The Circus

Biffthegreat

The Circus is in town!

I'd like to note beforehand that I'd be happy to try and develop some of the code for this myself but I'm just running some ideas past people to see if this is the sort of thing or things that are of interes (because there's no point doing that work if its of no interest).

So this post will contain a number of ideas some of which are probably rubbish and all of which could be improved.

Why?

It'd be nice for there to be more active role play jobs and would give people something to do or interact with when the station is busy. These sillinesses would help keep crew entertained rather than causing trouble, increase interactive roleplay. 

New Role

Fortune Teller
Another goof-off role akin to the barber of no real use to the station. To add to role play and make crew laugh. Wander around with useless crystal ball, lucky heather, "healing crystals", a lucky Tajara foot and some Spacestation Themed "Tarot cards".

Purpose: waste karma, make bad predictions, tell the captain he has a curse and so on. "solve" mysteries and murders by asking the crystal ball.

image.thumb.png.5450b7bbb25f41b034e56ce727c04708.png

Hypnotist
Another goof-off role akin to the barber of no real use to the station. Engage in constructive roleplay and make dialogue on station more entertaining. Try to persuade the psychologist you can cure people. 

Purpose: waste karma, make try to persuade people to cluck like a chicken. Wave a monacle. 

image.png.8f4faab6ef73f1cae1e774131d31a5c6.png

One Man Band
Another goof-off role akin to the barber of no real use to the station. keep the crew musically entertained.

Purpose: waste karma, play all the instruments at once. Especially the drum on your back.

image.png.4126af04a28c1fac3cc9e778e6ddaabb.png

Contortionist

Another goof-off role akin to the barber of no real use to the station. 

The jumpsuit already exists but it would probably be gamey or something. Would need some sort of handicap or something.

image.thumb.png.87058f939af9c6cb903895c0952d081a.png

Mapping

Combine mime and clown office into a singular circus office with more equipment to encourage actual japes and jokes not just slip-and-shit nonsense.

Items

Cardboard, Snap pops, carboard tubes to a combined office. Musical instruments - accordian especially.

Human Cannon 
For the clown. Helmet advised.
Works best when emagged.

Unicycle
For any personnel

A Hoop
Persuade crew to flip through it. Or flip through it yourself.

Magic Set
A briefcase with a flower cane, a top hat that you can put items in. Hankercheifs you can attach as accessories.

A Giant Fake Cake
Deliver to the bridge and burst out of this with a honk (not an esword).

Monkey Cubes
Needs no explanation

A Fake Poo
Needs no explanation

Do not emag

Itching Powder Bottle
For when you have an itch that you just can't scratch

A copy of Atlas Shrugged
Needs no explanation

Custard Pies

Needs no explanation

A fake cluwne costume

Because that couldn't go wrong ever, could it?

I decided to suggest some of these ideas which I'll be happy to do the work for if people like because (1) I'm getting too much Karma and nothing to spend it on (2) most clowns and mimes are shit (3) sometimes I join a round and have to play something unFUNNY and (4) honk

• Like 5

The fortune teller would be pretty amazing. Make it so using the ball acts as a prayer and allows the admins/gods to give an answer to whatever the teller asks the ball. If no answer is given then they can always come up with something! The hypnotist would be pretty awesome as well, nice RP job that can work alongside the psychiatrist Could even make a traitor specific item for them, a pocket watch/monocle that can actually hypnotize people!. 

I'm too boring to be much of a good hypnotist/fortune-teller myself, but yes, these would be pretty hilarious roles to see. I also like the idea of merging the clown/mime office into a larger circus office; you could also expand it into that otherwise-unused hallway north of the Clown/Mime office and southwest of the Courtroom if you needed enough space for the different characters. Anyway, my thoughts on the individual characters:

1. Fortune-teller: Absolute gold. Lots of opportunities for silly shenanigans all the way through the round, and routes for different types of gameplay for the fortune-teller (playing it straight and trying to get actionable intel with well-worded prayers, leading people astray with terrible fortune-telling, or just going full slapstick and making up loads of silly prophecies involving the Captain and a couple cans of lube).

2. Hypnotist: P. much the same as above. You could either become psychologist part-II with actual Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, or go the full chicken route.

3. One Man Band: I like it, but there are some issues relative to the other characters. For one, the character's gear makes him a prime target for greytiders to attack and steal; he'll need some sort of skill or ID-locking system to keep his kit from getting jacked. Secondly, he'll be a target role for greytiders, since the griefing opportunities are pretty self-evident. Finally, there's plenty of other musical instruments already on-station; you may need to do quite a bit of work to make the One-Man Band clearly distinct from the other roles

4. Entertainer gear: the Human Cannon sounds p. hilarious, as does the unicycle and the fake cake. I'm a bit worried about the fake poo, though, as that sounds like it's got a lot of unfortunate greytide-griefing opportunities.

That all being said, I think the basic idea is pretty awesome. Here's a couple suggestions for additional roles and how to organize 'em:

A. The 'Entertainer' position: the Clown and Mime will probably get grandfathered in here, but adding another four more roles (or more, depending on coder stamina&inspiration) could get a bit ridiculous. Therefore, I'd suggest making a catch-all 'Entertainer' role which you can apply for, with a separate option in the menu to select your preferred position you'd want. This might end up being too difficult to code, but if it's feasible, I'd like some method of cutting the number of roles down to a manageable size.

B. Animal Tamer: I'd argue the key part of any of these new roles is what specific thing they can do which elevates them above the status of a greytider with a funny name. The Barber's a p. iffy role, for instance, because anyone can change their appearance with access to a mirror at any time. Meanwhile, the Clown and Mime have both gear, tricks, and a general schtick which set them apart from any rando Civilian. Therefore, I'd suggest an 'Animal Tamer' role who starts with the ability to issue simple animal mobs simple commands. 'Go,' 'Stay,' etc. are all in their lexicon, and they'll be able to communicate with player-run animal mobs without needing a Voice Recorder. And of course, their special Syndie kit would be a Guide to Advanced Animal Training or the like, which teaches them the ability to issue 'Maul,' Stun,' and/or 'Kill' commands. Additional roles in this same vein could be fire-twirling/swallowing, juggling, and so on.

One thing came to mind, which is to remove the mime and clown and replace them with an entertainer role with 2+ slots, with alttitles.

1 hour ago, Bxil said:

One thing came to mind, which is to remove the mime and clown and replace them with an entertainer role with 2+ slots, with alttitles.

Be careful, you can be lynched only for saying words "remove" and "clown" in one sentence 

6 minutes ago, McRamon said:

Be careful, you can be lynched only for saying words "remove" and "clown" in one sentence  

Distant honks

No, you misunderstand. Now you could have more clowns than one without the HOP being banned!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use