Aliens-Style Self Destruct Procedure

SigholtStarsong

As it stands, I personally feel like the Nuclear Fusion Device that we have on the station - the mobile, unwired one - makes very little sense as to how it's armed in a Malf round. It's clearly a standard Fat Man style nuke attached to wheels with a disk drive.

As a replacement, I propose an Aliens-style Self Destruct system.

The nuke disk would be replaced by the four arming bolts, and would require 5-10 seconds each for an installation. The nuclear code provided by Central would be the final override code separate from the physical safeties - and something the AI could hack since it'd be wired into the station, bypassing the physical interlocks and code.

Nuclear Operatives could steal a single bolt and arm their nuke with it. And failing that, they could arm and defend the Station's self-destruct system, perhaps allowing them to buy "Bolt Grease" for 1TC for instant bolt activation.

Twinmold has voulenteered to code it and it'd be easy enough to sprite.

Doing some cross firing back and forth, I may have figured out a way to go about it.

Captain still has the NAD. The self-destruct mechanism is built into the station (vault), and therefore cannot be moved. He uses the NAD to open the actual lid on it, but everything else is internal. Entering the code given by Central. When you open the case, you right-click to take out a pin. You click (help intent) on the case to arm the pin. Takes the 5 to 10 seconds to arm each pin. If you click (disarm intent) with a pin in your hand, you put it back into the holder for pins. If you click (disarm intent) without a pin, you start taking a pin out, taking x amount of time to take out. Clicking (help intent) pulls up an informational, so show how many pins are in place, time on the self-destruct, and allows you to insert the given code to start the self-destruct, as well as the override.

Nuke ops still only need the NAD to arm THEIR nuke, AI Malf makes sense in Delta because the self-destruct is built into the station.

Soman also suggested giving the heads a way to bypass the need for the codes, in the case admins aren't on, but I think senior staff should vote on that.

I'm going to add these in, as a change from the "CODE DELTA" stuff.

ON arming:

Public Station Announcement : Self-Destruct System Activated - Attention Crew: The Internal Bluespace Implosion Device is now active. The station will self-destruct in T-10 minutes. The option to override will expire in T-5 minutes. Please reach minimum safe distance.

And, at 5 minutes:

ATTENTION CREW - Bluespace Implosion Device has reached supercritical state. The option to override has expired. Please reach minimum safe distance.

And at 10 seconds, just for giggles:

ATTENTION CREW - Bluespace Implosion Event imminent. All crew within implosion radius are reminded, as per employment contract, Nanotrasen cannot be held responsible for death, disability, or dismemberment due to Bluespace Implosion Events. All Nanotrasen based Life Insurance Policies have been canceled. Have a nice day.

Now, if the crew cancels within 5 minutes:

ATTENTION CREW - Bluespace Implosion Override accepted. Phase-shift cyclotrons spinning down. Implosion core byproducts venting to space. Estimated cost of abort sequence, 5.2 million credits. Crew payroll reductions for expense reimbursement active.

I'm going to add these in, as a change from the "CODE DELTA" stuff.

ON arming:

Public Station Announcement : Self-Destruct System Activated - Attention Crew: The Internal Bluespace Implosion Device is now active. The station will self-destruct in T-10 minutes. The option to override will expire in T-5 minutes. Please reach minimum safe distance.

And, at 5 minutes:

ATTENTION CREW - Bluespace Implosion Device has reached supercritical state. The option to override has expired. Please reach minimum safe distance.

And at 10 seconds, just for giggles:

ATTENTION CREW - Bluespace Implosion Event imminent. All crew within implosion radius are reminded, as per employment contract, Nanotrasen cannot be held responsible for death, disability, or dismemberment due to Bluespace Implosion Events. All Nanotrasen based Life Insurance Policies have been canceled. Have a nice day.

Now, if the crew cancels within 5 minutes:

ATTENTION CREW - Bluespace Implosion Override accepted. Phase-shift cyclotrons spinning down. Implosion core byproducts venting to space. Estimated cost of abort sequence, 5.2 million credits. Crew payroll reductions for expense reimbursement active.

I love this. I love everything about this.

Exactly, from multiple standpoints gameplay depends on the nuke being a mobile entity.

The nukeops hiding theirs. Defending the stations by moving it away from alien/blob infestation.

Admin events.

I like the idea of changing the nuke, I even had my own idea that would make it more dramatic for the crew. I for one really like the ending to [spoiler2]hotline miami 2

[/spoiler2] so yea like that instead of a cutscene.

Nuke ops nuke would be unchanged. As I stated, the NAD would still exist so they only need that, and for the new case would just be required to open it.

We might be able to do something where it starts bolted down, attached to the station. You can wrench it to move it (takes a little bit of time), and go to any other area with power/powernet attachment and wrench it back down (also takes a little bit of time). However, to use it, it must be attached to the station. Soon as Code Delta is activated, it locks down (and can't be wrenched up).

Admins can delete it and replace it with the old nuke (as it would still be in the code), and vice versa. It would just be listed, more likely than not, under the obj/machinery/nuclearbomb list. Or I could do it under obj/machinery/selfdestruct or nucleardestruct

Whats to stop someone from cutting power to the room it in? Also be cool if could cut though the bolts with a welder unless there made of super alloy made only for the bolts lol.

The onboard station device is meant to not move once armed, in the design I have. Once it's armed, it's priming the station's explosive mechanism/bluespace mumbo-jumbo. Realistically, it'd have its own internal power source, so that really wouldn't be a problem, so perhaps not the need for power. Effectively, once Code Delta is declared, the AI would already have a program inside it (but it'd now make more sense, as it'd actually not be the nuke itself the AI is hacking, but the overall self-destruct system. Right now, it's just the nuke the AI is hacking into, which would be impossible in its current state... My immersion of the AI breaking all laws of physics to hack something that it has absolutely no way of hacking..).

Wireless connections lol. Maybe there some old self destruct built into the station that everyone forgot about that AI discovers once it hacks into the systems.

That would still mean a big change to the way these gamemodes work. In a way that exchanges something that already works for something that may not.

That would still mean a big change to the way these gamemodes work. In a way that exchanges something that already works for something that may not.

Not particularly - Most rounds I've seen where the nuclear weapon has become needed and the codes were granted, the crew moves the nuclear device to a safe location and then defends it as a stationary object (As the Securing Bolts make it one.) I don't see how this would play any differently, except maybe giving an antag half a chance so someone doesn't yakkity sax the nuke everywhere.

Wireless connections lol. Maybe there some old self destruct built into the station that everyone forgot about that AI discovers once it hacks into the systems.

Frankly, it breaks my immersion that we'd be using a uranium-gun fission weapon (Which are built without wifi for a very good reason) this far into the future where we have Bluespace Artillery.

Even Star Trek had the self-destruct packages built into the ships proper - the warp core overloads and fusion generator overloads were just icing on the cake.

• 1 month later...

As iterated before: This would be the station self-destruct itself. Things like nuke ops would still have a mobile nuke. It'd overall make more sense than an old fat boy style nuke. You wouldn't be able to counter it without the NAD or pulling the pins, depending on if it was locked again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use