Put Science Output to use!

Tauka Usanake

Or nuke it, but I'll get to that in a bit.

So I know there are a few out there who miss the good old Science Outpost and Xenoarcheology at that, but it's not coming back any time soon. That outpost is going to rot out there in space for ever.

Or will it? I think it should get some renovations so that it's not just sitting there as a safe means for a malf AI to get power.

First off I want to suggest Xenobotany. Yeah there is some Xenobotany stuff in there already but apparently it doesn't work or something. I don't know, might be wrong. The Xenobotany I'm talking about is using the exotic seeds and the two plant genetics machines in Hydro. In my almost expert Hydroponics experience [spoiler2]I really want to be the best like no one ever was[/spoiler2] Xenobotany isn't respected enough in IC or OOC. After all everyone in Hydro is just a dirty, drug sniffing farmer, right? Well in normal Hydroponics that's almost always the case. In Xenobotany however you need controlled environments and you get random results after your crop has grown. It is a Science job but sticking it with Hydroponics just doesn't give you the resources needed. And the plant genetics machines in there already are just a convenience for those who know or want to use them, and that's if they want to make anything but drugs.

Second, I know only a few miss Telescience getting removed from the map and I know it's still in the code. Why not put it in the Science Outpost too? It could help out with mining on the same z-level just in case someone is dying out there or if they want minerals delivered quickly. As it was rarely used anyways it wouldn't be in the way out there either.

Unfortunately those are just about the only Science jobs that don't have a good location at the time. I would suggest Xenobiology to be moved there because alien science and to keep the main station safe from any outbreaks, but then there's a huge hole that might not get filled. I'd say throw E.X.P.E.R.I.Mentor there bcs fuck it, but no one will like that idea. If we had XenoArch still then it wouldn't be a problem but we don't so that's whatever.

If none of these ideas sound nice then the last suggestion I have is to just blow it up. Map it out as if something or someone set bombs in there and tried to get rid of it. Maybe a shadowling or xeno infestation was threatening containment there and everyone decided it was a loss far out there. Maybe some syndicate member thought it would be funny to watch all those nerds turn into gibs. Maybe the SCIENTISTS wanted to see how they looked turn into gibs. Whatever reason, blowing it up and removing all means of roundstart power would prevent it from being malf AI heaven.

TL;DR - Let's put the Science back into the Science Outpost or blow it up altogether

I wasn't aware that Xenoarch was going to be back anytime soon. Eventually sure, but not in any due time. Is anyone actively working on it right now? Not to call them out but I'd still like something to be done with the outpost for the time being.

I'd absolutely love for the Research Outpost to get more use. At the moment it's an abandoned haven for antagonists to get their hands on some reasonably nice equipment like the excavation suits which allow for EVA.

I'd be all for putting Xenobio down there - lorewise it makes sense as Tauka says, could help prevent the spread of slimes or other dangerous animals. Also since miners can potentially find facehuggers on the asteroid it would allow for any infected to be quarantined off-station until a surgeon can get in and remove the babby Xeno.

Toxins testing down there would make sense. If NanoTrasen wants explosives testing done it would be far safer to set it up on a giant hunk of rock. A catastrophic explosion on the asteroid means some missing walls and floors and a bit of annoying rebuild. A catastrophic explosion on the station can easily cripple the whole science department. While we're on that note put the EXPERIMENtor down there too. I could easily see the Research Outpost being the same size as the Science Department.

It's not like the Outpost is completely isolated either. Antags have ways of getting down there, whether through space pods, jetpacks or other EVA equipment, the mining shuttle, whatever. You just gotta get creative.

I really don't think Toxins should go the the outpost. It would be WAY more safe but then what's Science good for if not killing everyone eventually? Also I don't want to empty the Science department of everything and relocate it somewhere else. Lesser sciences would be nice out there, the ones no one really care about. If Xenoarch comes back then Xenobotany and Telescience would fit nice up there to fill it in a bit more, but aside from possibly Xenobiology because aliens nothing else should be removed from the main station to out there.

Xenobio would be great, but only if there's extra pens so chemlab can spawn there their Life things too without having to crowd the test chamber or deal with grumpy slime farmers. The anomaly research could be on the station since that's where the anomalies happen anyway.

I'm most definitely for moving xenobotany there, with the suggestions you've made; Right now, using xenobotany is an exercise in patience with all the hoops you need to go through to even get started. you'll never be the best with me around. The only issue is finding someone to make the suggested changes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use