Dead people heaven/minigame

Freshmaniscoolman

So I joined Paradise and I noticed this new revenant thing you added. It gave me a Eureka idea. What if we could add a heaven you can go to while you are dead? Just like, you can spawn stuff and do stuff and kill stuff (maybe not.) sort of like a minigame you can play while you are dead or waiting to be cloned. I think this is a spectacular idea. You can also always leave "Heaven" and ghost normally.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to disregard the inb4s.

That being said, anyone who isn't an admin being able to spawn stuff is generally a REALLY BAD IDEA!

But, I do believe an area ghosts could respawn into that would be on a z-level of it's own that would basically look like some sort of recreation place. Maybe a pool, bar, garden maybe. Stuff like that would be cool.

Of course people would use it as a way to be dicks and just start beating the shit out of each other, but it's a place ghosts can respawn in, meaning you can't exactly be killed in that area. Just put some disposals and space cleaner/soap around the recreation center to clean up after a purgatory brawl.

tl;dr: The dead can just chill in an ooc area that they can interact with with other ghosts.

We generally already do that with the admin room.

As for dead players, we have NPCs to mess with, diona nymphs and Golems for second chances, ERT to be spawned into (or their big brothers), events that trigger off of ghosts and the new Revenant to be picked into. We did a lot of work to make sure ghosts have something to do already so they aren't sitting there being bored.

Not knocking those opportunities, Earth, since I love all of them, but they're mostly dependant on in-round shenanigans or RNG. Without a botanist, you're not becoming a diona nymph any time soon, and since almost nobody does xenobiology anymore, golems are right out. No pAIs without R&D not being the worst, and the rare time ERTs are called is usually before anyone's actually died. Revenants are RNG, and deaf squids are admin-based, so they might as well be, too.

This leaves the one-or-two posibrains Robotics starts out with (which half of the roboticists never. actually. turn. on.), the pAIs in the RD's and NT Rep's office, and becoming a maintenance drone for ghosts who don't plan on being cloned. While I may not agree with grief purgatory heaven, we certainly need something to quell the bluetext masses.

I had an idea like this a while ago about ghosts spawning at CC or some type of general commons area for RP or just general talking. I don't really think a murderfest is a great idea at all really, but then again, I play a pacifistic character who tries to RP every situation rather than shoot somebody in the head because I disagree with them.

More options for the ghosts to interact with the round and possible get back into? Very good.

Making a side area for the ghosts to go and completely separate them self from the round? Not so good.

I like the idea of being able to go somewhere and vent some steam or faf about, but I forsee this causing a number of problems from cloning bugs to lots of people deciding that the current round is boring and migrating to the ghost area to see whats going on. Incentive's for ghosts to stay in the area of their body would be better, I'd rather see ghosts being able to haunt specific areas of the ship to manifest their spirit a bit more than sending them off to some far flung place completely separate from the station and round.

More options for the ghosts to interact with the round and possible get back into? Very good.

Making a side area for the ghosts to go and completely separate them self from the round? Not so good.

I like the idea of being able to go somewhere and vent some steam or faf about, but I forsee this causing a number of problems from cloning bugs to lots of people deciding that the current round is boring and migrating to the ghost area to see whats going on. Incentive's for ghosts to stay in the area of their body would be better, I'd rather see ghosts being able to haunt specific areas of the ship to manifest their spirit a bit more than sending them off to some far flung place completely separate from the station and round.

There's a suggestion up for chaplain abilities that might give ghosts something to do.

Giving ghosts something to do that can actually effect the round is a big no from me and a lot of the staff. Dead people can be pretty salty, any way to abuse it tends to get abused. When they could flip tables....it was bad. Even Boo! i've seen used to kill people before.

A full on separate area just isn't worth it, and allowing them to spawn things etc has a -lot- of problems associated with it. Quite frankly, being dead is meant to be something we want people to avoid.

If you want to get back into the round - join as an NPC or a drone, or wait/hope to get cloned.

There was a silly idea at one point where there would be a station virtual reality, overlayed on the existing station but invisible unless you were in vr or had AR goggles on. Gokart through the station hallways etc.

Well the silly part was that ghosts could spawn as npcs in this vr land, and they could do all sorts of things and goof off with an exception: all their speech and emotes and writing were only understandable by other npcs, and non npcs would just see simlish style gibberish.

Purgatory if anything, maybe even hell.

Do you really think the crew of the Cyberiad deserve any sort of heaven? Hahaha.

To roam and spectate as a wayward, bodiless specter seems quite fitting as it is-- I mean, the point is to participate in the round and not die, I figure. To provide more for the dead to do is to nerf the incentive to survive, or, as I said, to participate.

The perma-dead have options well known. You can spawn as NPC, maintenance-droid it up, spectate and chat it up, or do something else.

The temporarily terminated can spectate, chat it up and surf the net for the time they have until they are among the living again (or've become synthetic, but the same goes, really).

And to address VR-- isn't there just one single VR set in a back room deep in Security? So much effort to cater to one user at a time seems wasted. It seems quite entertaining and novel but as a player I'd much rather the effort went elsewhere.

I don't think there should be much of a priority given to this.

"Quite frankly, being dead is meant to be something we want people to avoid." - Necaladun 2015

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use