Minor atmos improvement

CrAzYPiLoT

This is just a minor suggestion, as the thread name implies. I am suggesting that at least one pair of insulated gloves is added into atmosia. I play as atmos often, and almost every round, I have to remove the door in the isolated section of it for imporvements, even if only for aesthetics. Not really a big deal, but it would make my and a few more lives easier.

Really its only fair considering engineers have access to everything atmosians have except for the firefighting backpacks and the fireaxe which really isnt so great when it is easily disarmed and ends up used against them. Engineers can operate air alarms and have pipe and disposal vendors. Atmosians cant even go into the tool room, cant use engi vending machines, cant open engi lockers, welding lockers, electrical lockers, cant open tech storage , cant set airlock electronics. They also need them to move or change the turbine and have it hooked to power.

Really, atmosians are just gimped engineers without gloves. They can't even use the gases they have without getting banned, and even if they could LINDA is too shitty to do anything besides try and light the station on fire. Can't stun/knockdown people with overpressure, instead they get to fight space wind.

If nothing else they should have gloves just so they can get into departments in emergencies. Usually when someone yells fire or plasma, atmosians are the only ones who can and will immediately run over there (possibly dragging a near useless scrubber). Then they get to stand at the door for 5 minutes yelling at the AI to let them in trying to get into toxins which the AI can't see you trying to do.

Yes it is technically a good buff to them, however at the same time, no one cares if atmosians have gloves, they usually rush into open engineering doors to steal them anyways or otherwise bust into tech storage. Just so they can do their job. Both disposal and air pipes go under doors and through departments illogically. Unless the entire stations pipe system is rebuilt from the ground up to logically go through halls and maintenance and branch off like you would expect they need gloves just to be useful.

The only thing not starting them with gloves does is annoy them and make them shock themselves or break walls to get them.

An alternative solution to this would just be "Give Atmospheric Technicians access to the engineer equipment room." I played a lot of engineering this weekend, but I'm not exactly sure why Atmos would have access to these gloves

Practically, it makes sense so that Atmos members can easily break into a room to when the AI is absent to fight fires. Or to drag air scrubbers across a plasma filled room

But I don't think engineers get access to multi tools and insulated gloves so that they can hack doors. ICly, I'm fairly sure that engineers only get these tools so that they can mess around with wiring, check to make sure certain areas get certain power, don't get shocked by exposed wiring, blah blah blah.

Of course, hacking doors is an amazing thing you can do, but I think that kind of stuff makes sense for an OOC point of view and not an IC point of view. Again, Ive been playing in engineering enough so I have a basic grasp of engineering concepts, but I also am not by any stretch of the imagination experienced enough to claim that I understand what I'm talking about.

An alternative solution to this would just be "Give Atmospheric Technicians access to the engineer equipment room." I played a lot of engineering this weekend, but I'm not exactly sure why Atmos would have access to these gloves.

Two words, gentlemen, just two words.

Air Alarms.

Or, more detail-y and less reference-y: Air Alarm repair, since it involves the dicking of wires that can and will electrocute you.

Not that people ever e-mag an Air Alarm or whatever, but that would be the presumed reason, same as Engies get them because it is required in APC repair.

To be honest, if Atmos wants to be lazy, he can fight fires without leaving his chair. All the atmos alarms run into a single computer is atmos department. Same as AI, ye can remotely regulate room temp., pressure, air contents etc. If ye open another computer up right next to it, ye can even view the cameras...

Why not make airlocks have atmos access when there is a fire or atmos alert. Sure, it might get abused if you use the atmos alert for it, since they technically could activate the alert from everywhere, but for a fire alert, it would be okay, since you need to be physically there already for it, or a real fire.

I don't think you can actually set off an atmos alert remotely without there already being some kind of alert already present which gives you control. Plus the alarms are trash, 3/4 of the room can be on fire without the alarm going off thanks to the shitstain that is LINDA.

I don't think you can actually set off an atmos alert remotely without there already being some kind of alert already present which gives you control. Plus the alarms are trash, 3/4 of the room can be on fire without the alarm going off thanks to the shitstain that is LINDA.

Ohh yes you can. That atmos control computer is one of the best kept tator atmos tech weapons.

That computer gives you AI level control over every air alarm on the station, without having to go near the area. Pressureflood an area, scrub the O2 out, panic syphon, set for coldroom and freeze someone, you name it.

Best part? 99.9999% of the time, the AI will get the blame.

In the end though, I'd rather just have a merge of engineering and atmos tech as a job, and make atmos tech a subset of engineer, like the electrician title.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use