Doors and ID's

Fruerlund

Airlocks aboard the station scans the users ID and then determines if it has suffecient access.

Sometimes crimes are comitted and the suspects are forced to go trough doors. Tracking down suspects as detective is a challenge indeed however I think that with adding the following suggestion it gets both more interesting for the suspect but also for the detective.

Airlocks should log, which ID has opened the Airlock and a time stamp starting from the 12:00 hour mark. This would be quite "realistic" as the Airlock already scans the ID to open.

Screwdriver, right click print log? Sort of thing.

This would be great for high security airlocks, like those around the Vault, Upload, AI Core, Armory, Bridge, Captain's Office, Gravity Generator, Technical Storage, etc..., but not all airlocks.

These airlocks could also log any actions tampering with the electronics like pulses, maintenance panel opening, and wire severing (unless the logger itself was depowered).

I agree for high-security airlocks only, otherwise it would be annoying for those theorist syndies to execute their masterful plans.

The log data definitely should probably be fed to the Security Record computers for review, which would also show the status of the loggers (whether on/off or depowered); something else for the Warden/AI to do/keep his eye on.

When deactivated, door loggers should also report and timestamp both the time and cause of deactivation and send a final transmission + alert status to Sec Records (until they're updated again).

These logs could of course be printed from the terminal.

I like the idea from a realism point of view, but I have no idea how it would be for balance. I assume for most doors they'd have so many people using them it'd be kinda useless and the logs would be just spammed, but for some rooms like the armoury/caps office it'd be very useful, especially against rouge HoP's.

I like it from a realism standpoint, but I fear this will make criming and triatoring literally impossible to execute successfully.

Example.

You run into Xenobio...you see your target--you pen him and fight with him him before spacing him.

Person happens to notice that he's dead, on medical, just before he gets spaced (or some people just happen to notice he's missing, period). Detective runs a scan on the door--you're promptly arrested and executed for murder because you were the only two in the the room when he died.

Again--realistic for all things to be logged, but I fear this will be a nightmare for traitors...especially with the currently awful "validhunt all dem antags" thing going on, right now.

That's why I recommend limiting it to high security areas.

To be fair, there are ways to circumvent it via crypto (which I assume would totally destroy the logger along with the rest of the airlock electronics), false walls, cutting both the main and back up door power, or even just pulsing it off (I think it would best be implemented as an extra circuit if at all possible).

Log System would be nice and a traitor could use a stolen id card to hide is traces.

For Example:

Traitor stole an id then was able to build a secret door to his office. So logs show that he never left his workplace, or that he never was in the specific room.

I also think this shold be resticted to workplaces (robotics/ toxin storage... ) and high security places (security wing). Hallway doors dont need this and the logs would be awfully long.

I would also find it cool, if you have to use your card on the specific (high security door) and you have to enter a valid code too. This code could be changed by HOS/HOP/CAP/ AI or the specific Head of Department.

PS: Could stop the greytide.

PS: Door timmings need an overhaul the are far to long open.

One thing I'd really like to see on high security doors is not only a logger, but also a reinforced maintenance panel that either requires a valid ID to unlock, or a welding torch and a substantial amount of time; alerts would be forwarded to the Security Records console & AI when it is tampered with, or cryptoed.

It's silly that these doors are every bit as easy to circumvent as any other on the station.

Not a wire, a device you can attach (maybe a pai) . This devices provides access to those door and you could change times and names which are listed. Could be used for framing. :mrgreen:

I like this idea, but am really sad at one thing:

No one has mentioned the Agent ID. It literally is an ID that can change names on the fly. Sure, you gotta swipe an ID with access onto it, but once it has that access it NEVER loses it. These are one of the absolute best items to frame people with, deceive security and the AI with, and would function beautifully with the access log idea proposed here.

Adding logging to high-security / command areas like the vault, bridge, and department head offices by default sounds great. As for other doors, I think that should be something that would need to be specifically added in-round via an upgrade, much like how you can upgrade security cameras. This would help avoid every door being logged all the time, but also avoid the issue of which doors should and should not be logged.

Shove a tape recorder into the door's open maintenance panel, and it will log every ID that it opens for (logging failed accesses would be too messy). However, once the tape in the recorder fills up, the logging stops until a fresh one is inserted (or the original is popped out and wiped). High security doors would have a much larger storage capacity, so they can typically survive a normal round without filling up. AI and borg accesses would be logged as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use