New Chef PDA ROM: G.R.I.L.L.

davidchan

Foreword: This is a fairly basic idea that is more of a call out to a Coder with some expierence with the NanoUI. It is a long term goal, not an immediate request.

What is it?: Guide and Reference ILLustrated cookbook. A new ROM cartridge for the Chef to use in their PDA. Add's a cookbook recipe of items (easiest way to do this would be linking to the wiki page, a coder/developer with time on their hands could make a nanoUI menu with a list of all recipies divided according to cooking method.) Additionally, a food scanner function could be added to the PDA, that when scanned would list all the known recipes that particular item is in.

Chef's would spawn/join the station with the ROM already located inside their PDA, with 2 (or more) spare ROM cards in the freezer storage with the alternate clothing, as well as the usual spare in the HoP office.

Would this require coding?: Yes, lot's of it undoubtedly, and probably some snowflake code to give a small database worth of information to one job. Even the most basic scan function would need to have flags for all the different food items and a list for the recipes they are directly used in. As stated above, a more ambitious coder familiar with NanoUI could attempt to make a series of menus that would contain the whole of cooking in it.

How would this benefit the playerbase?: Directly, it would only impact the Chef or those working in the Kitchen too cook. Provided the code was quick and able to give out the information fairly quickly without bogging down the server, a Chef would be able to quickly identify what recipies they can feasibly cook and prepare based on the items they have at hand. Indirectly, it would make Chef's doing their job somewhat more likely, allowing for a wider variety of food to be prepared when the cook is aware of his options.

Last words: In short, this is a convince factor that, in my opinion is long over due. It would be an irreplaceable benefit to new players trying to learn the role, and would certainly help out more experienced Chefs who don't have the entire Wiki cookbook memorized, being able to quickly look up a recipe to see its ingredients or scan a particular ingredient you have in abudance to see what variety of food you can produce from it. Much like Gas Scanners or T-Rays, it's not something you'd need to do your job, but certainly something that would make it easier or at least quicker in getting the info you need to do said job.

Yeah but Bartendering is forgiving as fuck, if you screw up you actually made something still.

Chefs, however, cannot experiment with their job as they have limited materials and their kitchen system isn't as flexible as reagent-drinks are. This PDA cartridge would be wonderful because I fucking hate having to look at the wiki when I want to know that one fucking ingredient that could waste or wisefully use that last bag of flour.

okay i'll say outright

PDA's nano code will have to be completely fucking overhauled before I personally would even start to think of this

As is, literally every module is part of a giant if-else chain in the template file, which is exactly as fucking bad as you think

Why can't we just use books like normal people? I mean sure, the option to use technology instead of the out of date scrolls is swell, but books man. BOOKS. But I guess giving them a PDA cartridge isn't such a bad idea. Bartender should get one too if this becomes the case.

I personally don't like anything referencing a wiki for their information. I don't ever see it in a format that does it justice. Unless the wiki is made in such a way that it works or make a PDA page for it, then I'll be happy if I use it

Books can be coded to have text in them upon spawning, right? I would pressure doing what Usanake said and use the books. At least for now, based on what tigercat said.

Books can be of pre-made sets or of the library variant. Don't touch the library, it kind of sucks. The books can have text inserted through the code or through a website link via the code. I prefer the former as whenever or not there is the possibility of a site page going down, that information is always there. The downside is that if ever anything referenced in the book changes (a drink recipe is edited) it won't be changed in the book unless that was also edited with the recipe and might require a new commit if not. Likewise the wiki page the book would reference could need to be changed but that could be done without an extra commit. The reason I don't like it though is because I think it's a little bit ugly and maybe slightly lazy. More convenient and less code needed yes, but to me lazy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use