Reduce max volume of emergency oxy tank

alexpkeaton

Don't know why I haven't thought to bring this up before. The emergency oxygen tank (fits in a pocket), while they spawn with a limited amount of oxygen to start, can be filled via canister to the same maximum as a full sized oxygen tank that can only fit on a belt/back slot.

It makes no sense that two radically different-sized tanks hold equal volumes of gas.

Can we reduce the max volume on the emergency tanks to perhaps the amount the tanks spawn with, or maybe slightly more?

I assure you they don't hold remotely close to the same amount of gas, even when filled up to maximum capacity.

Full size air tanks have ~17.5 moles of oxygen (this is before being filled to maximum capacity)

Emergency air tanks have ~0.37 moles of oxygen (this is before being filled to maximum capacity)

If you fill up an emergency tank to max capacity it still only has ~1.24 moles of oxygen.

Not even remotely close. Pressure is not the same as total amount of gas---you can have the same pressure in two different tank sizes, but the total amount of gas will be dramatically different.

As someone who has used fully filled up emergency oxygen tanks...I can also assure you they don't last very long, in game, at all.

Not even remotely close. Pressure is not the same as total amount of gas---you can have the same pressure in two different tank sizes, but the total amount of gas will be dramatically different.

Physics and science... also logic. This answer should be very obvious to everyone. A basic fact.

The smaller the tank, the more compressed gas you need to have the equivalent amount of the gas compared to a larger tank.

Atoms: the more tightly packed, the more gas you can fit in a given space. Typically you can fill both tank types to contain gas with pressure of ~1000 kPa. The pressure being the same, the only other variable that would affect the amount of gas would be VOLUME. Small tanks have super small volume. You'd need a very high pressure to compensate for the small volume if you wanted to carry a tiny tank with lots of gas inside.

Damn it, people. Shame on you!

I'm against a nerf to the emergency oxygen tanks primarily because it has a direct knock-on effect on both ERTs (who are given pocket tanks for good reason) and Nukies (who are also given pocket tanks for good reason).

I can't imagine it'd be too fun to have all the nuke-ops run out of oxygen from their internals and suffocate, or force them to use up an exosuit slot for a full oxygen tank - much the same goes to an ERT that arrives at a largely depressurized station.

There is nothing to nerf, emergency oxy tank already have way less air than the one you put on your back / air tank slot on eva suit.

On a big tank you can last hours (longer than any shift really) without ever emptying it. On the yellow emergency tank (the extended), you get around 45minutes maybe an hour. The blue one is like 30mins altho i cant say i timed any of them.

I do know that the blue emergency tank will drain pretty darn quickly.

P*V = n * R * T

P: Pressure

V: Volume

n: Moles of gas (basically the amount of molecules)

R: Ideal gas constant (handles unit conversions)

T: Temperature

I think a big problem, is that many air containers are unclear of their volume - make that more accessible, and I think that'll clear up a WHOLE bunch of confusion...

Not our Wiki but it's the same info

kPa just pressure. I.E. how tightly the gas is packed in the canister (1 Atmosphere = 101kPa, this is standard room pressure)

The small, blue Emergency Oxygen tanks have volume 3. Standard crew starts with these in their internals box.

The yellow Extended Emergency Oxygen tanks have volume 6. Everyone in Engineering and Shaft Miners start with these in their Internals box.

The yellow Double Extended Emergency Oxygen tanks have a volume of 12. Captain has one of these if I'm not mistake, ERT also get these. Vox also receive one of these, albeit filled with N2 rather than O2.

The big, blue or red Oxygen Tanks and orange Plasma Tanks have volume 70.

A standard back mounted Oxygen tank will last you an entire shift without every going below half, where a fully pressurized blue pocket tank set to 16kPa will last you about 30 minutes.

You know, before I read the replies, I was sitting this morning thinking about this and thought... "wait... 1016 kPa is pressure... not volume... PV=nRT... oh crap, I'm so wrong about this."

Consider the suggestion withdrawn with my thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use