Bringing up an old issue. (OH&S)

Dumbdumn5

Eh, not really what I was looking for, but that buff would outweigh the welding and cabling.

(The amount of times I've dealt with a glass shard, a crowbar, and a cigarette...)

• 2 weeks later...

So cardborgs with a metal polish.

Human masterrace.

Wait a minute... FileSoldierIdiotBox.png

Also, please do note that what happens on the code side of this is NOT what happens in-game. It all depends on how things play out in game. For example, you can't code RP, something's going to happen in an area that the system wasn't built for. Sure, they're easy enough to maintain, but you need a good community to actually get some cooperation going. Also note, due to buggy organ code, IPCs now have human brains... and organs... I think we have officially reached people in cardboard suits saying beep boop.

Absolutely not, especially with the tide strongly in favor of re-adding near total damage immunity to IPCs.

Yes, they can't self-heal---but humans don't exactly have an easy time of this either unless they have chemistry access.

Any IPC could self-heal if this wasn't a limitation, as wire and welders are universally available to literally everyone.

I think the main issue right now is just adding back 'near total damage immunity to IPC's'.

Which isn't really true, because, again, you flick them and they fall apart. Seriously.

I have to disagree with you on that one Fox. IPCs are incredibly fragile, and I might be mistaken on this, but they take such extreme damage as a two fold balance because they can't toxin/suffocation damage AND because they were capable of healing themselves, to a point. The low threshold for limb destruction on them as well kept welders from being abused since 2-3 hits with a full sized oxygen tank was all but garunteed to remove the limb.

I'd be quite happy to see IPCs loose their pressure immunity, having them require IPC suits/external cooling units or take constant burn damage all over their body. These external cooling units (ECUs) could be battery operated OR consume water, requiring the IPC to refill them at sinks and water tanks regularly or overheat on space walks. Could even add a few tech levels to the item (matter bin upgrades or entirely new units) that allow longer walks.

As far as regular crew not having access to medicine, that's not entirely true. Medical supplies are scattered across the station in public areas, and eating food promotes healing of minor injuries, if I ever find myself exposed to a breach, the firs thing I do is eat a box of noraisins or cup of soup (with water) and my health slowly climbs back up to 100. These wounds are comparable to the threshold of damage an IPC limb can take before it falls off/becomes completely nonfunctional, basically below the breaking point.

Structure damage requiring surgery/new limbs could be added, as well as the need for new circuits/repairs of internals by replacing them with cyborg repair equipment (actuators, cameras, power cell, ect...)

Being so fragile and having no means to mitigate the damage just seems unfair, especially when you consider EVERY crew member starts out with an auto injector of epinephrine to stabilize them should they go into crit.

I agree with the OP. Cool sentiment, but Fox has blocked this idea.

Absolutely not, especially with the tide strongly in favor of re-adding near total damage immunity to IPCs.

So what is the ultimate solution to this self-maintenance problem IPCs have?

To be entirely honest, self-repair would be good to have back in. Before a few of the most recent updates IPCs were actually fairly balanced. Sure they needed help to be repaired, but death was almost bug free aside from one issue with oxygen damage. The main reason that self repair is necessary is because of the fact that the damage threshold really is so low. If you so much as take a little shock from say, a vending machine, your arm/hand flies off, and if you take any damage on your arms, you can't hold anything without dropping it and sparking everywhere. It's a struggle to hold the welder, much less turn it on, aim, and use on yourself. The reason so many people are arguing against the claim of "near damage immunity" is because of the large increase in the damage types they do take. In the end, however this is remedied will be discussed by the maintainers. I know Fox can't veto anything directly, yet I do see his concern. If IPCs took normal amounts of damage or, as some of the vars for prosthetics say 50% less brute and burn, then I'd not have made a post about this. IPCs would be way too overpowered if they were given self-repair in this case, however the problem is, the damage types they can take are the two most common. Almost everything deals physical damage and anything involving lasers, shock, energy, and so on deal brute and sometimes burn as well. So having an increase in the two most common damage types makes it so that you're dying left and right, and that, if you can get out alive, you'll be lucky if anyone notices that you're actually hurt in the first place. That's why it's so important to have self repair, because the two most common damage types are amplified in a way that makes it so any person with any form of crowbar, which is also incredibly common, can simply whack you two or three times and make you lose a limb/die on the spot.

Why not take the old self healing mechanic we used to have.

And give it to IPC's.

Their arms would still malfunction.

But they wouldn't be as fucked over.

Why not take the old self healing mechanic we used to have.

And give it to IPC's.

Their arms would still malfunction.

But they wouldn't be as fucked over.

Precisely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use