Admin Complaint - Kyet

Footman

Admin Key: Kyet

Your Discord name (if applicable): Footman/Mirvah

Complaint:

PM from-Game AdminKyet: please stop spamming chat

PM to-Kyet: Sure. As soon as security pays attention to the situation and does their job.

PM from-Game AdminKyet: No, you will stop spamming NOW, because you were told to by an admin.

I had been abducted, cuffed, and tape gagged by the clown for a good while. Security had not helped, so I started posting long messages to try and get their attention.

Game Admin Kyet sent me a message telling me to stop. I do not feel like he payed any attention to the situation. He demanded compliance in a harsh, aggressive, disrespectful manner. There was no need for this kind of conduct and I believe it is worthy of reporting.

Edited by Footman

Footman's character was tapegagged in front of bridge. In order to get out of it, they were using lines like this to try to get attention:

[22:52:37]SAY: Mirvah Sanu'dra/Footman04 : phmphmmphmmphphmmmmm

[22:52:35]SAY: Mirvah Sanu'dra/Footman04 : mphmphmmmmphmphmmm

[22:52:34]SAY: Mirvah Sanu'dra/Footman04 : mphphmmphphmmmmmphphmmm

[22:52:32]SAY: Mirvah Sanu'dra/Footman04 : mphphmmmmphmmphmphphmmmm

[22:52:30]SAY: Mirvah Sanu'dra/Footman04 : mphmmphmmmphphmmmmmmmmm

[22:52:28]SAY: Mirvah Sanu'dra/Footman04 : mmphphmmmmphphmmmmphmph

Someone (a ghost) ahelped them for spamming chat.

Initially I did not do anything about it, because it was fairly obvious that they were trying to say something, but were stopped by the tape.

It looked like they were just trying to get attention and help, rather than actually spam in a disruptive fashion. So, I let it go.

After a little bit, though, they started using much longer lines that filled a great deal of the chat box, like this:

[22:53:09]SAY: Mirvah Sanu'dra/Footman04 : mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

These sort of lines went beyond merely trying to get attention, and into "nobody else can chat until someone else does as I demand" territory.

Since they were standing in front of the bridge at the time, this was interfering with everyone else's ability to chat in the area, by forcing the chat window to scroll.

So, at this point, I messaged them, asking them to stop:

[22:54:22]ADMIN: PM: Kyet/(Colin Black)->Footman04/(Mirvah Sanu'dra): please stop spamming chat

I was expecting a response of "sure", a "sorry, frustrated that nobody is freeing me", or simply an "OK'. Any of those would have been fine.

Instead, what I got back was this:

[22:54:42]ADMIN: PM: Footman04/(Mirvah Sanu'dra)->Kyet/(Colin Black): Sure. As soon as security pays attention to the situation and does their job.

I read this as: "no, I'm not going to follow the admin's instructions, I'm going to continue spamming chat until I get what I want".

That's not an acceptable answer, in my book.

As such, I responded with:

[22:54:59]ADMIN: PM: Kyet/(Colin Black)->Footman04/(Mirvah Sanu'dra): No, you will stop spamming NOW, because you were told to by an admin.

In return, I got:

[22:55:29]ADMIN: PM: Footman04/(Mirvah Sanu'dra)->Kyet/(Colin Black): Excuse me, sir, there's no need to get aggressive.

I did not further reply to this, as they'd stopped spamming at this point, which was all the original request was for.

They did not get any ban, or even a note, for this. I considered it resolved when they stopped spamming.

My first request was polite ("please stop spamming chat"). It was only when that was rebuffed that I used the "you will stop spamming chat NOW" approach.

Sure, I could have been less forceful, but equally, given that he just stated he wasn't going to follow my polite request, I felt some force was necessary, or he'd ignore my follow-up also.

• Like 1

If an admin tells you to stop spamming, you stop spamming. You don't get to make conditions on this. The rules are pretty clear here.

Kyet should not have been less forceful. If anything, he should have banned you as soon as you refused to comply. If you're spamming, you're breaking rules. If you get told to stop breaking rules, you do it. No ifs, not buts, no anything else. 

Complaint is without merit.

12 hours ago, necaladun said:

If an admin tells you to stop spamming, you stop spamming. You don't get to make conditions on this. The rules are pretty clear here.

Kyet should not have been less forceful. If anything, he should have banned you as soon as you refused to comply. If you're spamming, you're breaking rules. If you get told to stop breaking rules, you do it. No ifs, not buts, no anything else. 

Complaint is without merit.

I understand your viewpoint. I believe that this kind of communication is a two way street and that mutual understanding of eachother's viewpoint is required to ensure an amicable outcome between both parties. In the future, I would suggest that anyone responsible for player contact understand that whoever they're communicating with is likely already frustrated with the situation and should attempt to de escalate the situation instead of escalating it. Demanding that someone comply with you without taking into consideration the nuances of the situation could be seen as abrasive and unprofessional, as it does nothing to calm any tensions present.

Thank you for at least giving this some attention.

Edited by Footman
  • Salt 1

7 hours ago, Footman said:

anyone responsible for player contact understand that whoever they're communicating with is likely already frustrated with the situation and should attempt to de escalate the situation instead of escalating it. Demanding that someone comply with you without taking into consideration the nuances of the situation could be seen as abrasive and unprofessional, as it does nothing to calm any tensions present.

After you were ahelped, I let your initial messages slide. I realized you were just frustrated and trying to get attention. It was only when you started filling the chat box and messing with other peoples' ability to chat on the bridge that I bwoinked you. Prior to that, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt as I knew you were frustrated. Even when I did message you, it was a simple "please stop spamming chat".

After you replied, well, suffice it to say that a reply like that would normally get you banned. But again, I realized you were frustrated, so I tried to make it clear it was an order, not a request, and that failure to comply was unacceptable. The only other option would have been banning you, but I chose the lesser force approach.

In short: I was already giving you a fair chunk of leeway because I knew you were frustrated. But there is a limit to the amount of leeway I, or any other admin, can give you. When you cross the line into rejecting or placing conditions on your obeying an admin's request, you're asking us to ban you. You're lucky all you got was a sternly worded order, and weren't banned on the spot for refusal to comply.

Admins don't like escalating situations any more than you do, but if an admin tells you to stop doing something, you must stop doing it immediately. No excuses accepted. No, concerns about "nuance" aren't acceptable as an excuse either. The admin concerned is probably already aware of them. Even if not, your duty is to first immediately stop what you are doing, and then, after you have stopped, you can make your case. It is never appropriate to refuse to stop doing something when an admin tells you to, no matter what you think of the situation. Admins do try to use a minimal force approach, but this doesn't mean we use the least force possible, it means we use the least force that still gets the job done, and if you show us that a certain strategy (like a polite request) won't work on you, you necessitate us using a more forceful approach. Do not blame an admin for using a more forceful approach when you've just shown them that a lesser-force one won't work on you.

• Like 1

• Kyet locked and unlocked this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use