Replacement Suggestion for Customs Officer

Streaky Haddock

Customs Officer is shit, we can all agree.

An alternative, then.

Departmental Security Officer

I'm not sure how you'd pick what department you'll be. Maybe it'll be done like ambassador where you pay 10kp to be a medical officer and 30kp to be a science officer, or perhaps it'll be an alt title.

Maybe you'll get a list just like the Chaplain where you will choose.

Either way.

Engineering Officer

Spawns with combat gloves (purely for shock resistance), a Security Jumpsuit, magboots, a flash and two cuffs. They will spawn with either a combat webbing + armband combo or an armoured vest with an orange stripe across it or an engineering beret as well as a Security Engineering Headset.

Their locker will hold standard security gear, as well as a Security Hardsuit.

My reasoning for the combat gloves, hardsuit and magboots is to prevent the officer stealing from the very department he is meant to protect. His primary role is to protect and monitor the supermatter, singularity and atmospherics; as well as assisting the CE with demotions and accompanying Engineers to dangerous repair jobs. He is not himself an Engineer.

He will be assigned to the Chief Engineer and the Head of Security. Due to the dullness of protecting a department with few people in it, as well as the toys he gets I think the Karma Limit should be high. 30-45kp to make it less likely that dumbhand mcgoober will get his hands on the role, as well as making people more cautious about losing their investment (via job-banning).

Medical Officer

Spawns with a security jumpsuit (although if you mod the orderly jumpsuit to have similar protection, that would be a fucking perfect fit. Orderlies tend to be the ones wrestling mental patients, moving roller beds around etc), jackboots, latex gloves and a sterile mask as well as a security jumpsuit. They will spawn with a webbing item that is essentially a combat webbing with a medical armband sprite attached, or they will have a pale blue stripe across their armour or a medical beret

The Latex Gloves and Sterile mask are to reduce the chances of infection from arrivals to his checkpoint as well as a Security Medical checkpoint.

His checkpoint will have a standard sec locker and a security biosuit.

He will be assigned to the Chief Medical Officer and the Head of Security. Medical Officer should be a job with low karma points (10kp) since the job can already be easily picked up by any sec officer right now, and it's proved itself to be of little trouble and often times appreciated. The Medical Officer won't get much in the way of exciting toys, but the constant flow of bloodied bodies and druggies through medbay makes for an entertaining shift, which means the Officer will be less likely to fuck around out of boredom.

Research Officer

Spawns with a Security Jumpsuit, jackboots, a flash and two cuffs like regular officers as well as a security/research headset and a webbing armband combo/purple striped armour/research beret

His checkpoint will contain regular security gear as well as a firesuit locker and a security biosuit locker. There will be an extinguisher in his office to deal with slimes. His locker will also contain a laser gun to deal with the monsters telescience produces.

He will be assigned to the Research Director and Head of Security. Research Officer is a tricky one since the only toy he gets is a laser gun, but if he's useful to his department they may shower him with other goodies. I'm not decided on the karma points for this one. 30-40?

He will have access to telescience, xenobio, research and the research station. I don't see why he'd need robotics or toxins access, since toxins is supposed to be unobserved mostly anyway (at least i think so) and robotics is easy to look at, and roboticists will let you in if they need you in there.

Supply Officer

Spawns with a Security Jumpsuit, Jackboots, a flash and two cuffs like regular officers and a webbing&armband/brown striped armour/cargo beret or cap as well as a security/supply headset.

His checkpoint will contain a security hardsuit, magboots and regular security gear.

He will keep an eye on cargo, as well as patrol mining to make sure nobody's preying on the miners. There's always the risk that he will go native to cargonia, but that's sometimes a risk we have to take.

The Supply Officer will be assigned to the department least likely to welcome him, but also has great capacity for recieving goodies and toys himself. 30kp?

He will be assigned to the Quartermaster (maybe HoP but eh) and Head of Security.

Security Checkpoints

The Security Officers will man checkpoints at the front of each department. They will have an x-ray machine and weapons scanners like the ones outside the brig. However, the weapons scanners are not positioned infront of the door, but instead to the side. So the searchee will have to be directed towards the scanner, and is unlikely to be caught out.

They will have buttons that open and close the main doors to let in those without access.

There will also be the standard security trappings. Security Console and Camera, filing cabinet, paper bin, requests console, newscaster.

I don't expect this to be accepted as is, but it's a nice talking point.

Nerf most of their equipment and they would be fine. Otherwise they would just be sec officer+

It would be pretty easy to add a sec office in the engineering hallway right beside tech storage (mechanics needs to be moved anyway)

Not quite sure how Fox changed research but where the breakroom currently is, there could be a sec office.

Medical already has an office.

Cargo will be getting reverted to its old layout soon and its a easy space to work with.

