Printing IPC heads and torsos

Eldrin-Kanthos

Could we add to the robotcist machine the ability to print IPC heads and torsos? At least the torsos.

The heads could be printable to as to let posibrains that get activated be turned into IPC. In theory I suppose you might be able to put a normal brain in there.

The torso though is much needed. Many times when an IPC is killed their head gets lost from their body. I have spent many rounds silently cursing as my head was found, but not my body.

If both are added this could allow complete IPC bodies to be created, and stockpiled. It means a quicker way to get an IPC back into a round if the roboticist does their job, or a way for them to make a new player that is not a borg.

Yes please. I hate not being able to revive robotic friends/fiends when im randomly selected as MD.

If only you guys could keep your noggin intact more, har-har.

Sure this method works too. As long as ipcs are buildable, I can do silly things to them.

Need like, an ipc painter too. Works like a pipe painter.

This! I have seen two IPC in the game with custom colors and would love the ability to change mine!

Could we add to the robotcist machine the ability to print IPC heads and torsos? At least the torsos.

The heads could be printable to as to let posibrains that get activated be turned into IPC. In theory I suppose you might be able to put a normal brain in there.

The torso though is much needed. Many times when an IPC is killed their head gets lost from their body. I have spent many rounds silently cursing as my head was found, but not my body.

If both are added this could allow complete IPC bodies to be created, and stockpiled. It means a quicker way to get an IPC back into a round if the roboticist does their job, or a way for them to make a new player that is not a borg.

My main concern with this is the fact that IPCs are a karma-locked race. By allowing people to become them through gameplay like this, I feel that would severely lower the value of having spent the karma for players who already own it.

However, to have the capability of repairing an IPC who's been 99% destroyed is something I'd very much support. Printing off new torsos would be great, but I don't see a reason to create new heads, as the only case this could be useful would be when the subject is debrained and the head is forever lost to the mighty singularity.

I don't really see the problem with letting people who haven't unlocked ipc still play ipc as long as they're created mid-round. Like dona nymphs. Diona are karma locked too but that doesn't stop people spawning as nymphs right?

Hopefully if you can print ipc heads, there's a way to insert positrons into them.

I don't really see the problem with letting people who haven't unlocked ipc still play ipc as long as they're created mid-round. Like dona nymphs. Diona are karma locked too but that doesn't stop people spawning as nymphs right?

Hopefully if you can print ipc heads, there's a way to insert positrons into them.

Wait, what? Diona aren't, and as far as I'm aware, have never been karma locked.

But, to the issue of this thread. I play as IPC fairly often, and even if I don't think I've ever been in a situation where my torso was missing, it would still be a good idea to make IPC torso's avaliable in robotics.

• 6 months later...

Printable torsos and groins? Yes please.

IPC that loses their shiny metal ass should not be permanently ded, we have the science, we can rebuild them!

If I'm correct, there was an IPC (P.I.N., I believe, was their name) who had their groin asploded by an EMP artifact. Somehow he lived after I put him together. Sadly, he lost his shiny metal ass.

Printable torsos and groins? Yes please.

IPC that loses their shiny metal ass should not be permanently ded, we have the science, we can rebuild them!

If I'm correct, there was an IPC (P.I.N., I believe, was their name) who had their groin asploded by an EMP artifact. Somehow he lived after I put him together. Sadly, he lost his shiny metal ass.

I put together an IPC a while back who lost his groin, we found his torso and burnt out arms and legs, I couldn't put his legs back on because his groin/lower body was missing. So, we had an IPC in a wheel chair for the rest of the round.

IPC bodies should be fully re-printable from Robotics, can't we add a line of code that checks Positron's for Karma unlocks? Otherwise, Science rarely gets the diamonds needed to make more Postiron brains and if we just make it so IPCs can't take Organic Brains/MMI's I don't see much problem with people circumventing an IPC Karma lock, which would still require the body of an IPC to begin with since you can't build IPC Torso's or Lower bodies either.

Otherwise, Science rarely gets the diamonds needed to make more Postiron brains and if we just make it so IPCs can't take Organic Brains/MMI's I don't see much problem with people circumventing an IPC Karma lock, which would still require the body of an IPC to begin with since you can't build IPC Torso's or Lower bodies either.

Circumventing a karma lock is entirely out of the question. This would effectively render the unlock completely useless, which would be at the bare minimum aggravating to those who already spent their karma on it. Having a check to see if they have the karma lock would be snowflakey at best in terms of the code required, and would need to be checked ONLY when they are being inserted into an IPC head as to ensure that the posibrain remains a viable choice for ghosts to return to the round as a cyborg.

While science may or may not reliably get diamonds now (this will likely change with the TG mining port being worked on), there IS a posibrain on the table in robotics at round start. Further, any cyborg using the "Android" alternate title has a posibrain inside it, meaning there are additional posibrains.

I can support printing off replacement torsos/groins, however that in itself would be rather problematic since it's actually the torso that is considered the mob in terms of tracking variables. This already creates some odd issues that need to be resolved regarding things such as repairing brain damage on a dead IPC, as the brain damage is (counter-intuitively) not tracked on the head/brain.

So yea, allowing robotics to print off new heads and effectively build entirely new IPCs, while nice sounding, will likely not happen. This is for the same reason that there are no monkey cubes for any karma race: to avoid people bypassing the karma lock system and becoming one mid-round easily. Printing off torsos, while also nice sounding, would require a heavy amount of work for coder(s) to implement given how mobs are handled, and likely will not happen any time soon.

This is the only server I play on that allows anyone to play Tajaran or Unathi but restricts IPCs, so the point in them being Karma locked at all is a hot topic for debate.

Circumventing a karma lock is entirely out of the question. This would effectively render the unlock completely useless, which would be at the bare minimum aggravating to those who already spent their karma on it. Having a check to see if they have the karma lock would be snowflakey at best in terms of the code required, and would need to be checked ONLY when they are being inserted into an IPC head as to ensure that the posibrain remains a viable choice for ghosts to return to the round as a cyborg.

And I already said there should be a check, it should be no different than Synthetic Ban checks that are supposed to happen every time someone becomes an MMI, and as I also said, there is no way to build an IPC body right now to begin with so this would require another IPC be debrained.

IPCs need a complete repass when it comes to how they are coded and how they fit into the current code, the number of bugs, mishaps and general trend of things not working how they are supposed to is getting out of hand.

IPCs aren't balanced at all right now, the only people who play them are the ones who have always played IPCs or just really want to be a robot; they can't self repair, there is literally no way to revive them if you lose their torso for any reason since they can't be cloned. They literally fall apart if you hit them 5 times, they apparently still take damage from low/high pressure even though they are supposed to be vacuum proof, all for not needed to eat food or breathe air, or need welding goggles. The coders/staff need to sit down and rethink this race and compare it with the other race.

Guys, how about this? A machine that can be created from a circuit, which you insert a posibrain and it builds an IPC head and torso onto it automatically. It would require a single var added to posibrain code, to check if the brain was from an IPC, and it would also make it so that you don't have to worry about making a new /mob/ every single time. This could, essentially, be IPC cloning that is reliant on research and robotics.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use