A little factory for assistants

Renomaki

Aah, poor, poor assistants.. Forced to either roam the station with little to do, or just waste all their time at the bar getting drunk. Being an assistant is a rather dull job, which makes one wonder what the point of even being one is, other than so you could skip the job timer and get jobs out of your reach ahead of time at the HoP.. But then, you aren't playing an assistant anymore once you get a new job.

Sometimes, I wanna be more casual, not have to worry about making sure there is food for the crew, that the hallways are clean of vomit and blood, or that people's boo boos are better.. Sometimes you just wanna kinda chill as an assistant.. But then, on the other hand, you still FEEL like you should at least do SOMETHING.

I always felt that assistants needed more of a use other than an easy loophole though the job timer or a "lazy do nothing" job, something they could do to contribute to the station's profits.. So, what about a little factory for them to play with?

You already have a massive toolshed full of tools that often is just abused more than anything, why not give those tool-wielding assistants a tad more to do with them, make them low-paid factory workers who tune up the machines that mass produce random trinkets to ship back to NT corp to provide cargo more funds for supplies? It would allow a whole new career line, and keep them more in check rather than just, you know, running around aimlessly shitfaced, pretending to be super heroes due to a lack of things to do with their job.

Even CARGO TECHS have something to do when there is no cargo to haul (sorting through trash in the trash room), so something for an assistant to do when he is feeling productive would be a nice idea, I think.. But what about you?

Assistant is the job if you want to just chill and break into places. I dunno.

I can get chillin, but breaking into places as a non-antag is not really what you should be doin, you know? They be called assistants for a reason.

Oh well, tis an idea. A really old one in fact, back on a different server.

It's called the greytide for a reason. :P

I always thought assistants were supposed to kind of "assist" those in current jobs. It's a no-access job that can potentially give you temporary access when someone wants your help. That's not what the job turned out being however but it's kind of what it was thought to be at least.

You might be able to give assistants a play to work near arrivals where the spare offices are. Might need more space than that but it's possible I think. Not sure what they could do however but it has to be something that gets the player something out of it. I can't think up of anything but random things you send to CentComm isn't going to work

I kinda like the optional sweatshop idea. maybe pull a science type thing and have the assistants get a metric for the end round of (produced X license plates) actually....what if the brig had something like that?

Completely not needed.

Assistants already have access to the hop, mini botany, and tool storage to be able to make their own way.

They don't need a make work station.

I feel like this is the kind of suggestion that is made when someone comes back to a game too soon, and wants to change things purely for the sake of changing them.

Or it could just be a bit of a misguided suggestion, which we all make.

I wouldn't be against adding SOMETHING for assistants to do when they don't want to be any kind of job or can't be for whatever reason and can't do anything they haven't already done.

Or it could just be a bit of a misguided suggestion, which we all make.

I wouldn't be against adding SOMETHING for assistants to do when they don't want to be any kind of job or can't be for whatever reason and can't do anything they haven't already done.

Going through it logically, everyone has the oppurtunity to pick a real job or even a joke job like clown or mime.

After that assistants can go to hop for whatever bullshit makework job they want, they have access to maint tools, tool closet, and the gateway.

They could do their initial job of assisting people, too. Who is not being served by the huge variety of things that can be done already?

This is not so much misguided as just not though enough to realize there isn't a population being underserved.

1) Maybe they don't like any job that's available?

2) No they don't have gateway access.

3) Everyone says "no" when you ask if they need help.

I've found this a lot, you're much better going to the HoP and hoping someone needs help. Becoming a medbay/engi/sci assistant is a great way to learn without the responsibility/expectation of doing the job properly.

I've found this a lot, you're much better going to the HoP and hoping someone needs help. Becoming a medbay/engi/sci assistant is a great way to learn without the responsibility/expectation of doing the job properly.

Honestly, they have to implement an internship system for assistants. Go to HoP's office, ask for an internship at [job] and get a special ID that allows limited access for certain jobs, allowing people to get a taste of what a job is like without having too much responsibility, as well as freeing up the hands of current staff to focus on more important things.

For instance, it would be nice to have some more workers at the front desk in medbay so that they can keep people organised and control the doors while the doctors can focus on medical work, or to have someone do some minor tasks in brig to make the Warden's job easier, such as record keeping and such.

Being an assistant is one of two things: either a free pass to sit on your ass and do nothing while the station goes to crap, or an opportunity to be able to try jobs that you haven't unlocked yet. However, in the case of things like security, I really would like it if there was an intern position rather than a full job.. Security is a lot to take in for a newbie/person who doesn't play security often if at all.

Honestly, they have to implement an internship system for assistants. Go to HoP's office, ask for an internship at [job] and get a special ID that allows limited access for certain jobs, allowing people to get a taste of what a job is like without having too much responsibility, as well as freeing up the hands of current staff to focus on more important things.

For instance, it would be nice to have some more workers at the front desk in medbay so that they can keep people organised and control the doors while the doctors can focus on medical work, or to have someone do some minor tasks in brig to make the Warden's job easier, such as record keeping and such.

Being an assistant is one of two things: either a free pass to sit on your ass and do nothing while the station goes to crap, or an opportunity to be able to try jobs that you haven't unlocked yet. However, in the case of things like security, I really would like it if there was an intern position rather than a full job.. Security is a lot to take in for a newbie/person who doesn't play security often if at all.

They "have" to?

There are guides and SOP that help out with a lot of the background info, and admins and mentors are there to help in-game.

If you want to be a front desk attendant, then you just need to talk to the HoP and they're going to let you.

None of the jobs on the station except maybe engineering are necessary to have other departments function. Learning on the job after reading a guide is absolutely possible.

I don't see anyone who falls through the cracks between the guides, HoP, admins and mentors, and I'm waiting for a suggestion from you that changes my mind or wouldn't require a lot of coding time and effort for pointless busywork.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use