No X-ray machine or anything though.

nerf the hardsuits. Think of it like this: They are guards, but not the actual workers.

Security is not needed on-sight during a depressurization, engineering is.

They shouldn't be on-sight clogging up hallways and annoying engineering

They should be security: Block off the hallway, get reports from the people actually DOING the work.

Guard shouldnt have to divulge himself in his guard division's work.

I am defenatly a fan of this idea. Security is understaffed almost every round considering how much player are online. So it's not a bad idea to add some more fun to security, or at least mix it up a bit. This will definitely drag more players into security.

From the few times i did something similar ingame, i really noticed that people accept you much more if you are "their" security guard and not just a random sec officer. You can work much much more efficient if you are around that department a lot and get to meet all the members and get a gerneral feel for the overall situation of the department. You can make much better decision as if you are called to science because two guys are fighting each other 1.5 hours into the round. For this to work it's imperative that you have access to the department radio channel and basic department access to walk around.

The non department security guards could mainly patrol the hallways and the other non department areas. The department security guards can call for assistance from the non department security guards if shit goes down. With the added benefit, that they actually could let them inside and security doesn't need wait at the department entrace anymore, screaming in global coms for someone to let them inside.

I think it's debatable if the department security guards should get added equipment like insulated gloves (combat gloves) and hardsuits. For the sake of actual implementation, they don't even need a dedicated office. I mean it would be neat, but if that's blocking this idea from happening i would rather do it without the offices.

Edit:

I would defenatly dial down on the karma cost, or even better, make it a single unlock for like 30. It's actually really difficult to gain karma on this server if you gain it the "legit" way, because people tend spend it only for the person killing the malf AI or their friends (ooc or IC) and stuff like that. It should be somewhat available since it would be part of the core gameplay and not just some nice to have once in a while job like NT Rep or magistrate.

Edited by Guest

I made a suggestion like this which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2929

It's a very similar idea except without the need of special equipment which may end up getting abused, nor does it blur the line between the officer's duty as a guard and their supposed new mini-duty as a doctor/engineer/whatever.

Also, there really shouldn't be a karma cost in my opinion - this sort of position is less about having special perks on Paradise and more about security being better set up at the start of a game to actually do their job properly.

Other servers have done the department security officer thing pretty well and (from what I've seen) it doesn't lead to extra abuse, since there's barely any new items added to the mix and the officers assigned to these departments only have the power to open some doors - they CANNOT operate any machines or unlock any lockers to take insulated gloves, medicine, research supplies, etc.

My main concerns were that Engineering becomes hazardous frequently due to fuckups and I liked the idea of the Supply officer protecting miners. I added in combat gloves for the Engineering officer so the guard wouldn't pinch insulated gloves.

edit: I also added in the karma requirement because it was suppose to be a spiritual successor to the Customs officer. They'd be able to screen people exiting and leaving departments (through the front door anyway).

My main concerns were that Engineering becomes hazardous frequently due to fuckups and I liked the idea of the Supply officer protecting miners. I added in combat gloves for the Engineering officer so the guard wouldn't pinch insulated gloves.

edit: I also added in the karma requirement because it was suppose to be a spiritual successor to the Customs officer. They'd be able to screen people exiting and leaving departments (through the front door anyway).

Yep, i could see a engineering / cargo - sec guard protecting their crew in E.V.A. with a hardsuit. It's just that this two hardsuits would almost double the current amount of availiable security hard suits (depends if you want to count the pilot hardsuit). Not sure how this would end up balance wise.

The combat gloves as replacement for insulated gloves would make sense, but i don't think giving a sec guard insulated gloves would send the right message. They are supposed to protect the department and not to actually work as an engineer. People are very focused on stuff they get by round start. This whole "i have access to it = i am supposed / allowed to use it in any way i want" mentality is very stronk.

If the CE hands you insulated gloves and allows you to do minor repairs, that's something completly different, but people hate it, if someone (especially security) invades their workspace and thinks they can do everything better and faster.

To me this is a bad idea.

It extends the amount of security going up everyones ass, which can limit roleplay but also severely limit traitor rounds. Too much security spread over huge distances could also cause balance issues, especially with the type of equipment (They should only have a uniform, nothing more. They aren't actually doing handy work).

Security IN the mining colony also sounds like a bit over doing it as well. Mining can handle them selves, I understand fights can break out but it barely happens on mining.

To me its just a useless over-extension to guard areas that don't really need guarding. Engineering MAY need guarding because of the Singularity but why the fuck should Security actually be let IN to engineering to tamper with shit they dont understand?

Medbay makes sense.

Supply again makes no sense.

Any others I will disagree with. Research doesn't need one because the Scientists can usually handle themselves.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use