Proposed Idea: ZAS Tuning (stunning and fire)

Fox McCloud

LINDA is eventually planned on being implemented here on Para; one feature of LINDA is that it doesn't have airflow knocking you over or throwing you into a piece of machinery 100x in a row (Keeping you stunlocked) until you die. It does, however, still push you around.

Proposal and discussion: Removing ZAS's stun when airflow pushes you around. You could still be shoved around by the airflow, but you wouldn't be stunned by it; you could still get slammed against machinery and walls and take damage, again, you'd just be stunned by it.

The second proposition would be removing fires destroying walls; this helps cut down on smaller fires devastating entire departments because they burn through one wall and spill out into a gigantic area (floor burning and item burning would remain in tact); it also removes the fear of creating burn chambers that end up accidentally destroying a portion of the station.

I don't particularly like having these changes implemented, at least both of them, since it'd severely nerf the way atmos can be used as a weapon by Atmospheric Technicians that know what they're doing.

Fires have been somewhat nerfed already in the sense that any alternative sources besides forced, intentional arson have been removed (welding fuel) or toned down (atmospheric anomaly) to the point that a fire that was not caused intentionally is quite rare. From my perspective, seeing how fires are now primarily used as weapons, they should actually be worthwhile to be used as such, either for the devastation of more than just the are affected directly, or pressure overload to keep people out/use it to your advantage.

Removing both of those features would eliminate the effective uses of stacking pressure either via canister or by fire in a certain area then releasing it into a room, same going for surprise breaches by nuke ops or other explosive detonations/windows for shock & awe, the inability to resist the suck-out is what made it a useful tool as an antag, if they can still run, shoot and otherwise interact/react to it, it'd make the tech's or antag's efforts more in vain.

I guess I do have some bias coming from the fact that I have learned to exploit the ever-living crap out of the way ZAS works with pressure stacking, temperature and such that I see these changes as taking something that requires some knowledge to pull off properly and correctly for a great reward to becomes less rewarding for the same amount of effort.

Just for reference, once LINDA is implemented, getting stunned by airflow won't be a thing, at all; they can get pushed around, but slamming into things or getting knocked over won't happen--ever.

Either case, Fire's damage potential is still pretty immense, currently for a large amount of people, especially since ZAS screws with entire zones instantaneously instead of spreading out.

damage from body temp: 8 (-5 if they're not on fire)

damage from breathing hot air: 8

High pressure damage: 4

This isn't even factoring in the 6-20 damage you take, per slam, against a wall/structure (this would still be around, just not the weaken from it).

Even without slamming, it's enough to crit you in ~7.5 seconds (~10 not on fire); if they have internals it'll crit them in ~12.5 seconds (~28 not on fire).

Fire also burns tiles and destroys objects.

To a degree it's just preparing people for "life after ZAS".

Stunlock is shitty and needs to die, but I do kind of like that large pressure differences shove you over. It would probably be easy to make it so you can't be pushed over again when you're on the ground.

Walls melting in fires make fires more dangerous and something to actually fear. If this is a big problem then the numbers could probably be tweaked so that only the really hot plasma fires melt walls, or make it so it takes a little bit of time for walls to melt.

Stun locking is terrible, but I wonder - what would become of magboots?

Perhaps it's just sentimental of me, because my first ever kill as a traitor I achieved by turning on my magboots then opening a door repeatedly while my target yelled at me for being a moron. This really showed me the potential for atmos and SS13.

Stun locking is terrible, but I wonder - what would become of magboots?

Perhaps it's just sentimental of me, because my first ever kill as a traitor I achieved by turning on my magboots then opening a door repeatedly while my target yelled at me for being a moron. This really showed me the potential for atmos and SS13.

Magboots would still prevent you from being thrown around by the air, which allows you to proceed more directly to where you want to go AND prevents all damage form being thrown into walls.

It also prevents the singulo from pulling you.

oh, also magboots have NOSLIP on them, so there's that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use