[Engineering device]: "Jaunt Pad"

flimflamm

My proposition is for a new type of constructable and intractable "teleportation" pad which when paired with another telepad in range creates a two way instant transit system. However, this should only be able to function over a very small distance (5-7 tile maximum separation).

The purpose I have in mind for this is to create an air proof door system between rooms with different atmospheric conditions.

For instance, if a Vox wants to fill an area with no2 so that they can breathe naturally, they will constantly need to worry about no2 leaking out into other places which is a hazard. If a plasma-person tried to construct a plasma only environment so that they could remove their suit, the first time the seal is breached and the tiniest amount of oxygen let in, the plasma-person would burst into flames.

In order to construct these things, it could be done through RnD similar to how the cargo telepads (for the RCS device) currently are deployed, just have them require more research and cost more resources.

Pros

Aside from being an enabler of more tightly secured a-typical atmospheric condition type rooms, the basic mechanic itself might prove to be versatile and worth-while to have. If emagged, could increase the range from a maximum of 5 or 7 tiles to something much larger. It would use a pairing or frequency system not unlike existing mechanics.

The sprite could be a recolored telepad, I'm sure nobody would suspect a thing

Telescience.gif

Cons

Requires coding that I don't know about. The reward might not be worth the space on the hard drive or the time to complete it. But hey, one of you badass coders might be interested and be able to just bust it out lickity-split!

It sure would be nice to, as you said, make a way to travel between rooms with differing atmospheric conditions. Since we can't build brand new airlock systems that repressurize/depressurize easily like the pre-built airlocks around the station and outposts this is very much the next best thing. Short range, single-target transportation. I like it.

Just use disposal pipes and chutes to accomplish the atmos-sealed doorway you wanted.

Far easier than needing to get all sorts of parts, and there are 2 disposal pipe dispensers on station at round start and another 1 on the engi outpost.

Also, unrelated to the suggestion, but Vox breath N2 (aka nitrogen gas), not NO2 (nitrous oxide a aka anesthetic gas).

Also, unrelated to the suggestion, but Vox breath N2 (aka nitrogen gas), not NO2 (nitrous oxide a aka anesthetic gas).

Eh, I'd be fine with an NO2 environment for some vox I can think of, yaya?

wow, raw af

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use