Context sensitive music

GuardianStriker

I was wondering if we could actually have music coded and playing that play out according to what the player is doing.

Examples like when you're drinking at a bar, you hear music that would play in cantinas or bars. Say like the cantina song in Star Wars

When you're in the hallways, you hear average but, slightly soothing music as you walk around the station. Like the UNATCO HQ theme from Deus Ex.

When you're in darkness or places that will or can cause fear and suspense into the character, you hear suspenseful and horrific music. Kind of like the Resident Evil 1 Basement theme.

When you're in a dire situation that could result in losing your life (examples like escaping a station that's about to explode or you're fighting someone), you hear suspenseful music again as you try to live and not die.

When you're doing your job or doing something that requires a lot of work, you hear music that would encourage you more to continue working. Like some of the building songs in the Bob the Builder shows. Sorry for that poor example. Don't know what other example to say.

I hope I'm not sounding too dumb with this, but I just want some more music in Paradise Station instead of the piano playing in the bar and it's more fun to listen to music that play according to what your character is doing since it's more fun that way in my opinion.

Ambient noises around the station can only make me play the game for only a little bit.

My friend once tried to give each area its own ambient music when he was coding in our old server. It wasn't bad but he never finished it. I believe this is a decent idea but should be looked into a little more. Else, I know there are "disable sounds" buttons you can press so if no one likes the music they can just mute it. +1/2 for this idea

Additional ambiance tied to specific areas is definitely possible, though as Spacemanspark mentioned it would significantly increase the downloads for players as more are added.

However, ambiance tied to situations is much more difficult, as those are far less concrete and code-able. For reference, your example of high-effort jobs would be quite difficult to handle. A paramedic is able to be considered both a high-effort and a low-effort job (depending on shift), same goes for security.

It's much more reliable to tie the ambiance to an area (see: space and maintenance tunnel music/ambiance). The extra download time/size, however, is a valid counter-point.

Additional ambiance tied to specific areas is definitely possible, though as Spacemanspark mentioned it would significantly increase the downloads for players as more are added.

However, ambiance tied to situations is much more difficult, as those are far less concrete and code-able. For reference, your example of high-effort jobs would be quite difficult to handle. A paramedic is able to be considered both a high-effort and a low-effort job (depending on shift), same goes for security.

It's much more reliable to tie the ambiance to an area (see: space and maintenance tunnel music/ambiance). The extra download time/size, however, is a valid counter-point.

Well I still fail to see the point how extra download time and size would matter whether a player would join or not.

Again, I don't have a problem with downloading things. I do it all the time in multiplayer games when I join servers with custom content. So why should BYOND and Paradise Station be any different?

It could be put to a vote just how much would be downloaded. You'd need to have examples of what music would play first before pushing this topic any further. Personally I don't mind the idea but it has to be implemented as best as possible.

Could we get a test to see how much extra music for each area would take to download? Just copy and rename existing music as a basis and time it. I'd like to know just what difference it would make.

I like this idea, but also the redownloading sources would be a pain like everyone said. I think it should be kept pretty general and have like music for space, maint, and the asteroid be the same, one for the bar unless someone plays the jukebox, then the jukebox would override the ambience (although that's a disadvantage for people like me who can't download the software for the jukebox to work), and maybe some for the departments. Certain places already have this I know because I like just sitting in the AI upload sometimes listening to it's specific ambience when I'm bored, but still would be cool to see in more places. I guess I could wait, but many other players wouldn't want to and instead would just go play on other, lesser servers such as [spoiler2]Name Redacted[/spoiler2]

It could be put to a vote just how much would be downloaded. You'd need to have examples of what music would play first before pushing this topic any further. Personally I don't mind the idea but it has to be implemented as best as possible.

Could we get a test to see how much extra music for each area would take to download? Just copy and rename existing music as a basis and time it. I'd like to know just what difference it would make.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Can you explain that a bit more?

So imagine that every new music that is to be included is around the same size as another already in-game (let's say the largest one just for tests sake). Copy/paste renamed versions of those files and associate them with the areas you want to have new music for. You'll have to download multiple files then because they are all separate different named. It's a thought and I can't see why it wouldn't work for a test

So imagine that every new music that is to be included is around the same size as another already in-game (let's say the largest one just for tests sake). Copy/paste renamed versions of those files and associate them with the areas you want to have new music for. You'll have to download multiple files then because they are all separate different named. It's a thought and I can't see why it wouldn't work for a test

Well that's true. But the only songs that I'd think would fit for different situations are just songs I hear from video games. Since that's pretty much the only kind of music I listen to. Other than 70s and 80s rock music from bands such as Ozzy, KISS or Queen.

Few songs come to mind in certain situations.

Walking around:

Horror and/or Suspense:

Sitting and drinking or eating at the bar:

I think OoT's version of the shop theme would fit in a bit nicer, personally.

Also, I might mention, Byond is completely random and sometimes requires you to redownload resources. This could happen at any time. So, for example, in the middle of a game, you crash. You attempt to log back in, and Byond flips you the double bird and requires you to redownload the resources. The more you have to download, the more a player is going to be pissed off in these situations.

I think OoT's version of the shop theme would fit in a bit nicer, personally.

Also, I might mention, Byond is completely random and sometimes requires you to redownload resources. This could happen at any time. So, for example, in the middle of a game, you crash. You attempt to log back in, and Byond flips you the double bird and requires you to redownload the resources. The more you have to download, the more a player is going to be pissed off in these situations.

Well you got a solid point. But this only happens once in a while.

It's not like we have to redownload "every single time" we start up BYOND.

Also yeah, I think OoT's version would fit a little bit more. But the Twilight Princess version can work too in case everyone doesn't want to hear the same song over and over.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use