only medical personel can use it? It would be very useful to be able to replenish things like trauma kits, gause, salve etc. chemistry cant do such things.

Put just one machine near surgery and restrict it with medical access so only medical personel can use it? It would be very useful to be able to replenish things like trauma kits, gause, salve etc. chemistry cant do such things.

Those items are all inside of the existing Medi-Vends and those are all over the place.

Medi-vends have Gauze, Trauma Kits and the Burn Kits out of the advanced First Aid Kits, as well as Splints. So they kinda already exist.

I think the same goal could be achieved by making obtaining reagents from on-station materials more common. Sulfur from matches, more botany plants could have reagents, chef could make or have some reagents. I think spreading different chems around various service and civilian jobs or areas would be best. Take effort to obtain it all but doesn't take an insurmountable amount.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a medical vending machine in public spaces, however only those with chemistry and medical access can set them, they can set prices, and it starts off unstocked, needing to be manually stocked?

The money would either go to the medical department's funds with a portion to the person who set up the sale, or just the person who set up the sale, depending on how we want to do things.

That way, the station only ends up with direct access to chems that the people who stock the machines themselves see to be safe and worth the effort, with consequences possible given a misjudgement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use