Add SolGov Marshal to Random Event Line-up

Teyren

Opinion Poll  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the Lore Team pushing towards the addition and increased presence of a neutral faction (SolGov), I had an idea of a Random Event which involves them. Additionally, the event will be triggered at least past the one hour mark. When the event is triggered, there will be a Central Command Announcement that a SolGov Marshal has demanded entry onto the NSS Cyberiad, that they were forced to grant him the request, and will soon arrive upon the Arrivals Shuttle to execute Trans-Solar Law. Ghosts will then receive the pop-up on whether they wish to be a Trans-Solar Marshal, it will then do the usual RNG roll and the lucky ghost will spawn right in the Arrivals Shuttle.

The Marshal receives three random objectives and another objective which they always receive, which usually puts it at odds with the crew and Security. There is also three different kinds of random objectives the Marshal can receive. Note: The Head of Security and Captain are exempt from the Marshal's Objective selection (I think the rest of Command should be open, though that can be up to debate). The SolGov Marshal isn't here to execute Space Law, he's on the station to punish lawbreakers of crimes committed off-station, whether the said individual has actually done the said crime or not.

The first objective always is: Coerce the on-board Security force to comply with the legal punishment of lawbreakers.

The first set of random objectives is: Fine and collect [1500-5000] Space Credits from [Random Crewmember] for the crime of [Littering/Not thanking a Public Official/Failure to comply to planetary dress code/Virtual Harassment of a Stateworker/Loitering/etc.]. (Other mundane random crimes, randomly picked from a list of them).

The second set of random objectives is: Detain and sentence [Random Crewmember] for the crime of [Insulting a Trans-Solar Customs Officer/Spitting on Grass in a public area/Assembling as a non-citizen/Vandalism of State Property/etc.]. (Random list of moderate crimes which SolGov might takes offense to).

The third set of random objectives is: Detain and execute [Random Crewmember] for the crime of [Terrorist Collaboration with [Well-Puppies Humanitarian Foundation/Frontier Rebels/Galactic Gate/etc.]] (the terrorist organization shouldn't be one popularly identified by Nanotrasen i.e. Syndicate), [Desertion from a Valid Forced Conscription Request], [Organizing Assembly as a non-citizen upon State Property], etc. They must be formally executed in public as per Trans-Solar Regulation, indiscriminately shooting them does not count, and is grounds to remove you from office.  (These objectives should always be in the moral grey area, and be less likely to be complied with by Security or anyone else for that matter; in addition the Marshal will never receive two Detain and execute objectives, only up to the amount of one, if he even gets one at all).

With this, they may spawn with these objectives for example:

You are a Trans-Solar Marshal, sent here to punish those running from the law. You're badge and gun does not give you the authority to shoot random non-lawbreakers who do not like you. You are not here to execute Space Law, however, you may assist Security if you believe it will convince Security to comply with the punishment of on-board lawbreakers. Even though you are not here to enforce Space Law, you should not go around committing crimes or trespassing unless in the active pursuit of a Lawbreaker. You cannot sentence a Lawbreaker to more than 15 minutes or less than 5 minutes in the brig, though, the sentence doesn't always have to be brig time and may involve other activities. If you are in doubt whether your alternative punishment is acceptable, use ahelp. You are not to lie regarding any crimes, sentences, or lawbreakers, nor hold back information regarding the crime and sentence from a lawbreaker.

1. Coerce the on-board Security force to comply with the legal punishment of lawbreakers, they are required to by Trans-Solar Law.

2. Fine and collect 2500 Space Credits from Lawbreaker Mark Lewitzz for the crime of Loitering.

3. Detain and sentence Lawbreaker Eugene Parker for the crime of Insulting a Trans-Solar Customs Officer.

4. Detain and sentence Lawbreaker Eekiyatcha for for the crime of Assembling as a non-citizen.

Notes: The SolGov Marshal merely spawns on the Arrival Shuttle, he is not a crewmember, and should not be treated as such by a Crewsimov AI. The objective only states "Detain and sentence", it doesn't say for how long; this opens up the Marshal for creative punishments (as long as it does not break the rules of course).

