Gateway mission - Parallel Universe Cyberiad

alexpkeaton

This would take some doing.  In a similar vein to Spark's suggestion of an "old Cyberiad" in disrepair through the gateway, what about having two identical Cyberiads connected by a Gateway.  Better yet, jobs (and antags?) would roll twice.  Two Captains, two CMOs, etc.  This would have to be done in super high pop.  For coding purposes, one set of players would really be selected to be gateway players but not know it.  

Not sure how to deal with mining/other z-levels, but the more it is possible to make the stations identical, the better.  The goal would be for players to realize in the course of the round that they actually have counterparts through the gateway.  

Perhaps send a ridiculously OP nuke squad late round after shift change is announced onto one Cyberiad and force them to evac into the gateway.

It's a fun thought experiment, I doubt it could ever be coded.  I would love for someone to prove me wrong on that count, however.

Bluntly... this is impractical.

You'd need two sets of everything.

And I'm not just talking about physical things.

You'd need two crew manifests. Two sets of sec records. Two sets of priority announce channels. Two fax networks. Copies of every radio channel. Two sets of emergency shuttles. Etc.

In short, it would require taking almost every functional system on station, duplicating it, and then making sure the duplicates don't interact with each other.

That is a LOT of work.

Now, a separate Cyberiad where only material things are duplicated... and everyone starts off dead.... murdered by something horrible.... like a mirror universe.... that is actually doable.

But making it convincing enough that the second Cyberiad wouldn't be able to tell, within 60 seconds, that they were in a Gateway mission, and not 'real'? That would require an enormous amount of work.

19 minutes ago, Alexkarrrr598 said:

the only way i canthink of to have a workong crew on the secon is using a secondserver andmaking the gateway possibly linkthem 

Can a coder speak to this?  Can the gateway just log someone into the different server and spawn them in front of the gateway?

Still seems like a coding nightmare, but perhaps less so than how I originally imained this.

53 minutes ago, alexpkeaton said:

Can a coder speak to this?  Can the gateway just log someone into the different server and spawn them in front of the gateway?

There's a few ways that can be done, yes. But hosting a second server and syncing it up with the first might actually be even more of a coding nightmare. 

Well you can link the server by a p2p tunnel and just have a the gateway or something send a command to the player to force them to go join the other server and what not, and the need some type of data base for both server to hold data on the players, so if you moving to the other then the other server knows what to give you and on what slots.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use