Nerf the Chainsaw

IcyV

Really, my biggest complaint about the chainsaw is this;

Why doesn't it spawn with a complimentary hockey mask?

Because it's scary enough.

Revving noise should be louder, though.

It's essentially a buffed fireaxe, and nerfing it seems silly cause it needs to be this way, the only thing that works is ranges, it is the ultimate close combat tool, and i don't think that should change.

All you need is to throw a flash bang at them, or even just disable them with your taser. It's there for a reason, and ya wanna nerf it into uselessness.

Either remove it or keep it.

It's essentially a buffed fireaxe, and nerfing it seems silly cause it needs to be this way, the only thing that works is ranges, it is the ultimate close combat tool, and i don't think that should change.

All you need is to throw a flash bang at them, or even just disable them with your taser. It's there for a reason, and ya wanna nerf it into uselessness.

Either remove it or keep it.

Why does it have to be a black and white remove or keep? That's an awful way to look at anything. Consider all the other options first.

I have an issue with it being, as you said, an ultimate close combat tool. It's an unwieldy and shitty chainsaw in an age of energy weapons and laser swords that may as well be able to cut through walls. I don't mind it being strong. I mind it being over the top with a collection of abilities that no other weapon can rival.

The only major issue I have with it is that it is a lethal version of the stun baton. I don't know if it deflects projectiles or not, I've never willingly tried to fight or push past a person with a chainsaw, but from what I witnessed you only need one hit to knock someone down and they are at your mercy from then on out, I watched a rogue clown kill 3 engineers in the CE office, and the engineers weren't trying to fight, they were trying to grab their boss and run away, the clown was just able to quickly walk up and smack them down instantly and just take his time cutting people apart before he finally sawed himself up after killing the CE before security could arrive (his objectives were kill the CE and Die a glorious death, he didn't seem to compute that attacking himself with a chainsaw wouldn't kill him)

It's not the high damage that makes it OP, it's the garunteed stun/knock down that lets any maniac weilding it go on killing sprees, it doesn't appear to slow you down and the only drawbacks are you are highly visible and you can't hide it (without a Bag of Holding at least), you can swing it as fast a stun club and it never runs out of charge/fuel for it's knock down. Making the thing Plasma powered (like a flamethrower) might be a way bring it back in to something someone can't quickly buy and equip.

As for the Revving sound... can always go to basics and go DOOM

Revving

Idling (played on repeat unless action was taken)

Slashing and Cutting

I really only see one way to nerf the chainsaw and not make it useless, lower the chance to stun somewhat.

If i doesn't block projectiles it is useless because insta-stuns are ridiculous op right now. No point in having a chainsaw if you just get tasered or batoned immediately. You can't hide it in your bag, it is loud and extremely obvious, you can't use any sort of shield with it, you shouldn't be able to charge someone with it.

Also, a chainsaw isn't just going to get stuck on a bone. The chainsaw teeth are made to take the tiniest little cuts at a time and even have little rakers to help pull that material out of the way and throw it off to the side. They are designed to not suck shit up into the gear drive. If you want it to wear down, make the blades get dull over time and require a file or tool to sharpen it. A chainsaw will go through flesh like butter even if you just got done destroying the teeth grinding on rebar.

I do like the space-lube idea, also a mask would be totally awesome.

If you remove projectile blocking and stun the only way to keep it viable would be increase user's speed. Perhaps if there is a way to make it block only stun weapons, a normal taser with wires would be ripped out or cut away and useless and a baton would jump and skip off a running chainsaws blade if it didn't just get snapped or cut in half from the force of getting caught on the blade. If you have it modeled as a non-wire futuristic taser then the chainsaw itself could have future technology, like absorbing the electricity from the taser, maybe even help super-charge the chainsaw. It could also for example disarm and toss a baton away if someone tried to to hit a chainsaw guy with it from catching on the blade.

Compare this to other weapons a syndicate might use, not to civilian and security standard weapons. A syndicate bullet to the head will knock down or out, a bomb will blow you to gibs, a plasma fire will cook you in no time, a vacuum (current shit atmos withstanding) will pop your lungs and break bones.

It may be powerful, but it is also a huge sign that announces "im a dangerous antag ready to kill", I don't think anyone is going to hear a chainsaw noise and be like "huh, lets go see what this giant chainsaw wielding space maniac is up t- ARRGHGHGHA"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use