Secure dangerous mech weapons when built

SpaceTimeNow

Pretty straight forward: the same way dangerous R&D items spawn in an ID locked box, the mech weapons should also spawn in an ID locked crate out of the exosuit fabricator in robotics.

So the HoS or Warden (for lethals) or Security Officer (for stuns) would have to go to robotics and open the crate before the weapons could be installed into the mech. The same abuse that previously happend with R&D weapons has now shifted even stronger to robotics.

The thing with Mech weapons is that the Mechs themselves are very obvious, you can tell when they are being made, many are slow and very telltale with their loud thunking footsteps and you can use the computer in the RD office to immediately lockdown the mech. With the weapons from RD you can hide them in your backpack and some don't even have a sprite to see the player having them. The Weapons are powerful but also gated through the mineral cost of the mechs themselves. A single sheet of a mineral can go a long way in the R&D Department.

The fucking RIPLEY can kill you in two seconds with its drill, no matter what the armour. Just get an officer, a RIPLEY, and a pilot, and go to town on all those nuclear operatives, one by one.

Since this thread is obviously against having fun, how about we put the advanced mop in a lockbox, too? CAN'T LET THEM JANITORS SLIP THE CREW, NONO

Fun for one and a major pain in the ass for others. The reason why so few people like to play security on this server is because they get fucked over so much and this is a very common instance lately.

If someone wants to be a completly useless condom then he can use a utility mech and not a mech armed with lethal weapons.

you can use the computer in the RD office to immediately lockdown the mech

That's a negative, a roboticist that intents to abuse his mech will obviously not install a tracking beacon and with that the ability to control it from the RD computer.

With the weapons from RD you can hide them in your backpack and some don't even have a sprite to see the player having them. The Weapons are powerful but also gated through the mineral cost of the mechs themselves. A single sheet of a mineral can go a long way in the R&D Department.

A weapon mounted to a mech might be more obvious but it's also way more dangerous. Let's be real here, we are talking about non-antags that have no buissness creating lethal mechs for themselfs in the first place. An antag could just order an emag and unlock them. Also it's usually a matter of is mining working or not and not of the amount that they bring back. So i don't see this stronger gated than R&D weapons.

Everyone that plays only somewhat regulary on this server should know that self regulation due to deparment heads or similar means simply does not work consitently. I see combat mechs constructed almost every second round and i honestly can't think of any instance where i recently saw them ending up in security.

As Earth said, mech weapons are gated through what can equip them; primarily the Gygax and the Durand; both of these require a decent amount of resources from mining before these are up and running. Additionally, the ranged stun rework dramatically limits the effectiveness of the most commonly used mech weapon; the triple-burst Ultra AC 2.

I'd rather not relegate mech weapons to sec or traitor only, especially given the amount of time you and mining has to invest to even build one; likewise, if someone can manage to get something crazy like a Phazon built during a Rev round and kill the heads of staff with it? More power to them.

We hardly ever have problem with people griefing or abusing mech weapons---with one exception; the damn HONKER blast (and that problem is primarily because of "Clown Planet"'s easy access to virtually unlimited amounts of bananium).

We hardly ever have problem with people griefing or abusing mech weapons---with one exception; the damn HONKER blast (and that problem is primarily because of "Clown Planet"'s easy access to virtually unlimited amounts of bananium).

The person inside the mech doesn't even need to use the weapon to impact the game, only him threatening beeing in potential killing machine is enough for security having to chase them. You can't know their intentions and they never include beacons to remotly control the mech.

I would ask you to pay attention to what's going on in robotics the next rounds and if Mining is working, i can almost guarantee there will be robotcists wasteing materials to built their very own killing machine. If they use the weapons or not is irrelevant, you can't have killing machines running around that could overpower security at any given time.

In the end i don't care if this issue is resolved via securing the weapons or admins paying more attention to it but something needs to happen. If i play security officer, command or AI, i want to do other things than chasesing the non-antags in mechs all day. I just thought securing the weapons would be a easy way for roboticist having to include security when building one.

In the end i don't care if this issue is resolved via securing the weapons or admins paying more attention to it but something needs to happen. If i play security officer, command or AI, i want to do other things than chasesing the non-antags in mechs all day. I just thought securing the weapons would be a easy way for roboticist having to include security when building one.

This, please.

Yeah I agree two hundred percent. The amount of condom robotics lately has been through the roof. Literally had one come into the armory and ask for me for all the lazer pistols while playing warden. When I told him no he laughed and said he would take them by force. Like WHAT nonantag does that?

(solution: casually get ion rifle and blow the phazon to smithereens)

Something needs to be done asap. This whole "hur hur I is self antag cus I has phazon and is walk through walls or I is durand and you cant kill me hur hur" is ludicrous and blows the whole self antag rules out of the water.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use