Botany Layout

KittyRIP

Right so been doing Botany for a bit and the current layout has been bugging the life out of me, its about as efficient as wet noodle body armour. Sooo I spent a very productive day at work redesigning it in excel so yeah will try to explain the best I can in pretty colours... the obvious white colour is floor.

Botanylayout_zps267a2cb0.jpg

Yup that was my objective with the design, the only thing needed to make that totally possible would be the addition of 1 more water tank. The design also makes it easier for a lone botanist to manage all planters with minimal travelling.

It's an interesting design, but it has quite a few issues:

-Botanists will have to walk much farther now to get water

-The Seed extractor is located in a 1x1 area that is easy to trap people in (or you'll have to wait for someone to finish doing what they're doing)

-The front desk location is incredibly jammed; again, easy to trap someone or just plain get frustrated waiting for someone to move.

-Much further walking to have to get seeds, fertilizer, and medicine (and to grind up plants)

-Farmbots are now going to be incredibly irritating to have/use because:

--the crowded and many 1x1 space means it will inevitably have to be incessantly moved, a lot by Botanists because it's crowding or wedged itself in a 1x1 space

--Provided the Botanists are standing at the entrance or center of their "C" styled plots, it means the bots will be unable to utilize or help out with nearly 25% of the plots.

I appreciate your input on this and your design (nice diagram), but it, unfortunately, has some major issues, and contrary to your design intent it doesn't really increase efficiency, I'm afraid. It optimizes for total possible volume, but completely sacrifices on total space, movement efficiency, and access in order to do it; it also has "scaling" problem---With the previous Botany you could scale up to 4-5 Botanists without a gigantic issue (I realize there's only 3)--under this setup, you're locked with pretty much 3, as any more than that and they'll be crowding each other incessantly.

Actually Fox having tried it out practically last night on the server I agree 100% with pretty much all you have said. My focus was on creating those planter U's so you could stand in that little area hitting all 7 planter trays and thus I thought about fitting as many in the room as possible.

But after actually trying it out there was still a lot of times the cramped middle pathways felt constricting, also Farmbot didn't seem to function properly so makes me wonder if its the layout, I will have to see about getting hold of proper mapping tools in order to be able to practically test my designs. It kind of achieved what my goal was (see first paragraph) but I didn't take anything other than that into consideration. I think a larger room would possibly be required to enhance the department.

Thank you Nec for implementing my design however, I guess I need to test things a bit more though.

It's ok! Don't get too discouraged; just keep working at it.

Also farmbots are supplemental help; they're not 100% optimal, nor should they be (or Botanists could just set up a few and go do whatever they wanted). They only activate when the lights on the tray pop up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use