Procedure For Permits/Contraband

Lurapa

Overview of Permits/Weapons/Contraband(C)

Possession of a Weapon

-Legal if job weapon. E.g Knife, Hatchet.

- Permitted to By Magistrate, Captain, or Head of Security.

Possession of a Restricted Weapon

-Legal if job weapon. E.g Baton, Taser, Fireaxe, Telescopic Baton, Laser Gun/Disabler, Shotgun, Two Barrel Shotgun.

- Permitted to By Magistrate, Captain, or Head of Security.

Possession of Contraband [C]

-Legal if: Not Spawned From Uplink, AND, Not used in a crime, AND, Authorized/Permit for use.

This Suggestion's Proposal:

There is a grey zone that make Space Law and Possession of Contraband/Weapons not a positive experience. What I am talking about is that during Blue/Red. Security can conduct psuedo arrests, to enforce a search - cooperative or otherwise. And that is often when Weaponry/Contraband are found on a person.

Or persons try and confess to possession, to squeeze in the fact they 'informed Security and were handing it in'. I personally think possession is possession, and if you try and confess to possession, when lawfully stopped (comply or be cuffed), you are past the point where you intended to walk up to the Brig and hand in a Weapon or Contraband.

And I believe that there is a bunch of reasons why Players simply refuse to hand in (C) Contraband, or get it permitted. 

The Why:

There simply isn't a procedure, be it SoP, or community, in place. That ensures a player is protected in this exchange. Shitcurity is a common phrase, but it is very much possible - and non-breaching of SoP, for Shitcurity to just give the person who wants a permit, the short-end of the stick. And there is apt nothing to really do about it besides get told, 'you turned it in'.

What I propose:

Introduce SoP in Legal:

Evidence Storage Procedures General: [Rename Evidence Storage Procedures: -> Evidence Storage Procedures General]

Physical evidence is defined as any object that can be used to prove that a particular person has committed a crime.

1. All evidence confiscated from arrested personnel is to be properly analyzed, then stored in Evidence Storage, either in the lockers in the Forensics Lab, or in the Evidence Storage Room in the Prison Wing;

2. Stored evidence is not be removed from Evidence Storage unless it is required for a trial;

3. As per 206 - "Abuse of Confiscated Equipment", stored evidence is not to be used;

[NEW] vvvvv

Evidence Storage: Permits

Permit Objects are objects not found in Random Search, or Brig Search. They are Objects turned into Security, willingly, by Crew. These Objects can be: Weapons, Restricted Weapons, or C-Class Contraband. 

1. All Permit Objects are to be placed in a evidence storage bag and labeled with relevant information:

[NAME OF PERSON; STATION TIME; OFFICER HANDED TO]

2. Permit Objects are still owned by the person who handed them in. They have 20 Minutes to achieve a Permit for their object. 

3. Evidence Bag with expired station-time is to be relabeled and is no longer eligible for permit, becoming Station Property.

4. Expired Permits can be requested authorization by Security Personnel.  

[People that actually write this stuff / fine-tune it can probably word it better, but I think this is a healthy suggestion to better make... Permits and not being looted of all your shit, a more fun experience overall]

- From the Guy Who Keeps Looting Contraband / Maint Loot that wasn't declared,

Edited by Lurapa

Contraband is contraband for a reason. If you don't want to get into trouble for having it, don't get caught. Don't make yourself stand out that security will want to search you. 

Contraband should be contraband.

You want to keep it? You carry the heat. You get caught? You serve the time.
I never ask for permits; just keep what I want and turn in what I don't want. That's what you're supposed to do with contraband. Not jumping through loops while making sick backflips to legally break the law.

Security using contraband is iffy, too. It's already the most legally privileged department on the station and they still feel like the Space Law should allow them even more freedom.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use