Carded AI traceability

AugustRinger

Hello! 

I have a simple balance suggestion.

As it stands the camera of a carded AI can be accessed from a camera console.

This significantly increases the difficulty of the steal AI objective. 

I propose that the tracking be only possible while wireless activity is enabled on the card. This gives a sort of risk reward balance to using the power of the AI.

To offset this, perhaps an alert that a new AI has connected could be issued to command whenever wireless functions are reenabled.

Why I think this is good for the game: 

The steal AI objective is an engaging objective with several possible paths to completion.

However any scheme or machination is countered checking the location with cameras. 

Subverting an AI or even creating a fresh AI to assist in your goals creates compelling gameplay and ample role play opportunities. Hiding off Z-level to ensure success is not engaging.

As a side note, making it harder to law change a carded AI might be interesting as well. As it stands a card be lawchanged from any AI upload if wireless connection is enabled.

Edited by AugustRinger
Pinpointer -> Cameras

Heya! In addition to what you've said, it's not the pinpointer that tracks the AI (it does while the AI is going malf and doomsday, but that's an edge case), it's the camera console being able to jump to the camera that is set to the AI, so sec can easily track you from there!

There is an additional layer of problems coming with stealing the AI. unless you law it a certain way, it WILL inform its cyborgs via Binary (which works globally, through z-levels, and cannot be disabled no matter what); which makes stealing the AI very hard. (unless you kill all the borgs or leave AI in an area in Space which is hard to track, real fun for the AI player).

• 1 month later...

Having the AI talk to borgs via binary is fine let it do that but having a dead AI be a free camera for sec to stalk me with for an hour makes it so i just refuse to steal AI till shuttle is called every time i roll it cause its just realistically impossible to escape a bored sec team that will chase you down with life feedback on where you hide

Perhaps rendering a carded AI blind when it's wireless is shut off would help matters. After all, if it lacks wireless capabilities, how can it access the camera grid (which is presumably how it's able to see through walls and such from a lore standpoint) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spacemanspark said:

Perhaps rendering a carded AI blind when it's wireless is shut off would help matters. After all, if it lacks wireless capabilities, how can it access the camera grid (which is presumably how it's able to see through walls and such from a lore standpoint) 

im honestly not even mad that normal AIs can be tracked but that DEAD ones can making killing them entirely redundant

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use