Make mining more challenging and rewarding

Landerlow

Hello. I know this isn't the first thread about this, and probably not the last, but I just want to bring this to people's attention again.

First of all, let me say I enjoy mining and I was happy a new material was added recently. However, it would be nice if the there was more danger to be faced and possibly, better rewards for overcoming dangerous situations.

The asteroid is supposed to be a dangerous place, with a few monsters. Now, on the west part of the asteroid (the 'dangerous' part) there's a part where there are signs which say 'XENOS'.  ... except I've never seen a xeno on the asteroid. As for the other monsters, once you killed your first Goliath and got a plate on your armor, it gets easier. Then you get your third plate of armor at some point, and you're a rock.

When it comes to rewards: They're quite disappointing. The crates on the asteroid barely contain anything else than bluespace/cryostatis beakers. I'm STILL waiting to have my first-ever demon heart.

Suggestion?: Increase the amount of hostile creatures on the 'dangerous' part of the asteroid significantly, perhaps also increase the variety/types of creatures to be found there.

As for the rewards: Perhaps some cool items can be found on the asteroid? On extended rounds, perhaps someone could find grave dust there .... (For those that don't know, it turns you into a vampire if you 'use' it, if I remember the code correctly). 

Thoughts/additions/criticism, please? 

• Like 1

Other servers have a different mining outpost called "Lavaland" which might fit what you want. The enemies are - for all intents and purposes - the same, but new stuff like lava and chasms, the necropolis tentacle, and megafauna. The tentacles give you chests full of loot and megafauna are boss fights with cool stuff at the end. you can see the wiki page of the server i play on occasionally here.

https://wiki.oraclestation.com/wiki/Shaft_Miner 

I don't expect the mining area to change, that sounds like a lot of coding, but i thought you would like to know.

Station starves often for minerals because noone can be arsed to mine. And if people mine its mostly people with low combat experience who die to it.

People with combat experience find the asteroid boring and thus dont bother signing up for mining from what I have seen. Heck being not challenging and not rewarding is the reason why I dont do mining. Virology got the entire "create your god virus". Genetics has powers. Science has mechsuits, guns and shit you hand out to people. Sec has the entire deal of catching antags. Command feels rewarding for managing a crisis. Cargo for managing supply points in a good way. Mining for bringing ores... but usually you get bored by it pretty much because its so repetitive. You have your other miners which you can interact with. It is usually pretty nice. But that you can get with other jobs aswell for a far bigger stimulus. Like if I want to feel useful I go science and upgrade stuff. Or do Botany and do super crops that make chemistry cry (or actually cooperate and make cureall pills). Or be chef and be a not shit chef for once. Or be a detective and state very obvious things and deductions. But mining on the asteroid is stale... I totally agree. If there was a challenge or a reason to do this other than "Well every other department needs ores" I would totally do it. Heck even the loot you can find is not guarded and is pretty weak compared to what you can find on Lavaland. You can find a legit Lightgeist on Lavaland, make it sentient and gift it to the paramedic who would be so damn thankfull to have the pet. You could farm legions for legion souls and stabilize them and give them to people as an emergency self restoration. On Asteroid Hivelords are finite. On Lavaland you can find abductor gear (rarely) and can give it to science for analysis. You can find gimmicky toys like the blue/red cube that teleports you and anyone you have a grab on to the other cube. You find Paradox Bags that share contents. You have a risk of Ashwalkers... If the Asteroid had stuff like that alot more people would be willing to mine. And not just the same old bunch. Kudos to the miners we have and actually do their job for longer than 30-60 minutes. I have very deep respect for you. 

I really wish Paradise Station had Lavaland...

Edited by EldritchSigma
  • Thanks 4

• 8 months later...

I think the hostile aliens should be randomly dispersed around the asteroid. This way, you cannot use knowledge for previous rounds to avoid all aliens. Every time you venture out, you will peaking corners hoping not to run into one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use