[BALANCE] blueshield and security comms.

Sadhorizon

Hello, hello, I make this post today to present an idea, and discuss it with ya all.

Idea is - giving blueshield security comms.

"Why do they need them? They are not security!" - You may say, and while you are right, they are NOT security, their job often INVOLVES security. So, why SHOULD the blueshield have access to security comms roundstart?

Minor examples of it are tresspassers - blueshield is to protect command areas and detain trespassers. He however MUST pass the trespasser onto security force for brigging. In this scenario, it'd mostly be convenient, but it's by no means necessary.

Now, more important point - communicating threats. In theory, captain and HoS can communicate any threats via command comms. In practice, they often do not. Knowing what are possible threats helps you be more prepared to save command when it is needed.

Falling under the same category - fast communication about threats. No captain will yell "vampire in science" on command comms, and it sure as hell helps you stand near RD and make sure vampire doesn't get him. Blueshield's job is to also prevent something happening to command. Not only to save them after the fact.

This leads to last point - security comms would help coordinate rescue efforts with security. This is rather self-explanatory.

In general, it just sucks to not even know what is going on because command comms are silent.

Now, what would be the downsides? Or, well, at least the downsides I can think of. Not many!

Most important one, is that it could shift mindset of blueshield players into fighting antags for the sake of it. It's a valid point, but I do not believe it would affect that much. Nobody is stopping you from asking warden for sec comms already, and there is a good chance you will be granted them. My point here is, if you want to redtext the antag man for no lawful reason, you can do it already.

I would love to see the response to this. Hear if this change would be positive or not?

If feedback is rather positive, I will gladly figure out how to code it myself, so do not worry about that.

Edited by Sadhorizon
  • Like 1

• Sadhorizon changed the title to [BALANCE] blueshield and security comms.

I'd be fully alright with them starting with security coms. Better that than they steal one.
Plus, if they do catch a EOC/Greytide, it is better they call for sec and sec picks up said EOC/Greytide, rather than the BS wordlessly pulling them to processing.

There isn't really an excuse to not give the BS one, especially since the fucking HoP gets one for free to listen in.

I support this. It's rule issue if bs uses these to valid hunt to any degree, but they would be super useful in doing their job and would in general make it more interesting if they have something more to listen to than captain rambling about assistants again.

I've always believed they should have security comms.  They need to know when command could potentially be in danger to do their job.  Good Blueshields also won't necessarily charge head first into maintenance alone after a command member and should be coordinating with security to recover them.

Often the captain just ends up giving them a captain headset but in my experience this is often just done for the security access and would likely not be needed if they started with security comms channel.

Sadhorizon already mentioned one of the risks that get brought up when this has been suggested in the past.  In addition to this, it is so easy for them to get the comms access should they need it and gives the option to the HoS / Captain on whether to grant it or not. 

I'm personally of the opinion that they should just start with this channel but I also don't see it as a particularly important addition considering how easy and common it is for them to just be granted this channel when needed.

Considering the HOP gets one or some reason, I do think it's a great idea to give one to the Blueshield as a means of relaying or receiving more information about the tiders, threats, and anything related to security and safety.

They should havem. Can’t protect command if you don’t even know what you’re protecting them from. They should also get a pair of sechuds as well IMO. 

Blueshield is a pretty privileged role as is, so if having sec comms and a hud are the only thing stopping a bluey from going red shield, they probably shouldn’t be playing it to begin with. 

18 minutes ago, TheBadPerson said:

They should havem. Can’t protect command if you don’t even know what you’re protecting them from. They should also get a pair of sechuds as well IMO. 

They start with a sechud and medhud in their locker.

obraz.png.2f3f2c228ffd58769fd463b153c90adf.png

I might also give them actual sechud, maybe. Maybe read_only is enough. Personally, I don't use sechuds much so I really dunno if they need full access to them.

EDIT: Thinking about it, most likely not necessary. And while it could be used to set tresspassers to "arrest", this DOES feel like it'd be outside of blueshield's job.

Edited by Sadhorizon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use