New to Space Station 13, can I play with you guys? :-)

Beanbag Ninja

Hello

I tried the game for about 5 minutes a couple of years ago, and immediately wrote it off as old-fashioned, clunky and boring. However, I recently re-discovered it, and played my first game last night, which was quite fun, if a little confusing.

I'm interested in the role-playing side, and so I hope I can fit in on your server. Unfortunately I still don't know what I'm doing - how the jobs work, the chain of command, etc (I'll check the wiki). What can a newbie do on your server? Can I shadow someone experienced to learn a job?

I quickly wrote up my experience from last night, so you can see the sort of gameplay I enjoy:

Spoiler

I started as a lowly Assistant. Not having any idea how to do anything, I spent a few minutes running around, picking things up and putting them down. I also found the fart button, which was most amusing.

In my travels, I bumped into the station's Captain, who had clearly been drinking.

"Hello Captain"
"Ehhh, hulleeew Jemes" (My name was James in the game) "yuu look-a leke a fine hard-werkung man, du yoo went a jurb?"

And so I was promoted to Captain's Bodyguard, and was issued with the required helmet, gas mask, body armour and stun gun, and given my first paycheck.

"Yu must-a watch my beck, Jermes! I'm coonting on yu!"
"Yes Sir!"

The Captain then drunkenly staggered around the station, performing his various duties, while I followed, watching his back. I defended our tipsy Captain against an aggressive saxophone-playing clown, but I messed up when the Head of Security decided to try to apprehend me for carrying "contraband" (my stun gun).

As the Captain slurred that I was in fact his bodyguard, the HoS advanced toward me, and I immediately reacted by stunning him. Well this didn't go down too well, and when the HoS recovered, I was arrested and dragged to the brig.

Luckily, the Captain persuaded Security to release me and re-issue me with a gun, and I continued my assignment.

Eventually, the singularity engine lost containment, and a black hole threatened to destroy the station. The situation deteriorated as hull breaches and chemical spills spread throughout the station, and the Captain turned to me, and slurred:

"Well, Jermes, you are-a prermooted - you're in cummand now, Congrashulayshuns! Bork bork bork." He handed me his ID card, clothes, hat and armour.
"No Captain! I don't know how to run a space station"
"Don't a-worry, Jermes! Neither doo I!"

And with that, the ex-Captain scurried away to the bar to have a final drink and go down with his station, as the Emergency Shuttle arrived, and the rest of us evacuated, leaving me thoroughly confused.

• Like 1

I'd say...cargo, engineering, or medbay. Let your fellow associates know that you are new and they'll most likely be glad to assist you in learning.

Janitor is never a bad place to start for the sake of wandering around the station getting a feel for things.

Also, how the hell did you manage to become the captains bodyguard so easily? And with that also the captain? What's a chain of command? ?

Either way...welcome aboard!

Edited by ZN23X

32 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

I'd say...cargo, engineering, or medbay. Let your fellow associates know that you are new and they'll most likely be glad to assist you in learning.

Janitor is never a bad place to start for the sake of wandering around the station getting a feel for things.

Also, how the hell did you manage to become the captains bodyguard so easily? And with that also the captain? What's a chain of command? ?

Either way...welcome aboard!

I'm very interested in engineering, so it would be good to start there. I'm reading the Wiki to brush up on the game, but can I just join the server any time and try to play along? I don't want to be a nuisance to other players.

Why it was my charming personality and loyalty, of course (and perhaps the fact that the Captain had been drinking rum all shift). I like to think he saw Command potential in me, but in reality I think I was just the closest employee to him a the time.

16 minutes ago, Beanbag Ninja said:

I'm very interested in engineering, so it would be good to start there. I'm reading the Wiki to brush up on the game, but can I just join the server any time and try to play along? I don't want to be a nuisance to other players.

Yes, you can.  A lot of people join with very little or no knowledge about specific jobs.  Just let everyone know you are new.  Generally if you listen  and are willing to learn, that's enough.  Everyone has to learn sometime.

The only thing you should avoid is command roles.  Those should only be taken if you have experience.  The rest you can muddle through with the wiki.

Yea the reason I suggested the department's that I did is cuz, even if you habe no clue what you are doing, there are other people on the department who can take care of the important things. If the round isn't too hectic someone will also be able to teach you. Again just let your co-workers KNOW that you are new.

Sounds like you had one hell of a first time experience. As time goes on and you gain a better understanding of how the station functions you'll see how bizarre that first experience really was lol

Edited by ZN23X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use