Server Player Limit

liran424

Let's be honest with each other. The server needs a player limit, it can't handle too much clients at the same time.

So I suggest putting the server limit at 80. Why? because above 75 players the server starts to lag.. not by much, bet when it reaches 80 it becomes unstable and could freeze (worst case scenario crash) it's just frustrating that I don't even need to give examples.

I know there's the downside that not the whole community could play but it's necessary.

My solution to this is to open a new server. you've already been thinking of this and now is the time to implement this.

I hope to get honest feedback as well

I think we've had this idea pop up several times, but nothing ever came of it.

could just move players to the second server on default if the player count is higher than the set limit.

Doesn't the server theoretically cap since all jobs are limited? (I think civilian has around a 5:1 ratio with sec though it might not work exactly like that). Though I think the population doesn't go high enough to exhaust the job slots?

More ontopic, I don't reall see a need for a cap. Whilst certainly different to lower-pop rounds, higher pop rounds have an interesting atmosphere and you're more liable to run into someone willing to actually engage in some passive RP with. fuck playing sec on highpop, though

So I suggest putting the server limit at 80. Why? because above 75 players the server starts to lag.. not by much, bet when it reaches 80 it becomes unstable and could freeze (worst case scenario crash)

This isn't the fault of the server box, it's the fault of a faulty line or something with our host's internet company. However, they themselves can't fix it, and need another crew to go out and fix it, so we're stuck waiting on someone else to stop these freezes.

My solution to this is to open a new server. you've already been thinking of this and now is the time to implement this.

The biggest reason we haven't done this yet is that people will crowd to the most staffed server, as evidenced by LLJK, and having staff on both servers also.

No server cap. Even if you could balance the population between the two, you'll only end up with two medium to maybe low populated servers than one decently filled one. If you don't have enough people then it's just no good.

Doesn't the server theoretically cap since all jobs are limited?

That maybe doesn't matter as people could join as observers/ghosts and wait for a positronic brain/pAI/diona/NPC/golems to spawn and join in as. Ah, but if only enough people did those things all the time. I don't think I see it often enough

We could just unlist the server from the BYOND hub, like /tg/ does. It would be a kind of soft cap, and ensure that we don't suddenly get people coming in without doing at least the most cursory research into the station.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use