Replacing the Operating Computer

TullyBBurnalot

As we all know, the Operating Computer located right next to each Surgical Table in Medbay is useless. In fact, it's so useless, I haven't even bothered looking up it's proper name.

And why is it useless? Well, it provides information that can easily be matched and surpassed by using a portable Health Analyzer and the Full Body Scanner conveniently located in each OR. It's literally wasted space.

In the meantime, I'm sure every Surgeon worth their salt still groans at the anesthetic system, especially when you have a patient that not only refuses it, but actively tries running away when you approach them with it. As such, I would propose that the Operating Computer be replaced by a stationary anesthetics tank, which can then be attached onto a patient on the table, much like an IV Drip, allowing for a quick and easy administering of knockout gas. Said tank would be similar to the ones in the Incinerator, so that it can't be instantly opened by the first griffin with Medbay access.

That actually sounds like a great idea. Although I might add that if we could keep the console, it may display more helpful information such as instructions on how to perform a current procedure.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement either, just copy some code over from the cryotubes and perhaps add in some sleeper pod functionality too, such as you said, adding blood or other medicine.

I like this idea. Having it dispense Ether at regular intervals (i.e. the metabolism rate) would be nifty.

Additionally, the Operating Computer could read out any active surgeries or things like infections that a Surgeon would need to be aware of. Something like an archive of the last few steps taken so if you needed to double check or get handed a patient mid surgery you have some idea what is going on.

/tg/ operating computer was recently updated to display the next surgery step for the active surgery, though this would be next to impossible for us without adding drapes.

As a frequent medical player (probably my most played department after atmos), I can say that the operating computer definitely could use some love.

About the extent that I use it is to quickly check the blood type of whoever I slapped on the table in the event that they have a low blood level so I can hook up an IV while I slice them open.

It also can tell you if they are unconscious, which seems kinda useless when you can just examine them.

A stationary anesthetic pump or a console listing steps/active surgeries would be far more useful.

I like this idea. Having it dispense Ether at regular intervals (i.e. the metabolism rate) would be nifty.

Additionally, the Operating Computer could read out any active surgeries or things like infections that a Surgeon would need to be aware of. Something like an archive of the last few steps taken so if you needed to double check or get handed a patient mid surgery you have some idea what is going on.

/tg/ operating computer was recently updated to display the next surgery step for the active surgery, though this would be next to impossible for us without adding drapes.

I personally like this idea. The computer has been there forever and I'd like to see it have more use. That said I also like the idea of a stationary anesthetic machine. You shouldn't have to hook up a tank to someone's back when they are laying on it

The only time I ever used that thing is to check if the patient is already asleep or not after setting up the anesthesia. If it could squawk the patients vitals it'd be nice too, kinda like the cargo requests console 'talks'.

After today's bombing that destroyed both Surgical Rooms and the tools, I really really really wish there was a top tier RnD machine that behaved like an Body Scanner but could run through surgery procedures, an AutoDoc or Remote Surgeon or something like that.

• 4 weeks later...

While i support the quick anesthetics machinery, i would rather see this as an addition to the surgery computer and the surgery computer made useful. If you could choose a surgery on the computer and it would track the steps and show you what to do next, that would be so sexy.

But a simple list with steps that could just be manually checked via checkmarks would also be very nice. I can never remember the steps for most surgeries and i have too look them up in the wiki every friggin time.

Edit: If we add a anesthetics machine thingy it should probably not be able to knock someone out without the option to resist it, that sounds pretty imbalanced considering how fast you can table someome.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use