New Rule Regarding On Server Voting

nickcrazy

I think I can speak for a good majority of people who don't want to see another salt festival on the OOC channel when I say that we need to crack down on what sort of votes should be done on the server during a round.

First off, this is simply a suggestion to add a rule for staff members to adhere to for the sake of stopping a round from grinding to a halt due to a simple vote that was started.

The rule suggestion is as follows.

Anything that does not effect the current round or that involves maintaining the server such as code discussions, server rules, and administrative duties should NOT be put up as a vote on the server and should be taken to the appropriate forums for discussion.

I am more than happy to hear any and all suggestions by staff and players regarding this new rule suggestion. I believe this is best for the server and quality of the round.

Define appropriate forums.

I say this simply because there's a lot of people who might be deterred from voting because they don't want yet another account, on yet another website simply to discuss things that directly affect the server.

As the person who did that, I do apologize as it was more to prove a point then anything.

However I don't mind this as all, and I understand where you're coming from. We probably should keep that to the lobby.

I don't see why there shouldn't be guidelines for it, I was there to witness this and it wasn't very pretty thanks to the lack of context more than anything else.

Edited by Guest

Define appropriate forums.

I say this simply because there's a lot of people who might be deterred from voting because they don't want yet another account, on yet another website simply to discuss things that directly affect the server.

The appropriate forums being the subcategories on the forum, such as Code Discussions, wiki-development, and so on.

Of course people are also able to give their opinions on the github while the code is in development if they so wish. I don't see how though that the majority of our player base would not have an account on the forums as it is used for appeals, applications, and general discussions.

Totally disagree.

I think we should have more votes on the server, not less.

Sure, most of our regulars have forum accounts. That said:

1) Not all do. Especially not on github. Even those that do might not check them as regularly as they log into the game.

2) Doing things on forum/github gives far disproportionate influence to people who don't actually play on the server much, if at all. These people should not have as much influence as the people who actually play on the server consistently.

3) Forum/github/etc is essentially useless for any straw poll, or vote that needs to be concluded quickly, such as "should we have an extended round right now?"

4) Creating server polls in-game already requires a ridiculous level of permissions, I think the R_PERMISSIONS flag that only very high-level staff have. Are we seriously considering the idea that we don't trust our headmins to use their best judgement on whether or not to run polls? Seriously? Hell, I'd go further and say that the ability to run polls should be given to all senior and fullmins as well. If there's a group of admins on, and we're deciding whether or not to have an adminbus round, being able to do a poll first to gauge how people are feeling would help us keep the playerbase happy.

server votes are very easily manipulated and account for non-regulars as much as they do regulars

you could, for example, hold a vote regarding removing tasers during a round where security are being particularly bad.

Edited by Guest

server votes are very easily manipulative and account for non-regulars as much as they do regulars

you could, for example, hold a vote regarding removing tasers during a round where security are being particularly bad.

Whilst easily influenced, they're still much better samplings than GitHub presently provides.

I'm with tzo on this, some of the most active people on the server don't even have GitHub accounts.

A lot of the regulars don't even have forum accounts, let alone the extra GitHub account.

It provides a heavily skewed version of things where the opinions of a select group of people significantly outweigh everyone else.

You can't just say "well sign up for GitHub then", as no small number of people feel like their opinion wouldn't matter anyways, and most people don't have time to keep up to date on happenings on the server itself, the discord, the forums, as well as the GitHub. This is further evidenced by a recent event where people said explicitly that, were told to get a GitHub, and then immediately told their opinion didn't matter anyways because "it's already merged so too bad".

If you're worried about vote manipulation/how a round is going affecting the outcome of a vote on a contentious issue, perform 2-3 votes during separate rounds during a day, and you will get a very accurate sample of what people think about something. There's even a polls button on the lobby screen that has sat empty for the past two years (At least, every time I've clicked it it has been).

So... what sort of votes should be?

What's the point in voting in the middle of the round anyway? What sort of situation you've encountered that you needed to hold a vote?

If we're already on the subject... we should add "highlander" as an option in the 2 hours mark. Or just an "event" option which starts some sort of event (xeno infestation, wizard, blob, nuke ops, meteor, mega-spiders, etc.) but it's a secret event so the station doesn't know... what it is.... until it's too late

There's even a polls button on the lobby screen that has sat empty for the past two years (At least, every time I've clicked it it has been).

We have that? I didn't notice... no one noticed... Can we add polls to it? and how?

Edited by Guest

"Show Player Polls".

It's on the same menu where you ready up and select your character.

I don't think I've ever seen it used.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use