The SolGov Marshal will spawn with equipment such as: a SolGov Marshal Uniform (will need sprites); a resprited holobadge; a telescopic baton; 1 pair of handcuffs; 1 Enforcer .45 loaded with rubber rounds; 1 .45 magazine (Rubber); 1 .45 magazine (Lethal); a written and CC stamped Weapon Permit; an ID with General Access, the Brig, and a Weapon Permit; Armor, probably in the form a armored hat and jacket akin to the Detective (will need sprites), a pair of black gloves.

Other than creating the required sprites and adding in the requirements for the SolGov Marshal to spawn, using pre-existing weapons like the .45 Enforcer cuts down on time. Additionally, .45 ammo is possible to be printed from an Autolathe (personally rather have their ammo be unable to be replenished on-station), though the Marshal shouldn't have access to Science or Cargo to print them himself. A lot of it will come from sprites and coding it into a Random Event with the conditions for the event to trigger. Also, whether or not anyone thinks this is even a good suggestion. Giving SolGov any effect on the station is something which is only done through Admin Events or Sol Traders (who try to usually try to just trade 20 flashes in exchange for a crate of matter bins, or just get denied and can't land). The list of crimes were made, considering that the Trans-Solar Federation, from what I've read, is supposed to be somewhat Authoritarian, feel free to comment.

EDIT: Only those listed in the objectives as being Lawbreakers are lawbreakers, the Marshal shouldn't be arresting people on station for littering or breaking Trans-Solar Law. Just those listed in the objectives.

Edited by Teyren
Clarifies a bit that only those listed in the objectives are Lawbreakers.

I can see a problem with someone roleplaying peaceful kind person suddenly becoming a wanted terrorist.

If you can choose somewhere in preferences either you can or can not be the target of marshal, then  it is ok. Overall, i think this suggestion is somewhat inteteresting but requires additional thinking

Edited by McRamon

I like the concept but, as McRamon stated, I think the 'you were a terrorist all along!' thing wouldn't work unless you were informed of it well in advance.

Perhaps the arrival of a Marshall should be made at roundstart, and the event can occur from between 1230 and 1300, station time. Any individuals 'targeted' by the Marshall receive a notice at roundstart/late arrival a bit like Traitor Collab ("You suddenly remember that one time when you loitered in public - hopefully no Sol Gov Marshalls are on board today!"), or at least receive it 5 minutes before the Marshall arrives (or perhaps as soon as the announcement happens to let you know the Marhsall is coming). 

7 hours ago, Enginseer-42 said:

Personally, seeing the results it had on Bay, I disapprove of any and all SolGov activity in the area the station operates in.

Wait what? SolGov isn't a Bay thing. The have the Sol Central Government or SGC.

Ours is based out of something called the Trans-Solar Federation (TSF) which is shorthanded to SolGov.

Edited by Shadeykins

6 minutes ago, Enginseer-42 said:

When I was active there, they called it SolGov more often than not. Admittedly that was almost two years ago now.

Same shorthand I guess! I can't find any lore for it on their wiki beyond a law document.

3 hours ago, Enginseer-42 said:

Thanks, Sol Gov as opposed to SolGov, probably why I couldn't find anything beyond the two stub job pages and the law code.

Keep in mind that SolGov here is not the Solar Central Government, but is just a colloquialism for the Trans-Solar Federation.

It's not so much the name as the creep towards offloading authority off station. When it got to the point where security wasn't allowed to execute people because "What government would allow a corporation to do that?" Well..

9 hours ago, Enginseer-42 said:

It's not so much the name as the creep towards offloading authority off station. When it got to the point where security wasn't allowed to execute people because "What government would allow a corporation to do that?" Well..

