Cargo.

ID404NotFound

I dislike when people build their own autolathe to bypass cargo. I know "paperwork cargo" is a bitch, and I could understand wanting to bypass that, but instead automatically doing it is a little shitty to me. Though I wish cargo could be redesigned to make it into a fun system. Like instead, the requisition consoles were actually used, and instead it had a "bounty" system, where a cargo tech stamps that they'll take the order, and fulfills it, either with shipping, or delivery, based on circumstances, maybe even having a point system like mining does, though unsure if it would be anything beyond fluff "look at how many points I have". if the system was quick and slick, hopefully people would like it, and cargo would be appreciated, instead of treated like mulebots. Maybe any big cargo players could give some input on what they think, if there's a way to make cargo easier to work with other departments, instead of feeling like a hurdle that isn't worth jumping over?

I feel the opposite, that Cargo really shouldn't revolve around the autolathe at all. Cargo in my opinion is about mining and the cargo shuttle. Those are things that are completely unique to cargo, and therefore the things that should be developed.  An autolathe isn't rare or special and shouldn't be, and adding a process to giving someone a flashlight or station bounced radio is just really silly to me. 

• Like 1

The biggest problem with this proposal is that unlike mining, Cargo has a very finite amount of orders, and only one person can take them at a time. Adding an incentive to be the one to take orders sounds like a recipe for infighting and generally slowing down cargo more.

People building their own autolathes is generally a good thing, as that means less people waiting in line and not needing to be sitting at the front desk 24/7 to give an engineer another airlock board.

The shuttle console has plenty to order and a lot of different items that are useful depending on the situation, even if others don't realize it. As a quartermaster, i'm usually occupied ordering crates until 1:15:00 in, with the exception of extended rounds.

I used to play a sassy witch-hat wearing cargo vox. It was pretty much my main thing for a long time. While you may not be able to force other people to play the way you want you can change how you play. There are a few things you as a cargo tech/quartermaster can do to make your job more interesting and more enjoyable/streamlined.

The Filing Cabinet is your friend:

Create folders for each department and store them in the filing cabinet. (store approved orders in the folder of the department that ordered them)

Create one folder for declined requests and throw all the declined ones in it.

You have a warehouse. Use it.:

Keep emergency supplies and commonly requested supplies on hand in the warehouse. It'll cut down on wait times if you have the points to spare on stocking it.

Restock Tool Storages/Vending Machines:

Your job is to keep the station well-supplied after all.

Pay attention to comms aka Be Proactive instead of Reactive:

You don't have to wait for someone to order something. If you hear there's vamps maybe order some extra bloodbags for medical. If there's a lot of injury and not many medical staff then more first aid kits are probably a good idea. Take initiative and order things before everything is exploding. You can also periodically contact the heads of departments and ask if they require any crates. Often some departments are too busy to come order things but they may be short of supplies. Initiate the contact with departments. :p

Edited by FoS
  • Like 2

I'd be in favor of a bounty system for Cargo. Every 10-20 minutes Cargo gets a CC request or third party trader wants a specific item that may or may not be on the station. The QM/Cargo Office console will kick out a sheet with the request with the following information:

(Station) Time of the Request.

Who is requesting it (Anything from CC, one of the Syndicate companies, or any third party trader)

What they want (Item name specifically)

How much of it they want.

How much the bounty reward of supply points or items that will be on the next cargo shuttle arriving at the station will contain.

QM and Cargo would have to decide if its worth sending things out, so a request for 5 laser rifles in return for 100 points might not be worth it, but a package of 15 warm donk pockets for 8 pairs of magboots might be. High Priority requests should be announced to the entire station, but otherwise a cargo notice should just be pinged with directions to seek out the request form in their office for more details.

This would also open the door for raiders or pirates hoping to blackmail and extort the station, demanding random items or even piles of cash equaling up to a certain value, and if the request is not fulfilled they either send a boarding crew to take what they can or fire upon specific parts of the station (I.E. export 50 gold bars with no supply cost or pirates will fire upon escape, roughly the equivalent of 10 meteors smashing into shuttle dock, and so on. Pirates could be NPCs that just go nuts or mid round antags who's ship clamps onto a random external access point and gives the players a message they have 300 seconds to bring as much loot back to the pod and escape or fail the raid.)

Given that many players in cargo try to operate a trading post wanting money or items in exchange for what is requested, this would at least give assistants and other players wanting to get something from cargo, while also giving the techs something to do when the departments become self sufficient.

Alternatively, the ability for Cargo to order 'services' for the station would be neat. A celebrity or friendly non-crew (admin spawned, essentially) paying a visit or helping about the station, or even the ability to pay for a Custodial Response Team or similar non-combat related support roles or borgs could be an interesting use of surplus points. (Though come to think of it, using Cargo Points to order ERTs and being able to spend extra points to request additional member slots or getting them better starting gear would also be neat.)

Edited by davidchan

While this seems like an amazing idea and would liven up most of the cargo aspect, I don't think the "bounty system" would work with basic cargo points, maybe another point value sort of like a CC special monetary point that can be spent on special crates for any department, like a crate of advanced magboots, or advanced laser rifles, or other really expensive things that take almost an entire round to achieve.

Now it makes no sense to send 15 warm donk pockets for these points instead it could be like "send 3 tech disks for 10 CC points" "Complete station Goal for 100 CC points" or, "Successfully log and deliver 5 crates for 50 points" so it wouldn't be some sort of boring grind to get 15 donk pockets, but like the use of other departments help, or in the case of that last one make paperwork worth it.

The examples given were just to set the tone. The idea being that someone wants those items, and needs them quickly so they will compensate for them well. "A man will pay $2 dollars for a $1 item he needs now", of course the deal should not always be a good deal, and the entire point of the suggestion was to get things exported by cargo they normally wouldn't. Air Canisters, uniforms, circuits, plants, body parts, ect...

And as also noted, this deals should have a short expiration date. Cargo needs to move fast to take advantage of them if they want the reward, and not all of them should be feasible as the lore wise the request would have been sent to all stations or vessels in the area, not just the Cyberaid.

Edited by davidchan

4 hours ago, FoS said:

The Filing Cabinet is your friend:

Create folders for each department and store them in the filing cabinet. (store approved orders in the folder of the department that ordered them)

Create one folder for declined requests and throw all the declined ones in it.

You have a warehouse. Use it.:

Keep emergency supplies and commonly requested supplies on hand in the warehouse. It'll cut down on wait times if you have the points to spare on stocking it.

Restock Tool Storages/Vending Machines:

Your job is to keep the station well-supplied after all.

These are great ideas FoS. While I rarely play cargo, apart from being proactive I never really knew what to do... These things seem to spice it up, I'll try them. Thank you!

Edited by Miraviel
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use