Karma issues when switching byond accounts.

deathhippy

Admin(s) Key:Kyet
Your ckey (Byond username): DeathHippy 
Your Discord name (if applicable):

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 1/3/2019

Nature of complaint: Karma transfer request due to changing accounts when asked to by admin

Brief description Was asked to switch to a new byond account, previously asked if i did this would my karma transfer, was told yes. Now it seems no.

Full description of events: I was asked to switch byond accounts because my previous had a real life person as the name. I asked at a previous time if they could change it for me they said no but i can make a new account. I asked if playtime would transfer, the admin replied no but we can transfer karma. Today I was asked to switch the account and I did, but was told you could not transfer the karma. If anyone could leave feedback and let me know what the case is. Thank you

I asked you to change your account name because it was "George H. W. Bush" aka "georgehwbush" which directly contravenes our rules, specifically the "We hold the right to deem a Ckey inappropriate to the server and can ask you to make a separate account to log in with. Examples of inappropriateness include, but are not limited to, excessive vulgar language, bigotry or references to real life celebrities;" rule (emphasis mine). There are few 'real life celebrities' more well known than US presidents. If this rule applies to any ckey, it applies to yours.

When you asked to transfer your karma to your new account, I said no, because:

• I am not able to do it. Only a headmin can do it, and it requires manual fiddling on their part. I don't want to be asking a headmin to do manual database fiddling without a very good reason.

• Your old account in particular was effectively blocked for violating our naming rules. Transferring your stuff to a new account would effectively let you get away with having used the old rule-violating name with no lasting consequences. As such, if we were known to have a policy of doing this, it would reduce the incentives for players to comply with our naming standards, since players could just continue using any name, even if they knew it violated our rules, until they were asked to change it, safe in the knowledge that they would lose nothing when it was eventually changed. For our account naming rules to have any deterrent force, there has to be some consequence for breaking them. If there is no force behind the rule, then nobody has an incentive to obey it.

• You have previous incidents on file, including one specifically related to your character name. I figured you'd either chosen not to read the rules, or read them but chosen to ignore the part about inappropriate ckeys until we brought it up with you. In retrospect, perhaps you simply assumed that your ckey was okay because none of the previous admins who messaged you brought it up.

I've asked a headmin to look at this matter. They'll decide whether your karma gets transferred or not.

Edited by tzo

Hey there, sorry for the delay @eliotb23

It appears your new account has to be given at least 1 karma before I can add any more. Please ahelp when you next get on line, and ask them to check your notes, I've added one telling the admins what to do to get that fixed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use