Discussion: Homogenizing the Science Job

Fox McCloud

Currently science is one of the few departments that its roles split into multiple jobs with unique access.

I'd like to discuss the possibility of homogenizing the science job---this really would only impact Xenobiologists at the moment---Effectively, what I'm suggesting is this:

- removal of the Xenobiologist job as a unique role

- Granting scientists Xenobiology access

- Giving scientists the alt-title "Xenobiologist"

- Total science positions increased from 5 to 6

- Total spawn positions increased from 3 to 6 (meaning that these positions are available from round-start as opposed to having to be latejoined)

There really isn't any particular reason for Xenobiology to be limited to two slots other than to keep the amount of active personnel in the department limited--that said, I hardly ever see this problem with the rest of science: R&D, toxins, telesci, Xenobotany, and Xenoarch aren't typically overcrowded----and Xenobiology has better capabilities of handling more than 2 people better than most of the other science jobs. The additional science job slot in addition to the doubling of round-start science job opening more than compensates for the removal of the Xenobiologist sub-job.

While my knowledge of science is limited to "FUCKING SCIENCE!", I really don't see any change from this apart from simplifying a very minor thing.

Wonder why it was like that to start with really.

Med seems to have more variety - Chemist, Doctor, Genetics, Paramedic, Virologist - but this makes sense.

The Xenobiologist never made much sense to me as a completely separate role, so I support it. But I've played xenobiologist...once. So my opinion isn't worth much.

Yay... more ways to murder the crew with a single job.

Yeah science is pretty much already one of the very powerful jobs and very powerful nerds nerds nerd things very strong, gold slimes toxins and other stuff. I GUESS.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use