Shadowlings

Spacemanspark

Shadowlings  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

fuck yeah, a another end of the world situation where everyone is probably doomed, and its pretty original!!!

basically rev with no lolflash and the revs have a superpowered overlord.

the points isnt always to kill it, it is to survive as long as possible, when it ascends into its final form its probably stronger than deathsquad, and you shall be proud of being able to survive 5 minutes after it ascends.

i need sleep...

I'm definitely for this. They look really fun, and I think admins were even talking about it earlier (also about perhaps using it to replace Rev). Perhaps a few nerfs if they end up being too stronk when first implemented.

As HereticChurch mentioned, this circulated through the admin chat earlier today, with a general nod of approval over the concept.

The nods intensified when I mentioned it could potentially replace Rev with a slightly more balanced version of the same TDM concept. In theory, the shadowlings would have a win condition of kill/enthrall X% of the crew (like Xenos), and the crew would have a win condition of kill all the shadowlings.

While effectively Rev, it addresses the issue of lolflash-ing tactics by making the conversions take time. Also, a shadowling who has hatched is clearly marked as the target, a trade-off for their increased power. Security would be encouraged to go non-lethal on potential thralls, because killing a non-thrall would actually be furthering the shadowlings' objective rather than their own. Thralls would be released from their enslavement when their master (the shadowling who enthralled them) is killed, encouraging security to once again capture rather than kill thralls.

Further tweaks to some of the numbers would be needed, like 15 thralls to ascend might be too low (especially on high-pop rounds), as would making sure that implants protect against the enthralling process (if they don't already).

All in all: There is a positive reaction from the admin team on this potential port, it has some fantastic potential.

I was watching the pull on git hoping it would keep getting updated, and it seems to be!

Should hopefully capture the fun of defending yourself from a station full of nutjobs!

Not sure why we need a poll for it really, people CAN comment, and abstain just seems completely pointless.

Z7HeRxU.png

No.

Ok, I'm kidding. It could be interesting; I"ll have to look into it--I fully admit most of my energies and time have been focused on refining and polishing Goonchem to an absolute shine.

I agree, this would be very interesting, doomsday scenarios are always fun, if not annoying in some cases (I'm looking at you mutiny).

It should be tweaked around tough, I don't like the idea of something I just can't kill, we already have Nar-Sie, and that's not player controled (well it is, but it goes after your ass to eat you).

(Can we give the chaplain a Holy Water Super Soaker?)

It should be tweaked around tough, I don't like the idea of something I just can't kill

On the contrary, I like the idea of something being unkillable as it forces the crew to actually pay attention to it rather then have it as a kind of after thought, plus it's something entirely preventable rather then an inevitablity (Blob) or something that ramps up to fast from an outside source (Xenos).

what if...we changed the gamemode a bit so there are revs at the same time as shadowlings?

Either he shadow lings would get reved and enslave everyone anyway or the shadowlings would take over head revs by accident.

It seems like an overpowered changeling with super-Rev convert abilities.

That said, I'd happily have Shadowling Replace Revolutoins IF the number of thralls required to ascend was raised to 20-30, if not more. We routinely hit 100 players during peak rounds, 15 assistants/civilians going missing isn't a big deal. With Ascendants being virtually unkillable and thralling not a horribly complicated process

Do Thralls get any special powers as well? I could see it being fun that as the hivemind grows with thralls, thralls unlock minor powers of their own, some high level ones could even deal damage spread evenly across the hive mind, so if 5 or 6 people tried to use it they might die, but if 10 or even 20 made use of them, it would be an irritation. One of reasons Cult rounds can be so fun is because a competent cult member can equip their converts with robes, stun papers or even their own tomes. If Thralls are Revs with a hivemind, I'm saying pass because we already have that round type and don't need another one. Powerhouse changlings sound fun, but if Thralls just get to spectate or greytide, it's going turn to bullshit REALLy fast.

I'm abstaining from voting until these concerns are addressed, for the time being this sounds like Revolution but instead of Syndicate Uplinks the Head Revs have changling/cult-esque powers. For those heads its fun, for everyone else its a clusterfuck.

This sounds really great as a possible replacement for Rev. IMO, thralls should have to stay in the dark too, otherwise they de-convert after a while in the light. It might make it a bit less murderboney, since the thralls would be sticking in their "territory" more and would definitely counter the problem of them being unconvertable

This sounds really great as a possible replacement for Rev. IMO, thralls should have to stay in the dark too, otherwise they de-convert after a while in the light. It might make it a bit less murderboney, since the thralls would be sticking in their "territory" more and would definitely counter the problem of them being unconvertable

actually, flash the thrall alot or shine a penlight or a flashlight in their eyes alot to deconvert sounds better.

and for arthur... scroll all the way down to the OP section

+Shadowling strengths:

+ - The dark

+ - Hard vacuum (They are not affected by it)

+ - Their thralls who are not harmed by the light

+ - Stealth

+

+Shadowling weaknesses:

+ - The light

+ - Fire

+ - Enemy numbers

+ - Lasers (Lasers are concentrated light and do more damage)

+ - Flashbangs (High stun and high burn damage; if the light stuns humans, you bet your ass it'll hurt the shadowling very much!)

+

+Shadowlings start off disguised as normal crew members, and they only have two abilities: Hatch and Enthrall.

+They can still enthrall and perhaps complete their objectives in this form.

+Hatch will, after a short time, cast off the human disguise and assume the shadowling's true identity.

+They will then assume the normal shadowling form and gain their abilities.

+

+The shadowling will seem OP, and that's because it kinda is. Being restricted to the dark while being alone most of the time is extremely difficult and as such the shadowling needs powerful abilities.

+Made by Xhuis

+

+*/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use