Possible changes in Legal SoP

Landerlow

I've been playing as Lawyer/IAA for quite some times, and I have been imprisoned some times also, and not always permabrigged of course. I have read the Legal SoP and I would like to point out some things and suggest some changes:

Long trials should stay reserved for capital crimes. However, I would like to see more lawyer roleplay, more legal representation for prisoners. Currently, this is almost never done, because of mostly a single sentence in the legal SoP. I quote: "Security is not obliged to provide legal representation".

The above quote is written in the SoP in relation to trials, however, I feel that it extends to, or is applied to, by security as a whole, getting lawyers for criminal defense in general. Even if I, as lawyer, 'lose'  a case, even a short one over a non-perma sentence, it is still nice to see roleplay being carried out. And let's face it, even if it isn't permanent, 30 minute sentences, etc, or even 15 minutes, are quite 'long'  sentences, because all the prisoner is is stuck in a cell. Often they go SSD or kill themselves.

I would like to scrap "Security is not obliged to provide legal representation" and change it to "Security is not obliged to provide legal representation if there is sufficient proof of a crime having been committed by [said prisoner].

I would like to put more emphasis and detail on the processing part of the suspect/prisoner process. Processing is where most things happen. Even interrogations. While we have interrogation rooms for that specific purpose.

I would like to see security actually take lawyers/IAA seriously instead of just dismissing any and all legal representatives.

Thoughts? Ideas?

• Like 1

I agree. Trials would also help with the whole "We don't have evidence so we're going to keep him in processing while we get evidence" issue. Gives the detainee something to do rather than being bucklecuffed to a chair for 10 minutes.

Honestly security is usually so busy I don't really deal with crimes that require gathering evidence unless it's something really important like a murder. If it's some sort of a he said she said crime that isn't even a major offense, I'll just let them off with a warning and tell them to stay out if trouble. Its not worth the time spent investigating or argueing with the accused. Don't have time for it cuz there us too much other stuff going on, and it helps improve that person's view of security cuz I'm giving them a break.

Completely legal per space law too. Security (or anyone else who sentences people), at thier discretion, is allowed to let off anyone with a warning or parole regardless of the crime. Can literally even do this for crimes that would constitute throwing them in perma, tho I don't for perma-able crimes.

It's not a matter of not WANTING to do it, it's a matter of needing to prioritize things

Edited by ZN23X

Sure, I'm all for providing legal representation, on the caveat that the perp in question is detained until conclusion of the trial.  This includes pre-trial evidence gathering and such, getting a jury together, etc etc.

What, you thought "I want a lawyer!" is a get out of jail free card?  Call for a trial for a 5 minute sentence, you can wait the 30-45 minutes it takes to organize one, locked in the brig.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use