Make a Service QM

Calecute

Service roles frequently are left abandoned due to AWL or dead personnel, and service is one of the worse departments for that to happen, because it has a high % of one slot jobs. Service personnel also frequently need some guidance regarding mechanics. While they are nominally under HoP, it can't step in in case of need, nor he can give guidance, because of other duties, and job so different that he frequently doesn’t have the knowledge himself.

Service department is alone in the station as a department without senior personnel to guide and step in in case of need. 

More fluffywise, Service QM could also be the Ships Master of Ceremony, organizing events when appropriate, and receiving VIP guests, to make sure they are comfortable, have some nice food and drinks, and are provided adequate entertainment by Mime and Clown, and some interesting spiritual and intellectual conversations by Chaplain and Librarian.

I think this would really make the server better, but of course it would require some coding, the job itself should be no problem, but service would need a remap. Can't do the job myself, posting here to check if someone with more maping knowledge likes the idea and takes on the project, and to check if the other players and staff support the idea. 

We would have no working kitchen less often and that would lead to more staff interaction with kitchen instead of just drinking chocolate (Do note that Necaladun puts removing food vending machines as "maybe" in his wishlist, this would need food to be more reliable supplied); we also would have no one cleaning the station less often; noob people in services would have someone to teach theirs jobs, and that would make their learning experience easier. Someone to coordinate service would lead to more interactions between the service department, as it is now, service radio is almost never used. It would also lead to easier interactions between departments and service, because now you have someone responsible to bug. If botany is ignoring science, they can bug service QM for plants. If cap or someone wants a special meal, he can bug service QM for it. If there's a disease spreading with bar cure, CMO can ask him to distribute the cure, instead of station relying on breaking into bar, or forming huge lines while the clueless barkeep doesn't know why all the sudden everyone is asking for orange juice.

As I said, service roles are the only ones without backup. If you need food and got no chef you're toast. If you need drinks and has no barkeep, you'll need to graytide in. If you want a ceremony for a dead friend and has no chaplain you out of luck, he'll rot in morgue instead. If your workstation is a mess and station have no janitor, it's gonna stay that way. No one's invested in keeping service department working, so it frequently does not work at all. I think in this case that if the job is important enough to be given a slot it's probably important enough to have senior staff as back up, and that's especially true for cook. 

On a more personal note, as barkeep I find it appalling that my calls to botany to plant and send me sugarcane, or to chef to give me ice-cream goes unheard on service radio. I always must leave the bar and go ask personally, opening the bar to all kinds of greytidery, also if we got no chef, no deal. Pretty sure chef has the same problems if he wants to serve things with drinks. Service would be way better with someone to coordinate it.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use