Role-specific traitor objectives

duckchan

so, we were talking about this yesterday in OOC chat about how to make rounds and roles more varied. i threw out the idea of role-specific traitor objectives and gave a few examples and it seemed to go over well, so i was asked to make a thread for it, so here i am

the problem i notice the most when playing tator is that the objectives are always the same unless adminbus'd in, so things like "steal secret documents", "steal the medal of captaincy", etc etc. the issue that arises is that this consistency enables powergaming on both sides in that the captain/heads/etc will hide what should be IC just seemingly innocuous items like the medal, and then for traitors that are experienced it becomes very trivial to snag these items just from their past playthroughs and their own knowledge OOC of where people tend to hide shit or what have you.

SO, onto the meat of the idea, i used to play on GOONstation back in the day and they had a pretty cool "miscreant" system that gives you micro objectives dependent on your role, usually dumb things like "make sure the bar is clean at all costs" as the janitor, or "make useless renovations to ____" as engineer.

this makes me thing, why not have specific traitoring objectives to your job role? the chef has to feed human flesh to X amount of people on station (or has to make food from X amount of crewmembers), the chemist has to create X amount of drug addicts on station, botanist has to get X amount of people stung by bees, robotocist has to make X amount of subverted borgs.

the possibilities are endless, and these are just some examples there were thrown around during the OOC discussion, and i don't know how realistic this is from a coding perspective, but here it is anyways.

thoughts?

+1

Job specific objectives would still have to be general enough that security doesn't instantly know who's doing something like poisoning the food with cyanide. The briefcase full of bees is a good example: Once that sound file plays, every last botanist is set to arrest and botany gets swarmed by angry officers and hunters.

I'd be down with something like this. Hell, I'd like to see non-antag objectives for each department too since Science already has 'em (albeit they're a little bit broken.)

The objectives for science and robotics work fine, don't they? Roboticists complete their objectives when they finish a ripley or put a posibrain/mmi in a cyborg body, scientists complete their objectives when disks loaded with tech are shipped in a closed crate on the supply shuttle. Unless you meant broken in another way.

I'd like to see it added back in, then again I'd also like to see a lot of the gimmick objectives brought back.

Whatever happened to "escape with corgi meat"? :( (I know what happened to it, but still, I want it back!)

The objectives for science and robotics work fine, don't they? Roboticists complete their objectives when they finish a ripley or put a posibrain/mmi in a cyborg body, scientists complete their objectives when disks loaded with tech are shipped in a closed crate on the supply shuttle. Unless you meant broken in another way.

allow me to clarify, i meant antag objectives that are specific to your job role on round-start.

when i was speaking of the more broader micro-objectives i was comparing it to the miscreant system on GOONstation, which i can elaborate more on if you aren't familiar with it

• 3 weeks later...

I do really like the idea. plus it would kind of give people creative freedom a little with their characters especially when they are traitor. Plus it might also fix some things with 'noticeable' traitor activity. it often kind of times feels like traitor rounds, all be it the slow rounds people enjoy, kind of get increasingly redundant. (Because traitors mostly do the same things currently, kill X person, space body wait till end of round. or steal x thing wait till the end of the round). The chef thing seems kind of fun, granted you would have to make something to where people do notice the fact that what they are eating is 'strange meat' or something. alternatively, you could make that objective itself vary a little, as sometimes it might not be Human Meat. sometimes it might require Vulpakanin, or Tajaran, or you to make X amount of Roburgers and feed them to X amount of people (whether forcibly or just getting them to trust you when they eat them though the problem is how would you code that?). Also giving a traitor clown or Mime like scary objectives that are stupid hard for no reason would be funny (like the clown has a nuclear self-destruct code like a nukie, and he has the die gloriously thing as well and his objective is to blow up the station. wild-card kind of thing.) Anyways! I won't say more due to fear of boring people. I really like the idea. +1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use