mining hardsuits/gps discrepancy

Arenn

Perhaps just integrate a GPS into hardsuits, so that the wearer can be pulled back if needed? I mean, they're expensive Nanotrasen equipment, and letting people have tabs on where you are at all times, even off-station, is a down/upside to consider when romping around in a hardsuit all the time.

It would be nice to have integrated GPS into any outfit that allows for EVA. That would make a traitor's life a lot more difficult if they were planning on stealing a mining hardsuit or excavation suit. Certainly they could turn the GPS off but then they're immediately suspect. Maybe allow the GPS to be hacked by an e-mag to either not work or to allow the traitor to set the GPS to transmit false coords?

On the one hand a traitor would need to be very careful about grabbing a suit (or make use of the Syndi EVA suit) or a very quick-thinking traitor could rush to the mining shuttle and e-mag all the suits before someone else can get there. Maybe make e-magging the suits silent? It wouldn't be likely for someone to notice the GPS is nonfunctional until later in the round, and at that point the Syndi could be done with their job and working on their next objective.

I'unno, just brainstorming here. I'm sure I'm forgetting some reason why this wouldn't be do-able. In the end it's really more of a convenience to add GPS directly to the suits so it'd be a low priority than other stuff I'm sure.

Or they can just get a GPS from science, as it's one of the lowest-level bluespace items. Many miners forego the GPS, I've found, anyway-- and I've never heard a complaint about there being not enough GPSs to go around

Or they can just get a GPS from science, as it's one of the lowest-level bluespace items. Many miners forego the GPS, I've found, anyway-- and I've never heard a complaint about there being not enough GPSs to go around

Well, there was a shift last night where all three were taken and one miner had to hug another one the whole shift cause there wasnt one for him.

Personally, I wish the QM got a GPS in their locker or something, so they could actually try to FIND those miners smart enough to bring a GPS with them before they get dead.

As for that, there are several other places you can get a GPS. The gateway, I believe, has them, as do telescience. But yeah, one that is readily available (read, not needed for other activities) would be a little more useful. Or maybe a computer/panel on the bridge at least? That would require more coordination of rescue teams with command, but it could work.

Wait, don't suit trackings already do this sort of? I mean granted people set suit sensors on. I thought they also tell the location as well as the area that they are in?

I always thought that only worked on the station z-level, I was always told miners shouldn't bother with sensors cause they dont work. Unless they changed it.

Wait, don't suit trackings already do this sort of? I mean granted people set suit sensors on. I thought they also tell the location as well as the area that they are in?

I always thought that only worked on the station z-level, I was always told miners shouldn't bother with sensors cause they dont work. Unless they changed it.

Yes and no. The crew monitoring console on the station only sees the station z-level, but a handheld crew monitor can be used to track the suit sensors of the people on your z-level. This means you could take one onto the asteroid and be able to track miners.

I know that technically the HoP is the "department head" for Cargo/Mining but it would be nice if the QM had a handheld crew monitor for locating miners in his office. As it is the only real authority QM has about anything is whether or not to order something for someone and even then he can generally be overruled by any department head. Aside from that he's just a glorified Cargo Tech who happens to have mining access.

Perhaps just integrate a GPS into hardsuits, so that the wearer can be pulled back if needed? I mean, they're expensive Nanotrasen equipment, and letting people have tabs on where you are at all times, even off-station, is a down/upside to consider when romping around in a hardsuit all the time.

Like a voluntary tracking implant. Your suit = your problem.

Your idea sounds nice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use