What makes for a good HoS?

Streaky Haddock

What makes for a good Head of Security? Should they attend calls, or leave that to their officers? Do they hang in the back making sure their officers are alive and competant? Is it their job to be the last officer standing to call for an ERT, or should they be getting stuck in to prevent it from getting to that stage?

Is robustness a requirement or just helpful?

• stunbaton 1

Things a HoS should do:

• Remind their officers to max sensors.
  • Encourage their officers to patrol with a buddy, so they don't die horribly. In some cases (vamps/slings) this is pretty much a requirement if you want to live.
  • Help swipe to raise the code to red when needed. Also tell the Captain when the code needs to be changed.
  • Ensure lethals are distributed at the correct time. Regardless of the code, you don't want to be taking on poison spiders with stunbatons.
  • Handle high-profile prisoners, like heads, or changelings.
  • Ensure SOP and Space Law are upheld in their department.
  • Identify, and demote, officers who are a liability.
  • In the absence of a magistrate, decide when/if trials should be held. (usually, NO)
  • Keep an eye on the Warden, ensuring that they mostly stay in the brig, don't deploy flashers on green, etc.
  • Keep the rest of Command informed about important events, like hostile agents, people endangering the station, etc. Also be ready to stop people for demotions if the other heads ask for it.
  • Make sure the records are up-to-date. Warden can do this. But they don't always do it.
  • Ensure the HoP isn't appointing people to Security without the HoS' permission.
  • Chew out the Captain if they insist on running through maint alone.
  • Attend to sec emergencies in areas that normal Sec officers cannot access.
  • Remember that you AREN'T just a better-equipped officer. You're leading a team. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty, but most of your value is as a manager and member of Command, rather than an extra front-line grunt.
  • Like 1
  • stunbaton 1

I'll add, tho this may be a no no for certain players. Know when to turn it up and when to take it easy. Sometimes the antags are clearly inexperienced or having a rough round and you don't need to go all out to deal with them. Have the awareness to be play a bit lighter when necessary, for the sake of the round. Believe it or not, sometimes if you don't go balls to the walls it makes the round better.

Edited by ZN23X
  • stunbaton 1

An important detail that I look for in HoS's is how present they are. Do I know where the HoS is, are they communicating with the team, can I expect an answer back from them in a timely manner, are they keeping the crew informed, what kind of announcements are they making, are they around for when high-level criminals are brought in, ect. Even if the HoS can't preform all of their duties, if I can get a hold of the HoS, then they're fine in my book.

• stunbaton 1

1. If you are a silent HOS, you deserve to get eaten by your pet spider. 80% of your team's mindset comes from you being seen and heard. That goes both ways though, so if they see and hear you being clueless, you'll be ignored/deposed super fast. Do not be the HOS who disappears into the tunnels alone.

2.Do not rely on your robustness alone. The danger you should pose to criminal scum on the station is not that of one man in an armored coat with some extra gear, it should be that of a cool-headed commander with a well coordinated team of ruthlessly organized and prepared mercenaries.

Robustness is a requirement if you take a more hands-on, aggressive playstyle, but a few months playtime otherwise will suffice.

3.Be prepared. Make sure your people are prepared. By this, I don't mean hoard chems, implants, and gear, or any other form of powergaming, but be ready for whatever comes at you. If you and all your contractors don't have maxed sensors, a crowbar, fire extinguisher, radio, and extra cuffs on hand at all times, you're wrong.

And get scanned for cloning.

4.Don't rely on electrode-stuns. Disablers and AOE stuns will give you a lot more bang for your buck, and will deplete less quickly. Don't let your team forget that pepperspray and flashes, while useless against you, are quite powerful against the unprepared suspect.

5.Use your warden effectively. Make him keep records up to date, manage implants, and generally keep things from piling up on you while you're away dealing with things.

6. Last but not least, use your brain whenever you can, plan, think, strategize, observe- but failing all that go with your gut.

Now get out there and score some valids.

• stunbaton 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use