Scientist Satchel for Xenobio

Keroman

So there's already an item in the game called the Scientist Satchel. I'm not 100% sure what it does, but I know what it doesn't do, and that's picking up slime extracts.

When all 7 cages in Xenobio are full and all the slimes just split you've got 28 baby slimes to deal with. Killing them one by one is an ordeal in itself (made slightly easier if the RD is willing to send down a temperature gun) but then feeding them into he slime processor and collecting the extracts is a whole other level of menial work because even without any upgrades to the slime processor you get 2 extracts per slime.

Okay so 7 full cages = 28 slimes

Leave 7 for further breeding = 21 slimes

21 slimes processed into 2 extracts apiece = 48 extracts

Number of clicks to move each extract from the processor the the fridge a single tile over = 2

It takes 96 goddamn clicks to move all the slime extracts over.

Oh, what's that? The RD ran out of more important stuff to upgrade and finally made a field trip to Xenobio and upgraded the slime processor? Guess what, now each slime gives you 5 goddamn extracts. Now it takes over twice as long to move those little blob-ass-blobs over to the fridge!

Botanists get a satchel with which they can pick up all the plants in a single tile, or even harvest fruit from right off a tree.

Miners get a satchel with which they can pick up all the ores on a single tile, or even a nifty mining drone that picks the ore up for them.

Xenobiologists get... nothing?

I call shenanigans. I don't know anything about coding but the Scientist Satchel is already in the game. I imagine you could copy the functional code from the mining satchel and/or plant satchel and change it to use the correct sprite and interact with the relevant items. It only really needs to be able to pick up slime extracts.

What do you guys think? Feel free to chime in even if you've never played Xenobio before. Just understand that if you haven't you really don't know what a pain it is to deal with, especially knowing that there's a potential easy solution just outside of reach.

Easy peasy. I've been looking at the code for bags (with a similar and completely different thought in mind) and it wouldn't be hard to make a slime satchel that they could use. The only problem here is anyone doing it in a timely manner in addition to whatever other PR they have planned. I'd do this along with other little things I'm messing with but uh... I haven't really finished any of them yet -.-

Well I'm glad there's at least confirmation that the code for it would be easy. If it takes a while to actually make it into the game, well, no big deal. It seems like there's really only a few people on the server who actually enjoy playing Xenobio anyways.

I usually xenobio as scientist, and this would be indeed useful as fuck.

Why not make it an item you can get from injecting such and such into an extract? Injecting Plasma into a textile-pattern slime would be neat for this.

I usually xenobio as scientist, and this would be indeed useful as fuck.

Why not make it an item you can get from injecting such and such into an extract? Injecting Plasma into a textile-pattern slime would be neat for this.

I think you'd need more slimes for that.

For some reason I've been refactoring them and made a shitload more (in design). I have no idea why I want more slimes. Maybe because I like the colors?

I'm all for adding in new slime colors. Also there is functional code out there for a sentience potion obtained via slimes which would allow ghosts to spawn into any non-hostile mob - specifically I'm thinking the docile ones created using gold slime extracts and an injection of blood.

I wholeheartedly approve the merits of this. Never played xenobio so I don't know much, but I do remember something peculiar when I was a miner once that may help. This was in the last month.

I was exploring the mining asteroid and entered an airlock of an off-site station to find mining equipment. Only it wasn't mining equipment entirely. The object whose sprite looked identical to the ore bag was called a "sample bag" or the like. Since it sits with a pickaxe, shovel and other trademark mining supplies, I found it odd when I examined the stack once and saw it come up as "sample bag" or "sample pouch." Not sure if it holds extracts. The place I'm thinking of, from the miner's perspective, is the safe side (east side) of the asteroid, all the way north when you follow the piping until you reach an airlock. There are also some sort of xenobio picks or something too, in a small box. I asked about it when I found it, someone said that feature was broken at the time.

You discovered Xenoarchaeology, actually! Scientists have a shuttle that takes them there.

As far as I know that stuff doesn't work with Xenobiology but honestly I'm willing to give it a go.

I'd love to try out Xenoarchaeology too but the code is currently nonfunctional so whenever someone asks about it in-game I'm like, "The equipment's on the outpost but it's not hooked up or calibrated." Too bad because the few guides that I've found make it seem interesting enough, even if a little tedious. Hopefully when it's active the rewards are worth it and it doesn't turn out to be another RNG POS like the EXPERIMENTor is. I swear that thing is designed to explode if someone so much as thinks too loudly near it.

So... people actually want more slimes? Seriously? I mean that's great and all, but this was the buggery that made me quit editing SS13 back then. It scarred me. I almost felt bad going back to it but the code is a bit cleaner than I remember it.

I'll continue my work on it I guess. It's going to be very cluttered but feature full at least. Some of the ideas I have would require admin permission and I will break something before it's finally pushed.

oh my gosh it's going to look so fucking ugly no one in their right mind will like this

I'll add the slime satchel to this branch as well if I can get it approved

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use