I'm not sure about Bay's Nanotrasen, but our Nanotrasen plays by their own rulebook and has a relative stranglehold on governments trying to interfere with their business, both due to the nebulous laws surrounding conduct in space as well as their stranglehold on the plasma, and subsequently FTL, market.

On 7/3/2017 at 1:16 AM, McRamon said:

I can see a problem with someone roleplaying peaceful kind person suddenly becoming a wanted terrorist.

Even though the Marshal has an objective stating that Urist McCrewmember must be publicly executed for Terrorist Collaboration with Frontier Rebels, doesn't mean that Urist McCrewmember has actually collaborated with Frontier Rebels. It means that 5000 so light-years away some random SolGov Court has declared Urist McCrewmember guilty of Terrorist Collaboration without him present to even defend himself, Urist is guilty in the Marshal's eyes unless he hears otherwise from SolGov.

On 7/3/2017 at 1:16 AM, McRamon said:

If you can choose somewhere in preferences either you can or can not be the target of marshal, then  it is ok. Overall, i think this suggestion is somewhat inteteresting but requires additional thinking

On 7/3/2017 at 7:41 AM, JMJ_99 said:

Perhaps adding on what McRamon Said, the ability to choose what crimes your character can get targeted for and the severity of it

Unless I change completely what the Marshal is, it doesn't really work. The Marshal is intentionally in conflict with the Crew and Security, adding a system to attempt to avoid that conflict would really remove the purpose of him spawning, wouldn't it? A crewmember can't avoid being targeted by a Traitor despite them roleplaying a peaceful person as example, not to imply that the Marshal has the free reign to act like a Traitor reaching Greentext though.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:35 AM, Ralta said:

I like the concept but, as McRamon stated, I think the 'you were a terrorist all along!' thing wouldn't work unless you were informed of it well in advance.

Perhaps the arrival of a Marshall should be made at roundstart, and the event can occur from between 1230 and 1300, station time. Any individuals 'targeted' by the Marshall receive a notice at roundstart/late arrival a bit like Traitor Collab ("You suddenly remember that one time when you loitered in public - hopefully no Sol Gov Marshalls are on board today!"), or at least receive it 5 minutes before the Marshall arrives (or perhaps as soon as the announcement happens to let you know the Marhsall is coming). 

This is a good point, if a SolGov Marshal spawns, the entire crew can wonder if they are the one who he is going to get a death mark on. You could have most of the crew "Suddenly remember" a crime they committed off-station, but at the same time it also reinforces that you've actually done the crime the Marshal is declaring you guilty of. Onto the idea of the Marshal arriving at round start, everyone will know what the Marshal is there for, when he randomly gets his list of Lawbreakers, and it breaks balance to add a free projectile stun weapon to the station.

On 7/3/2017 at 8:10 AM, Enginseer-42 said:

Personally, seeing the results it had on Bay, I disapprove of any and all SolGov activity in the area the station operates in.

What were the results on Bay which you personally disliked which resulted from "SolGov" operating on the station? The SolGov Marshal doesn't have any operational authority upon the station besides Security letting him sentence, fine, and execute Lawbreakers. Nothing is actually stopping some Security Officer from just straight up shooting the Marshal anyways because he wants to electric chair the Bartender on the Bridge for everyone to see, since they supposedly Organized a Protest.

18 hours ago, Enginseer-42 said:

The SolGov Marshal arrives on the station to sentence people to crimes not listed in Space Law, extort money from crewmembers for slight transgressions, and has a chance to also be sent to publicly execute someone in front of a crowd of Civilian crewmembers. Urist McMarshal shouldn't be concerned with enforcing some other layer of bureaucracy on the station, when they are actively trying to hunt down "runaways". Also, I don't believe they'd be to concerned with executing people, since they'd be usually sent with arranging a execution for someone for way less than Murder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use