Disable Eat Anything genetic power if person is restrained.

Keroman

The Eat Anything power seems to get overlooked a lot by people when it comes to dealing with threats on the station. For those of you not so familiar with genetic powers someone with Eat Anything can literally, at a moment's notice, eat whatever item is within 1 tile or anything on their person, INCLUDING HANDCUFFS.

I can understand why it makes sense, but if the person is being restrained, as in ctrl-click while they're in cuffs, they can't move or take other actions besides trying to resist out of the cuffs which can be stopped by wiggling them around. Even bucklecuffing doesn't stop someone with Eat Anything, though it makes less sense then seeing as their arms should be shackled to the bed or chair so they CAN'T reach the cuffs with their mouth.

Really in my mind the Eat Anything power is basically an easier-to-acquire version of a Freedom Implant, although in all fairness it's also easier to remove. I'm sure some people in this thread are going to say, "Just get Mutadone, you do it for Hulks!" Well Mutadone widely varies in availability from shift to shift and if someone's running around wreaking havok with genetic powers it's very likely that Medbay is crazy busy dealing with the casualties. You got no chemists, or the chemists are incompetent? Too bad. CMO's busy? Too bad. Sec officers can yell all they like about needing mutadone but I've seen it get ignored way too often, and unlike with Hulks you can't nullify the Eat Anything by dropping their health to 25% or below.

If you DO manage to get the person stunned and cuff them while they're conscious they can still get out, wasting your cuffs in the process. What's that? You've cuffed them 3 times and now they've eaten all the cuffs you had on you? Now you can't restrain them at all even if you do manage to stun them again. You essentially have to keep them stunned and hope that someone can get you mutadone in time which is always very dependent on crew competence. Once your stun baton and taser run out of juice you're basically forced to go lethal unless the person manages to run off and lose you, but what kind of Sec Officer just lets someone run? If you chase them you better be ready for a fight, but lacking in nonlethal options means it's not going to end well.

I'm not asking for the removal of Eat Anything, or even removing the ability for Eat Anything to get a person out of cuffs. The only change I want is that someone who is cuffed and either restrained (ctrl-clicked) or bucklecuffed to be deactivated. Is that fair enough?

Uncontainable persons, be it either by hulk, or other means are pretty much a solid target to use lethal means of containment.

Nothing kills me more than to watch security try and fruitlessly taze a manifested ghost running around with a cult sword.

I agree with your final few lines.

Though, it'd be mint if you could still chomp a gag (or whatever's on your face) to pieces since it's so close to your mouth ;). Unless it's a muzzle, though. That actually restricts jaw movement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use